Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Roasted my clutch at the track. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299126)

camaroRND2 06-01-2013 12:30 PM

Roasted my clutch at the track.

So last night me and a friend of mine both with cammed camaros roasted our clutches at SGMP which was the popular thing last night with several other cars. Anyways haven't really done much research on clutches since I got rid of my 4th gen awhile back what are some of ur recommendation with a car soon to be expecting a whipple supercharger.

H-E 06-01-2013 03:32 PM

Check out Street Slayer.com as well as the feedback on this site,if you have any questions give me a call anytime and ill be glad to help you out...

blufin 06-01-2013 09:55 PM

Do an internet search for Street Slayer reviews. There's a lot of happy owners out there that love the clutch, including me.

SSE 4 2SS 06-01-2013 10:31 PM

Street Slayer FTW....

camaroRND2 06-02-2013 06:14 AM

Thanks guys everytime I have done a search street slayer seems to ominate the result probally for a reason.

SSE 4 2SS 06-02-2013 11:51 AM

Ok. My perspective.

When we built my motor with the twins, I knew we would need a better than stock clutch. I looked for a while and choose an ACT twin disc. It was fine if you don't mind an on off switch clutch. At first, honestly I didn't. I thought, I've got a high powered car, (793 hp at the time) so I have to give up some creature comforts...

I might still have the clutch were it not for having the transmission out for something else, and discovering the the clutch was eating itself. We sent it back to ACT, they modified it a bit and it was a little better but certainly not good.

Several trans removals later, I made the decision to get a different clutch, and shopped to the end of the Internet.

I talked to other big hp people, and finally to Street Slayer. Tommy told me the truth in a very concise method. I didn't know at the time it was the truth, but it turned out to be.

My triple disc Street Slayer holds everything I've thrown at it... Almost twice the hp listed above, and it engages like the stock clutch did on the street. The light switch is gone. It is a more expensive clutch, but the results are most assuredly worth it. It can also be rebuilt for way less then new. No more throwing away the clutch and flywheel and starting over...

I'll never buy another brand of performance clutch...

Whipped416 06-02-2013 12:36 PM

I second that .. Triple carbon street slayer here and has been awesome!!
850 rwhp and rwtq with not 1 single issue!

drayco513 06-02-2013 02:12 PM

street slayer or mcCloud rxt

BigMatt 06-02-2013 02:53 PM

I have the twin carbon street slayer on mine with a whipple. It holds the power no problem and drives smooth!

urr2slo 06-09-2013 10:00 PM

I've been running the CenterForce Twin Disc for 3 years, just turned 60k on this clutch, love it. Over 40 track days as well.
Did I mention I'm at 713 rwhp. you wont regret going CenterForce.

H-E 06-12-2013 08:45 PM

THANKS GUYS!!!:thumbup:

camaroRND2 06-13-2013 10:23 AM

Hey guys thanks for all the ideas and I would have went with Slayer clutch but I got a good deal on the mantic 9000. I have a friend who is in need of a clutch too and I pretty much convnced him about the slayer.

DuskSS 06-13-2013 10:32 AM

Lethal uses the Mantics on most of their high HP cars.
Should be fine.

willhe64 06-13-2013 10:49 AM

You high HP M6 guys, what mods have you done to your TR6060's to hold that kind of power?

SSE 4 2SS 06-13-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willhe64 (Post 6665533)
You high HP M6 guys, what mods have you done to your TR6060's to hold that kind of power?

After removing the trans and rebuilding it with upgraded parts five (5) times, I was at a loss...

I was at the time talking to three different aftermarket manufacturers that work with the 6060.

I found out through discussion that one of the companies made and sold the parts the other two bought, so I went to the source...

I got my trans, the whole unit, from Rockland Standard Gear...

Most trans companies that build HP transmissions, build them for the drag strip. 1st - 4th gear. This wouldn't work for me... I need to be able to stand on the gas in 5th gear... and possibly 6th before too long... Standing Mile runs take more than 4 gears, and a friend of mine blew up two transmissions by getting after the program in 5th gear... Full boost, lots of power, boom went the factory gear...

So, I paid premium dollars for a custom one-off built trans from RSG.

1st through 5th are billet pieces, as are all the shafts. The output shaft is twice the size of the factory piece, and it's 4310 material if I remember correctly...

The trans has triple cone carbon fiber synchros, bronze pads etc...

It also has an internal shift mechanism rather than the floating shifter like the factory and some premium aftermarket pieces.

Our problem was not being able to shift into the lower gate gears... 2nd, 4th and 6th... As the motor was torquing, the trans followed it, and it created some issues with the linkage... and yes, this was with performance motor mounts great big solid CNC machined units with little silicone pads... They are beefy...

With my new trans, all of the linkage is contained inside the tailshaft housing, and the shifter follows along with the movement of the trans due to torque.... Old school....

The trans is extremely expensive, I could buy over two factory transmissions for what I paid for this one, but it works.... like warm butter... I haven't missed a shift since it was put in...

This trans and my triple carbon clutch from Street Slayer have given me the peace of mind and confidence that I no longer worry about missing shifts or breaking the trans...

Now I just need to George at RSG to build me a billet 6th gear...

Sorry... :doh:

To answer more concisely...

Upgraded shafts... billet gears... carbon fiber synchros, upgraded follower pads, etc...

Depending on your HP goals and racing desires, call any of these vendors and talk to them about what you want to do... All of them will help you out...

RKT56,
RPM,
Rockland Standard Gear.... Talk to George if he is available, he owns the company...

willhe64 06-14-2013 11:33 AM

Why not toss in a Lenko or Jericho instead?

SSE 4 2SS 06-14-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willhe64 (Post 6669834)
Why not toss in a Lenko or Jericho instead?

I looked, but cost and driveability were a huge factor. A sequential trans isn't as street friendly as claimed by some, and the cost was out of this world. I looked at a new one, six speed, multiple shifter handles and it was in the 28-30 K range...

I also looked at faceplating one like the Lingenfelter Black Pig but again, street manners were in question...

willhe64 06-15-2013 08:52 AM

Can you please tell me what your current setup cost you then?

SSE 4 2SS 06-15-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willhe64 (Post 6673146)
Can you please tell me what your current setup cost you then?

PM sent...

SSE 4 2SS 06-15-2013 12:31 PM

Here is a thread I did about the Trans change and problems, resolutions etc...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210039