Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   CTS-V brake upgrade (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299799)

Rob21sf 06-04-2013 01:47 PM

CTS-V brake upgrade

Ok, if I went with a 09-12 CTS-V calipers for my V6, what brake rotors, brake pads and SS lines is recommended by the experts!

I do not track or drag race the car and it's a daily driver. Just looking to get peoples opinion on what are the components I can use with these calipers. :iono:

Doc 06-04-2013 01:58 PM

If you don't track the car, then why would you want to upgrade to CTS-V brakes? Just get stock SS Brembos which are more than good for street and daily driver use. A good street pad combined with stainless steel brake lines will be perfect for the street.

camaro actual 06-04-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6627943)
If you don't track the car, then why would you want to upgrade to CTS-V brakes? Just get stock SS Brembos which are more than good for street and daily driver use. A good street pad combined with stainless steel brake lines will be perfect for the street.

+1

CHMSC 06-04-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rob21sf 06-04-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro actual (Post 6628021)
+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 6628036)
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for showing me the light, I guess SS brake upgrade will be fine for my intended use.

tjd24 06-04-2013 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

My thoughts exactly - for my 2010 A6 I went for the 1LE calipers/rotors (pic shows them on their spindles, love the red) that GEN5diy offered in the sponsor classified brake section.

SSOOCH 06-04-2013 03:35 PM

IMO keep the brakes you have.

camaro4mybday 06-04-2013 05:27 PM

i do not track my car and i upgraded to the cts v set up because i wanted them. i went with r1 rotors, pedders brake lines, hawk pads which i dont recommend just dont forget the new master

Firefighter 06-04-2013 05:45 PM

If GM ever comes out with the ZL1 brake upgrade (and it's priced right) you might see some more upgrades done. The CTS-V set up will be my second choice.

By the end of the year I will be making my move one way or the other. I'm sure there will be a number of us doing the same.

SPCBA 06-04-2013 06:42 PM

ummm zl1 brakes are already available....also to the above poster 1le brakes are ss brakes just with red calipers

toehead93 06-04-2013 06:46 PM

Yeah I agree if are not track ng the car then no point in CTS-V upgrade. The stock SS upgrade will be plenty of improvement.

jordan 572 06-04-2013 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I don't and I upgraded my brakes on my ss with the JDP package cause they look so ba. Especially with the wheels I have, the brakes stick out, the 6 piston brakes look massive next to the oe brakes.

Firefighter 06-04-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6629370)
ummm zl1 brakes are already available....also to the above poster 1le brakes are ss brakes just with red calipers

The ZL1 upgrade package is not available last time I talked to my parts guy (today) you can buy a pieced together from the part numbers kit from one of the vendors but it's pretty pricey. I'm figuring/ hoping that the ZL1 kit will be closer to the CTS-V pricing.

As far as the 1LE calipers just being red SS calipers... I know that. I was speaking in general of SS brakes. A lot of people want red calipers. I personally can't stand them. They work great though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

speedmon 06-05-2013 12:50 AM

As long as the V6 spindle is the same as the SS(bolt up), I think you should stongly consider the CTS-V calipers.....there is very little cost difference between the calipers....(on Amazon) and any cost difference is well worth the "Bad Ass" effect....like the other guy said.

And your car weighs almost as much as the SSs......so it needs just as much brake.

The amount of work is the same.....just depends if you want 4P or 6P.