Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Interior Trim Painting (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296952)

ShadowPuppet 05-21-2013 08:53 PM

Interior Trim Painting
 
5 Attachment(s)
Just spent the last hour or so prying the trim off the interior of my Camaro so I could paint it and thought I'd post some pics of before/after. I only took off the steering wheel trim and the gauge bezels for now because I'm told doing the A/C vents requires the entire dash to be removed.

So here are pics before the painting and I will post pics of afterwards when it's done :D

The Stig 05-21-2013 08:57 PM

Only the center piece requires removing the dash. The side ones can be removed no problem.

ShadowPuppet 05-21-2013 08:58 PM

Oh yea? Any guides on removing those? And any guides for removing the whole dash? Lol

TwentyTen2SSRS 05-21-2013 10:41 PM

I will be watching I want to do the same I was going to plasti dip with blue blaze and glossifier.

How'd you get steering wheel bezel off??

ShadowPuppet 05-21-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS (Post 6573148)
I will be watching I want to do the same I was going to plasti dip with blue blaze and glossifier.

How'd you get steering wheel bezel off??

Carefully take the airbag off lol. On the sides of the airbag/horn there are two small holes. Push those in with a screwdriver or something, there's two metal "springs" in there.

Push that in then gently pull each side of the airbag off. Be careful cuz there's two plugs on the back that you don't want to rip out. Then just disconnect those and the bezel pops right off

angie7 05-22-2013 10:47 AM

I painted mine, pic in my Sig. Makes a huge difference!! Good luck

Forcer 05-22-2013 10:52 AM

please dont forget to unplug your negative battery cable. and let the car sit 10-15 minutes before you start messing with the airbag please.. =p good luck, be gentle with the plugs, if you break a clip your airbag light comes on.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowPuppet (Post 6573173)
Carefully take the airbag off lol. On the sides of the airbag/horn there are two small holes. Push those in with a screwdriver or something, there's two metal "springs" in there.

Push that in then gently pull each side of the airbag off. Be careful cuz there's two plugs on the back that you don't want to rip out. Then just disconnect those and the bezel pops right off


ShadowPuppet 05-22-2013 11:08 AM

Oh absolutely. I wouldn't think of touching anything like that with the battery connected lol. I got it off successfully last night without breaking anything so should be good :) just running to the store now to grab some grease and wax remover then starting the paint :)

The Stig 05-22-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowPuppet (Post 6572633)
Oh yea? Any guides on removing those? And any guides for removing the whole dash? Lol

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244655

ShadowPuppet 05-22-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6574828)

Ty :)

TwentyTen2SSRS 05-22-2013 11:35 AM

Airbag thing has me scared... LOL.

The Stig 05-22-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS (Post 6574898)
Airbag thing has me scared... LOL.

It's easy. Just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery - wait 15 minutes, and you're good to go.

TwentyTen2SSRS 05-22-2013 12:54 PM

Sounds good.. I was considering blaze blue plasti dip on gauge bezel and steering wheel bezel? Thoughts? If I go this far should I just actually paint it?

Thought was it could be reversible if needed...

ShadowPuppet 05-22-2013 03:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS (Post 6575226)
Sounds good.. I was considering blaze blue plasti dip on gauge bezel and steering wheel bezel? Thoughts? If I go this far should I just actually paint it?

Thought was it could be reversible if needed...

Personal preference really but I painted mine because I wanted it to match exactly to the exterior colour :)

I'm sure you could get away with either really...

Sidenote: Just finished the last coat of clear now so here are some updated photos :D (2 coats adhesion promoter, 3 base coat, 4 clear coat btw)

First: before clear, Second: after clear.

I've also painted my key fob as well but it's not shown in the pictures. I'm letting the paint dry overnight and will do installation tomorrow :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.