Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Another front Fascia mismatch (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29922)

CamaroSSforme 06-29-2009 09:16 AM

Another front Fascia mismatch
 
Alas I will be filing a warranty claim on this as soon as I can. My front clip so mismatches the hood and fenders that I've had complete strangers mention it to me. As other have said, it depends on lighting as to how badly it shows up, but it does show.

We'll see what I'm told.

Rallyman6 08-22-2010 11:48 AM

My IOM has the same issue

billyspeed 08-28-2010 09:13 AM

almost every new car, any brand, any model, on any dealer lot in any town usa has this issues. it is because the car is painted seperate from the plastic parts... bumbers mirrors handles.. ect. the car/body is painted by electrostatic then baked at a high temp, i think 350-400 degrees cant remember the exact number, but a lot higher then the plastics could ever be baked at. the plastics are done with another paint process more like at a body shop would use. therfore the colors are not a perfect match.

if you look at cars at dealers lots you will see this more and more once the eyes are aware of it, must people never notice till you point it out on some cars. some colors are better, some are much worse.

any way ive been a painter for 17 years and have heard this complaint many times.. and most cases they will not cover or warranty such an issue.
its kinda of up to the shop if they wanna help you out. you can also call any bodyshop and they will tell ya the same story. i no that sucks to hear but just wanted to give you a little back story on the isssue. good luck and let us no how you make out.
also the only way to fix it 100% is to repaint the bumber-hood-and 2 fenders. dont let them try just repainting the bumber, cuz you want the mettalic flakes to all lay down the same when repainted.
there is also a post under this section on mismatched paint. give that a read as well

Mr_Draco 08-28-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyspeed (Post 2270930)
almost every new car, any brand, any model, on any dealer lot in any town usa has this issues. it is because the car is painted seperate from the plastic parts... bumbers mirrors handles.. ect. the car/body is painted by electrostatic then baked at a high temp, i think 350-400 degrees cant remember the exact number, but a lot higher then the plastics could ever be baked at. the plastics are done with another paint process more like at a body shop would use. therfore the colors are not a perfect match.

if you look at cars at dealers lots you will see this more and more once the eyes are aware of it, must people never notice till you point it out on some cars. some colors are better, some are much worse.

any way ive been a painter for 17 years and have heard this complaint many times.. and most cases they will not cover or warranty such an issue.
its kinda of up to the shop if they wanna help you out. you can also call any bodyshop and they will tell ya the same story. i no that sucks to hear but just wanted to give you a little back story on the isssue. good luck and let us no how you make out.
also the only way to fix it 100% is to repaint the bumber-hood-and 2 fenders. dont let them try just repainting the bumber, cuz you want the mettalic flakes to all lay down the same when repainted.
there is also a post under this section on mismatched paint. give that a read as well

:word:

I agree with everything except for one thing.

New mass produced cars are NOT baked. Baking requires 3-4 hours of them sitting in an oven however within 30 minutes of being painted the cars receive their interior.

2010 SSRS 08-28-2010 04:21 PM

wow, that definitely sux.

Tallboy 08-28-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 2271896)
:word:

I agree with everything except for one thing.

New mass produced cars are NOT baked. Baking requires 3-4 hours of them sitting in an oven however within 30 minutes of being painted the cars receive their interior.

Wrong.

The primer is baked on. The color coat goes through a flash oven, then after the clear is applied it gets baked on. You can see it on the "Ultimate Factories:Camaro" show on National Geographic. Just because it doesn't take three or four hours doesn't mean it's not baked.

SSLarry 08-28-2010 06:31 PM

Hondas never have this issue, but then again, Hondas aren't as cool :)

buzzy56 08-28-2010 06:47 PM

Bake or no Bake-Just like them dammed cookies.Decisions,decisions what is a guy or gal going to do????

cab2g 09-18-2010 08:49 AM

I noticed the paint mismatch on my SW the day I picked it up. I mentioned it to the dealer he said it was because the bumpers were plastic. It's not terrible, I just wish that with all our technology, they could figure out a way to make white look like the same white on both plastic and metal surfaces :)

80Zedder 09-28-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 2271896)
:word:

I agree with everything except for one thing.

New mass produced cars are NOT baked. Baking requires 3-4 hours of them sitting in an oven however within 30 minutes of being painted the cars receive their interior.

Ummm, no. It takes almost a full shift for a camaro to recieve its interior from the starting point in the paintshop.

And the cars are baked in several stages. Do some research next time please.

DIGthat2SS 10-11-2010 07:38 PM

My car was delivered to the dealership with a V shaped dent on the roof with paint chipped throught the whole dent and then around the dent.The dealer ship said they would fix it for free and its unacceptable.Then they return my a car with an orange roof.my car is VR btw...

Sc0rPs 10-11-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGthat2SS (Post 2430306)
My car was delivered to the dealership with a V shaped dent on the roof with paint chipped throught the whole dent and then around the dent.The dealer ship said they would fix it for free and its unacceptable.Then they return my a car with an orange roof.my car is VR btw...

Wow... for me it was of been so unacceptable I would have refused delivery of the car. Who knows what else got banged up in transport? You're paying for new... so you should get new.

ffrcobra_65 10-12-2010 03:37 PM

coats are baked on, a very loud bell goes off when baking is done . ;)

The bumpers were not painted at the factory however. Combine that fact with the fact they are plastic = perceived (mostly) paint mis-match, exaggerated by the angle of view and lighting.

f5journal 10-14-2010 11:03 AM

I think the base coat matches the rest of the car, but the clear coat on the bumpers is affected by flex agents and such. The mismatch is always in the direction of the bumpers being yellower and shows up on Summitt White probably the most. Even the painted ditch moulding on my SW 2SS/RS is yellower than the top

DWALEX 10-15-2010 08:18 AM

:mad0260::mad0260:my car have four weeks in the body shop, the fender mismatch


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.