Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Should I Buy A Manual Transmition Camaro (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299137)

iFly 06-01-2013 01:53 PM

Should I Buy A Manual Transmition Camaro
 
1 Attachment(s)
I am planning on buy a 2010 Camaro 2SS. It is a manual. I have never driven one nor do I have any friends that I can try there manual car out. I have looked up many videos on youtube on how to drive it and did research so theoretically, I know how to drive a stick shift. Appearantly everyone says it is a lot more fun. I live in a town so no traffic at all and a lot of open roads. Also close to my house I can take the country roads with a lot of curves and dips and hills. No stop and go traffic at all. Do you guys think I should go for it and buy a manual. I think I will like it? But I can't really tell. Never heard of anyone say they bought a manual and don't like it. I would think in an automatic you have more control and it is safer (if you are always paying attention) since you have to do less work in case you need to react and have both hands on wheel. But I really think it will be a lot more fun than an automatic from what I have heard.

EastWood-SS 06-01-2013 02:06 PM

Get the manual, i was in the exact same position as you... the Camaro was my first manual and I decided to get it to do the whole Camaro thing right. Within 2 days you'll learn it.

I took 1 hour of manual driving @ the local driving school in preparation because I had no car to practice on like you, worked wonders.

Pretty much everyone drove manual back in the day, hell 16 year old girls can do it, so can you. :lol:

You can get an auto and enjoy it for a day... or get a manual and enjoy it for life. :thumbsup:

LMC2013 06-01-2013 02:10 PM

I vote manual, some people prefer automatics but I couldn't live without the manual transmission. I have a lot of fun going through the gears.

Mersades 06-01-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iFly (Post 6615849)
I would think in an automatic you have more control and it is safer (if you are always paying attention) since you have to do less work in case you need to react and have both hands on wheel. But I really think it will be a lot more fun than an automatic from what I have heard.

I had to share my story on this topic.

I have driven a manual ever since I earned my license. Raven came into my life unexpectedly and I couldn't pass her up. She is an auto, and I was open minded to trying one since I had never owned an auto.

I honestly have found that I am MORE distracted with the auto because of the fact my hands are free. I am a "fidgeter" and this is probably why I have enjoyed driving manual so much. To be honest, I am hunting for a manual transmission to trade for and it is in part due to the fact I want more of my attention back on driving the car. Mostly I just miss it... There is so comparison to the interaction with the vehicle that a manual gives you.

That said! It does come down to personal preference, and there is so shame in going either route. You really won't know what you prefer until you spend time with both transmissions. I definitely think you should try it! You will at least know how to drive one afterwards, which is a skill that is becoming more and more rare. :thumbsup:

45thAnniversary2SS 06-01-2013 02:16 PM

Do it. This was first manual car I've ever had. Driven friends manuals here and there, but very rarely so I basically learned on this car.

Took about 30 minutes... Now I don't even think about it. Just start in driveway finding release point of clutch consistently then venture out into neighborhood and then let her rip.

CyberPunk223 06-01-2013 02:20 PM

ehh, sometimes shifting gears gets old, take some classes or buy yourself a $1000 Junker car with a manual to learn & get used to it and then decide,

it would really suck to buy a car you can't even test drive..

A SS Camaro is about the worst car to learn in, too much power & heavy.

BRAVO 2SS 06-01-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 6615923)
ehh, sometimes shifting gears gets old, take some classes or buy yourself a junker car with a manual to learn & get used to it and then decide,

it would really suck to buy a car you can't even test drive..

A SS Camaro is about the worst car to learn in, too much power & heavy.

Don't Hate because you have an automatic V6!

OP...go for it. Get the manual...you will learn quick and enjoy the hell out of it.

SteelCamaro 06-01-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 6615923)
ehh, sometimes shifting gears gets old, take some classes or buy yourself a junker car with a manual to learn & get used to it and then decide,

it would really suck to buy a car you can't even test drive..

A SS Camaro is about the worst car to learn in, too much power & heavy.

I disagree. My 2SS 45th was the first ever manual car I drove, and the car I learned on, and it was/is a blast.

OP, get the manual, you will pick up on it quickly and won't regret it! Just approach it with some patience, don't get frustrated/discouraged, and you will be fine. Once you get the muscle memory ingrained in you, the worry about having to react quickly and not knowing what to do goes away, because it's all automatic. If you're really concerned, just try to avoid areas or situations that might put you in that spot. When I first started, one of the shorter routes back to my house involved a fairly steep hill. There was a flatter route, but it was also longer. I generally took that long way around most of the time until I got more comfortable. Do whatever you need to do, and good luck on your decision!

marticus24 06-01-2013 02:30 PM

Yes, do it!! Mine is my first manual as well. I already 'knew' how from doing it once or twice over the last 10 years, but had never owned one and driven one regular. I can't imagine the car as an auto, honestly.

PalmerGA 06-01-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mersades (Post 6615898)
I honestly have found that I am MORE distracted with the auto because of the fact my hands are free. I am a "fidgeter" and this is probably why I have enjoyed driving manual so much.

Sorry, but that's just weird. I would say you are easily distracted regardless of what kind of transmission you might have. When you drive a 4,000 pound car with significant power (even the V6) you need to have your attention on everything going on around you... in front, behind, to both sides, gauges, feel of the ride, etc. There is plenty going on while driving properly (and safely) to keep your "fidgeting" in check.
:lol:

PalmerGA 06-01-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iFly (Post 6615849)
I am planning on buy a 2010 Camaro 2SS. It is a manual. I have never driven one nor do I have any friends that I can try there manual car out. I have looked up many videos on youtube on how to drive it and did research so theoretically, I know how to drive a stick shift. Appearantly everyone says it is a lot more fun. I live in a town so no traffic at all and a lot of open roads. Also close to my house I can take the country roads with a lot of curves and dips and hills. No stop and go traffic at all. Do you guys think I should go for it and buy a manual. I think I will like it? But I can't really tell. Never heard of anyone say they bought a manual and don't like it. I would think in an automatic you have more control and it is safer (if you are always paying attention) since you have to do less work in case you need to react and have both hands on wheel. But I really think it will be a lot more fun than an automatic from what I have heard.

Either will be fun to drive. The roads you describe may be more fun to drive on with a manual but, you really need to know how to drive one before you make a major investment in a powerful sports car. Find someone who will let you drive their stick before making a decision.

jravenfan 06-01-2013 02:48 PM

I wouldn't want someone learning on my brand new car so I'm not so sure buying something you don't know how to drive is a great choice. Manuals can be more fun but learn to drive one before you buy.

Dupree878 06-01-2013 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My ex bought a mustang without knowing how to drive it. I had to pick it up, and after an hour in a deserted parking lot, she drove it home.
As long as you have a friend to get it somewhere safe, you'll be fine.

I had to special order mine with a manual because apparently everyone around here wants an auto

13FastBlkSS 06-01-2013 03:44 PM

I too like some other members learned to drive a manual transmission on my 2SS, I wouldn't change anything.. I love my M6, despite me living in California with traffic, I have never gotten "tired of shifting" and I never will.. It comes down to personal preference in the end..

LMC2013 06-01-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 6615923)
A SS Camaro is about the worst car to learn in, too much power & heavy.

:laughabove:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jravenfan (Post 6615990)
I wouldn't want someone learning on my brand new car so I'm not so sure buying something you don't know how to drive is a great choice. Manuals can be more fun but learn to drive one before you buy.

:doh:

....I would want to learn on a new car...even better to learn on a car that has a clutch under warranty....even if it's not...big deal, youll be buying clutches either way, that car will survive

I learned stick on my first car at 15, it's not hard and I would want more power when learning stick..I would imagine it's harder to stall with more power.

Mari' 06-01-2013 04:35 PM

Is it true that the manual SS has 26 more HP than the automatic SS?? I'm having trouble deciding as well which one to go with.

BigPopa71 06-01-2013 04:42 PM

Been in the position as you before. I have nothing against an automatic but a manual is always the way to go. The transmission last longer as well as brakes. You also have more control over the vehicle. I live in Metro DC area and the traffic is only second to LA and um a big Son of a gun and I drive my 6 speed all over the city with no issues. Go with the manual 6 you won't be sorry!

StangKiller-SS 06-01-2013 04:54 PM

May have a few extra HP on paper but in truth the L99/A6 & LS3/M6's are very close to each other in performance. If you buy a manual, buy because you want a manual, and not because of the HP rating.

I'm probably looking at getting another IBM Camaro SS next year & letting my wife have our RJT Camaro A6 SS that we have now. I know I will be debating between going for my first ever M6 or sticking with an Auto the whole time especially if all I find are M6's at that time. I've always wanted to try a manual performance car, but fear that I couldn't handle the aspects of getting going on hills from a stop, and things like that since I've never driven a manual before in my life. I only guess it gets easier with experience though, I personally love to hear thoughts from others who have went from years upon years of only auto's to driving a manual and how that switch to driving a manual had went.

wally mayfield 06-01-2013 05:00 PM

I'm really old, and i got the manual..

DagoCountyGee 06-01-2013 05:22 PM

Get the manual.

VcrusaderV 06-01-2013 05:48 PM

I've owned both, manual for sure. You'll wish you had a manual if you go auto.

LSXaddict 06-01-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS (Post 6616472)
May have a few extra HP on paper but in truth the L99/A6 & LS3/M6's are very close to each other in performance. If you buy a manual, buy because you want a manual, and not because of the HP rating.

I'm probably looking at getting another IBM Camaro SS next year & letting my wife have our RJT Camaro A6 SS that we have now. I know I will be debating between going for my first ever M6 or sticking with an Auto the whole time especially if all I find are M6's at that time. I've always wanted to try a manual performance car, but fear that I couldn't handle the aspects of getting going on hills from a stop, and things like that since I've never driven a manual before in my life. I only guess it gets easier with experience though, I personally love to hear thoughts from others who have went from years upon years of only auto's to driving a manual and how that switch to driving a manual had went.

You won't have to worry about hills! Chevy took care of that on 13 and newer manuals by leaving your breaks applied until your clutch is nice and roasted and then it releases you from your brakes tight embrace. This magic is called Hill Start Assist or HSA.:facepalm:

@OP: Go for the manual. I commute in dense traffic every morning and don't regret the 6 speed one bit.

BigBlock69RS 06-01-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS (Post 6616472)
May have a few extra HP on paper but in truth the L99/A6 & LS3/M6's are very close to each other in performance. If you buy a manual, buy because you want a manual, and not because of the HP rating.
.

Only if you are talking 1/4 mile, road racin and autoX are a different story.

yellowrs 06-01-2013 05:59 PM

We just had a thread like this last week!
Make a long story short Automatics are for women.
Men drive stick shift :)

thepirate 06-01-2013 06:01 PM

manual


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.