Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   1LE Rear Tire Size (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299194)

Arodr395 06-01-2013 06:13 PM

1LE Rear Tire Size
 
Are the rear tires on the 1LE wide enough? Because I know in certain photos the rear tires look too skinny.

1Slow6.2 06-01-2013 06:19 PM

285's are pretty damn wide IMO.. I get compliments everywhere I go.


Sent from my hip pocket.. While slapping 5th.. As your reading my plate

Jc's1LE 06-01-2013 06:20 PM

they are stretched for a reason to keep more foot print on the road when you are out tearing up turns

The Stig 06-01-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Slow6.2 (Post 6616755)
285's are pretty damn wide IMO.. I get compliments everywhere I go.


Sent from my hip pocket.. While slapping 5th.. As your reading my plate

you're*

Arodr395 06-01-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Slow6.2 (Post 6616755)
285's are pretty damn wide IMO.. I get compliments everywhere I go.


Sent from my hip pocket.. While slapping 5th.. As your reading my plate

I agree that 285's are pretty wide, but then again you have to remember that the Camaro is a pretty big car for a sports car. I like my cars to have a wide stance in the rear, and in my opinion I feel that the 1LE would look better if it had the 305 rear tires that the ZL1 has.

Cody6.2 06-01-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jc's1LE (Post 6616763)
they are stretched for a reason to keep more foot print on the road when you are out tearing up turns

Ummmm, no...

cornerspeed92 06-01-2013 07:11 PM

Thats exactly why they are stretched.They found that this is the set up that makes the 1LE one of the best handling cars on the road, period.

BigBlock69RS 06-01-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody6.2 (Post 6616842)
Ummmm, no...

Actually yes, a stretched tire on a rim will handle better than the same sized tire on a narrower rim. Ie find the widest rim that will fit and get the narrowest tire on that rim.

Now looks are a different story...

Cody6.2 06-01-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS (Post 6616914)
Actually yes, a stretched tire on a rim will handle better than the same sized tire on a narrower rim. Ie find the widest rim that will fit and get the narrowest tire on that rim.

Now looks are a different story...

Yet the tire/wheel combo that does the most work aren't like this......

racerx1214 06-01-2013 07:32 PM

There was an quote from one of the engineers that stated that was the reason.

I believe them.

They understand things better than a hillbilly with a mullet car thinking wider is always better.

Cody6.2 06-01-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerx1214 (Post 6616978)
There was an quote from one of the engineers that stated that was the reason.

I believe them.

They understand things better than a hillbilly with a mullet car thinking wider is always better.

The same engineers also said the larger lower grille on the 2014 let more air in. Yet if you actually look at it the actual opening is the same if not smaller than the 2010-2013.

I guarantee if you put a ZL1 rear tire on a 1LE that handling would be better not worse.

racerx1214 06-01-2013 07:58 PM

I guarantee you're wrong.

Bozz1LE 06-01-2013 08:01 PM

The reason they are 285 is for neutral handling, cars with wider rear tires tend to be less consistent/predictable on the track. Running a square set of tires gives a better more in tune feel to the car and is much more predictable, 285 seems to be that nice medium.

Ive been running time trials, lapping days and autox's for about 10 years now and noticed that driving a car square set of tires gives you a bit more confidence as well.

Bozz1LE 06-01-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody6.2 (Post 6616985)
The same engineers also said the larger lower grille on the 2014 let more air in. Yet if you actually look at it the actual opening is the same if not smaller than the 2010-2013.

I guarantee if you put a ZL1 rear tire on a 1LE that handling would be better not worse.

probably loose a second per lap with a 305 rear.

racerx1214 06-01-2013 08:10 PM

Maybe Cody knows more than this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16nyCdbVdM8

You know, the engineer of the car.

Check the 40 second mark if you need to get right to it.

Cody,

http://careers.gm.com/#.html

You might as well apply here, to take this guy's place.

cornerspeed92 06-01-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerx1214 (Post 6617086)
Maybe Cody knows more than this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16nyCdbVdM8

You know, the engineer of the car.

Check the 40 second mark if you need to get right to it.

Cody,

http://careers.gm.com/#.html

You might as well apply here, to take this guy's place.

I don't think so,but my question is, when you're so wrong(Cody)why do you keep coming back for more? when im wrong i just shut the hell up.

Cody6.2 06-01-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerx1214 (Post 6617086)
Maybe Cody knows more than this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16nyCdbVdM8

You know, the engineer of the car.

Check the 40 second mark if you need to get right to it.

Cody,

http://careers.gm.com/#.html

You might as well apply here, to take this guy's place.


Do you ever look at your car underneath or from any kind of technical aspect? If you did it would be pretty clear that things weren't made from a what's best perspective. This car was built to match a picture someone with little car knowledge drew up.

racerx1214 06-01-2013 08:19 PM

Bro.


Nobody's wrong on the internet.

Cody6.2 06-01-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 6617106)
I don't think so,but my question is, when you're so wrong(Cody)why do you keep coming back for more? when im wrong i just shut the hell up.

That's just it as a square set of wheels/tires (same dimensions front & rear) is just that not stretched tires on the back.

Cody6.2 06-01-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerx1214 (Post 6617113)
Bro.


Nobody's wrong on the internet.

Common sense would kill this place.

racerx1214 06-01-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody6.2 (Post 6617109)
Do you ever look at your car underneath or from any kind of technical aspect? If you did it would be pretty clear that things weren't made from a what's best perspective. This car was built to match a picture someone with little car knowledge drew up.


What does this have to do with you being completely wrong about the topic we are currently speaking of.

I had a GTO and a Coyote Mustang before this.

You are most likely a better engineer than the designers of those two cars as well because this platform looks lightyears more solid underneath or from a "technical" aspect than either of the above.

racerx1214 06-01-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody6.2 (Post 6617115)
That's just it as a square set of wheels/tires (same dimensions front & rear) is just that not stretched tires on the back.

Have you been drinking?

:noidea:

white1LE 06-01-2013 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't road race so I installed the 305's for looks and grip in a straight line. Someone already said it, wider body needs a fatter tire as far as appearance goes.

Arodr395 06-01-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerx1214 (Post 6617086)
Maybe Cody knows more than this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16nyCdbVdM8

You know, the engineer of the car.

Check the 40 second mark if you need to get right to it.

Cody,

http://careers.gm.com/#.html

You might as well apply here, to take this guy's place.

Does having the same tire size in the front and the rear make a car handle better and gives better times around the track? Or does having the tire stretched in the rear just create a better performing car around the track?

Cody6.2 06-01-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerx1214 (Post 6617125)
What does this have to do with you being completely wrong about the topic we are currently speaking of.

I had a GTO and a Coyote Mustang before this.

You are most likely a better engineer than the designers of those two cars as well because this platform looks lightyears more solid underneath or from a "technical" aspect than either of the above.

My last few cars were 2006 GTO, 2007 C6, 2012 Camaro and now a 2014 Mustang GT. So I must say that I got a pretty good chuckle out of that statement. Just like I laugh every time one of you mention engineers like they gave a **** about half the stuff you're talking about.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.