Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I really need advice, what would you do? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299986)

nyrfan 06-05-2013 07:20 AM

I really need advice, what would you do?
 
Hello C5, I am coming to you all for help/advice!

My 2013 SS has had several issues since purchased in Nov 2012, luckily none seem to be major in nature. With that said I have invested and continue to invest (although not as much as I would like), into the car I love it and don’t want to get rid of it but it may come to that.

There are a couple of issues that have been fixed multiple times now, yet continue to be an issue. For instance a continual OnStar light on the frameless mirror, a loud/squeaky seat, MyLink issues and a couple of other small issues. There is also still a smell from the vents (some of you may have seen my post on this), but I "think" this may be diminishing and is really becoming an afterthought. At this point the seat is my biggest concern and then the OnStar issue. For the recored there is a TSB for the seat, that has been done, when that didn't work the entire seat was swapped, even that did not work. I know the seat may seem a bit trivial but having a squeaking/knocking seat while driving is quite annoying, especially since the car has less the 4K miles.

GM is involved and yesterday gave me a couple of options:
1- Give them another opportunity to repair the car to my satisfaction, if I agree they will send a field tech to supervise the repairs
2- GM buys back the vehicle
3- Trade the vehicle at market value and they’ll contribute a small amount to a new Camaro. As of the last offer I calculate I'd be out 3-4K if I went this route.

3 is not an option. No way will I lay out money to get into a new car. I did that the 1st time around (you'll read about this below), no way will I do it again.

I am leaning towards # 1 as I still love the car and have hopes all the issues will be resolved and I can begin to enjoy my car. I really cannot see myself in any other car!

But I am also thinking of going the buyback route as I am completely frustrated that the issues have not been corrected. Add to the fact I traded my V6 for the SS because it took 4 attempts to fix an oil leak at which point I lost confidence in the car. I lost money on this trade and now the new car is having issues, so you can probably see why I am really frustrated. If I go the buyback route that will be the end of the road for the Camaro and GM cars overall. I will never go back into another GM car should I go this route. Yes I know other manufactures have issues but right now my issue is with Chevy/GM.

So I am not sure what to do? This has put unneeded stress on my already stressful life. Would I be stupid to allow GM to attempt another fix? The only reason I am considering it is because I love the damn car so much but at the same time I cannot continue to have issues, especially issues that should be seemingly easy to repair.

So I guess I am looking for advice and words of encouragement. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

benji1997 06-05-2013 08:19 AM

As mentioned in another thread, I am having annoying Mylink issues. What may I ask are your Mylink issues?

toesuf94 06-05-2013 08:47 AM

I would go with Number 1 with the stipulation that if the fix fails, they buy it back and they get you a new car. (The way you wrote that, it would seem that with option number 3 you "Trade the vehicle at market value and they’ll contribute xxx to a new Camaro." means they pay the difference.)

Good luck.

HaulnSS 06-05-2013 08:56 AM

My thought would be option 1, I assume the other options still are on the table if option 1 fails.

vroomapunk 06-05-2013 09:00 AM

I would go with #1, then if that doesnt work, id trade it in at market value + extra cash from them, and make the dealer give you a deal that leaves little to no out of your pocket (they have already made a ton of money off of your warranty work im sure).

Be sure you are familiar with lemon law limitations etc, so you dont lose that option from time passing

nyrfan 06-05-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toesuf94 (Post 6631658)
I would go with Number 1 with the stipulation that if the fix fails, they buy it back and they get you a new car. (The way you wrote that, it would seem that with option number 3 you "Trade the vehicle at market value and they’ll contribute xxx to a new Camaro." means they pay the difference.)

Good luck.

Thanks, I have corrected # 3 to be more accurate as they would not pay the difference, only a small amount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaulnSS (Post 6631683)
My thought would be option 1, I assume the other options still are on the table if option 1 fails.

And yes, my assumption is 2 and or 3 would still be available to me should the fixes fail again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 6631699)
I would go with #1, then if that doesnt work, id trade it in at market value + extra cash from them, and make the dealer give you a deal that leaves little to no out of your pocket (they have already made a ton of money off of your warranty work im sure)

The problem is if I go the trade route, the difference out of pocket after what they are offering would be about 3K-4K. I've have read about my States lemon law and still have plently of time if needed. I really, really hope in never comes to that and that this can be resolved directly between myself and GM.

Sir Nuke 06-05-2013 09:03 AM

personally, I woulkd go with #1....and what I would do is to ensire that the Field Tech is there when you deliver the car to the dealer, and YOU and He/She go for a ride so that they can see the issies FIRST HAND, such that he will KNOW when it fixed to your satisfaction......and then if he/she can't accomplish that.....then #2 kicks in.

Hyena 06-05-2013 09:03 AM

i would find out how much they are willing to contribute to a new camaro then make a decision,just make sure you put it back to 100% stock condition as GM will not pay you for those aftermarket parts.

Hannibal 06-05-2013 09:04 AM

Wow, what a let down. I've read all of your threads and understand why you're feeling the way that you do.

Like another poster has already said, give it one more try with a field tech and then a buy back would certainly be a fair final decision.

What car are you thinking about trying next? I ask because there are days when my SS acts up and I start to dream about an SRT8 Challenger.

caverman 06-05-2013 09:05 AM

If they will try to fix and then if that doesn't work will do a buy back....why wouldn't you do that?

When they say buy back, are they going to pay off your note and then cut you a check for the difference of what you paid?

dwinva 06-05-2013 09:06 AM

If you really do like the car, go with option 1 with the stipulation that if it does not work then you will exercise option 2 (as another person wrote).

FYI..I picked my 2013 SS last July 5. On July 12 it was back at the dealer for 8 days due to an Onstar issue. They tried replacing three different modules before replacing the mirror, which solved the issue.

Are you happy with the dealer? Is going to another dealer an option?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

suzook 06-05-2013 09:08 AM

Wow, talk about bad luck. 2 lemons? Are these cars known to be so troublesome?

nyrfan 06-05-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 6631707)
personally, I woulkd go with #1....and what I would do is to ensire that the Field Tech is there when you deliver the car to the dealer, and YOU and He/She go for a ride so that they can see the issies FIRST HAND, such that he will KNOW when it fixed to your satisfaction......and then if he/she can't accomplish that.....then #2 kicks in.

Good advice and I did tell the GM rep I would not drop the car off until the Field Tech was there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyena (Post 6631709)
i would find out how much they are willing to contribute to a new camaro then make a decision,just make sure you put it back to 100% stock condition as GM will not pay you for those aftermarket parts.

I know the amount, and I'd be still short 3-4K on a trade

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannibal (Post 6631711)
Wow, what a let down. I've read all of your threads and understand why you're feeling the way that you do.

Like another poster has already said, give it one more try with a field tech and then a buy back would certainly be a fair final decision.

What car are you thinking about trying next? I ask because there are days when my SS acts up and I start to dream about an SRT8 Challenger.

I am thinking the same car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 6631715)
If they will try to fix and then if that doesn't work will do a buy back....why wouldn't you do that?

When they say buy back, are they going to pay off your note and then cut you a check for the difference of what you paid?

no note, so a straight buy back, check for car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwinva (Post 6631716)
If you really do like the car, go with option 1 with the stipulation that if it does not work then you will exercise option 2 (as another person wrote).

FYI..I picked my 2013 SS last July 5. On July 12 it was back at the dealer for 8 days due to an Onstar issue. They tried replacing three different modules before replacing the mirror, which solved the issue.

Are you happy with the dealer? Is going to another dealer an option?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I happen to really like the SM at the dealer, he is a great guy, but maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe I am putting to much faith in his department because I happen to like him. Going to another dealer at this point would make little sense since GM would be sending a tech to supervise the repairs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzook (Post 6631725)
Wow, talk about bad luck. 2 lemons? Are these cars known to be so troublesome?

The jury is still out if the 1st car was a lemon or just an incompetent mechanic. Allthough the latter seems to be the case from comments made by the SM.

AmericanMuscleCars 06-05-2013 09:17 AM

I would go with option 1, thats because I love my car WAY too much. I would have them keep fixing it due to the fact that they will eventually get it, you can also get all mad at them and they might strip everything out and replace everything to cover all of the bases in the interior. I would see if they fixed it. If they didn't go to the dealer and tell them they need to fix it and you bought this car at a price point where this stuff shouldn't happen. Thats what I would say.

baum 06-05-2013 09:28 AM

IMO option 2.5.. Gm buys the vehicle back and you get a new one if you desire.

I had a friend who has an explorer. they lemoned his bought it back. and then he got a new one. the dealer tried to have him pay more because the new one was a new model year and hod more features. in the long run he got them to do an "even" swap.

Monchy36 06-05-2013 09:50 AM

Option 1! If you keep smiling every morning when you look at her deserve a one more try... and since you will have option 2 if 1 fail you got nothing to lose! I really hope this get resolve! Is going to be sad see you leave...:happy0180:

nyrfan 06-05-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars (Post 6631761)
I would go with option 1, thats because I love my car WAY too much. I would have them keep fixing it due to the fact that they will eventually get it, you can also get all mad at them and they might strip everything out and replace everything to cover all of the bases in the interior. I would see if they fixed it. If they didn't go to the dealer and tell them they need to fix it and you bought this car at a price point where this stuff shouldn't happen. Thats what I would say.

It's not that simple. I have a full time job, I cannot contiune to bring a car in for repairs that continually need to be redone. While I'd love to have the time and resources to do that, I as well as many, don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monchy36 (Post 6631838)
Option 1! If you keep smiling every morning when you look at her deserve a one more try... and since you will have option 2 if 1 fail you got nothing to lose! I really hope this get resolve! Is going to be sad see you leave...:happy0180:

Thanks! Believe me when I tell you I have no desire to leave but at eventually it just begins to wear on a person. I'm hopeful that at some point I could look back on this all and just laugh as I cruise down the road in my Camaro.

01pewterz28 06-05-2013 10:05 AM

Felix just a FYI when I did the lemon law back in 1992 on my 92 Z28 GM purchased the car back and I was able to trade into a vehicle of equale value at that time it was a 1994 Z28 with the same options the price difference was my 1992 Z28 was around $17k, and the new Z28 was $24k. I had to pay nothing out of pocket GM and the dealership worked that out between them.

Worst case let them buy ti back they have to give you full purchase price the only downside is if you put any money down you are SOL.

Best of luck I think they will get this right this time.

AmericanMuscleCars 06-05-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan (Post 6631851)
It's not that simple. I have a full time job, I cannot contiune to bring a car in for repairs that continually need to be redone. While I'd love to have the time and resources to do that, I as well as many, don't.

Thanks! Believe me when I tell you I have no desire to leave but at eventually it just begins to wear on a person. I'm hopeful that at some point I could look back on this all and just laugh as I cruise down the road in my Camaro.

I completely understand, sorry. I just personally love my car too much to give it up. I would see if they would fix it the first time, if not try it one more time if you have the patience and then look at option #2 like Sir Nuke said.

tramtwo 06-05-2013 10:28 AM

GM knows that they only get so many bites at the apple to fix an issue. Give them the car, take your loner and let them know you will not take receipt of the vehicle until ALL issues have been resolved.

As someone who went through a heartbreaking ordeal with a prior Camaro which ended in a GM buyback, you do not want those headaches.... a very time consuming and frustrating process.

If these issues are solved drive down the road happy. If not, you will have to put forth a tremendous amount of time and effort to be rid of the car in a way that does not cost you. My buyback, because I stayed with a GM product, didn't cost me a penny not even TT&L... as it should be.

BTW My seat squeaked until I moved it forward less than an inch from the full back position. My MYLINK is glitchy and my mirror flashes the OnStar warning symbol often. I have learned to wait, as none of these issues are critical and I will let GM practice the fixes on others and THEN let them at mine.

Good Luck.

nyrfan 06-05-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 6631971)
GM knows that they only get so many bites at the apple to fix an issue. Give them the car, take your loner and let them know you will not take receipt of the vehicle until ALL issues have been resolved.

As someone who went through a heartbreaking ordeal with a prior Camaro which ended in a GM buyback, you do not want those headaches.... a very time consuming and frustrating process.

If these issues are solved drive down the road happy. If not, you will have to put forth a tremendous amount of time and effort to be rid of the car in a way that does not cost you. My buyback, because I stayed with a GM product, didn't cost me a penny not even TT&L... as it should be.

BTW My seat squeaked until I moved it forward less than an inch from the full back position. My MYLINK is glitchy and my mirror flashes the OnStar warning symbol often. I have learned to wait, as none of these issues are critical and I will let GM practice the fixes on others and THEN let them at mine.

Good Luck.

Thanks. My overall preference would be to have the issues fixed, worse case I'd like an even swap. I find it somewhat appalling they could suggest a trade and would require me to pay money out of pocket. As I mentioned I did this the 1st time (paid out of pocket), that was very dumb of me.

tramtwo 06-05-2013 10:37 AM

Buybacks of GM products are mainly done MSRP to MSRP. GM can, depending on your state, charge you for mileage on your current car. Again, Good Luck.

http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line-lemon-law/

Ringo64 06-05-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 6631707)
personally, I woulkd go with #1....and what I would do is to ensire that the Field Tech is there when you deliver the car to the dealer, and YOU and He/She go for a ride so that they can see the issies FIRST HAND, such that he will KNOW when it fixed to your satisfaction......and then if he/she can't accomplish that.....then #2 kicks in.

:word:
IMO this is some of the best advice given.

As well, I would get clearly defined (in writing, if you haven't done so) each option that GM is offering. Then also what is available if after said option 1 is not at your satisfactory.

paul84043 06-05-2013 12:02 PM

Well, the chances that they are going to fix everything are pretty slim. Problems like yours that are vague or not addressed by a line by line TSB are typically too complicated for the average garage monkey and since they don't have a time standard to work against....they will most likely give it little more than lip service.
Best bet is to do exactly what the dealer will do, dump it onto someone else and get on with your life. Sorry, not the most glamorous solution in the world, but you have two choices. Deal with the problems, or don't.
At that point it's no longer your problem, the dealer will probably move it to another lot, probably in another state if possible and still have to deal with the issues.
See what kind of deal they're willing to cut you and get away from the car asap.
If you've had your fill, then another mfg. will probably be more than happy to consider getting your business.
Just my .02 cents.

nyrfan 06-05-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo64 (Post 6632172)
:word:
IMO this is some of the best advice given.

As well, I would get clearly defined (in writing, if you haven't done so) each option that GM is offering. Then also what is available if after said option 1 is not at your satisfactory.

I did ask for everything in writing, waiting on a reply.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.