Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   The One With The 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - World's Fastest Car Show Episode (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300504)

Fenderaddict2 06-07-2013 11:22 AM

The One With The 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - World's Fastest Car Show Episode
 


Not sure if you have seen this before, good vid of Justin Bell tearing around in a ZL1. See, other Mustang drivers appreciate this car.

Quote:

The Camaro ZL1, a parking structure and permission to drive flat out, would you say no? Neither could we. Watch as Justin unleashes the fury of the beastly ZL1 in the ultimate concrete playground before taking it to the track to experience the car's inherent track capabilities. Between the screeching wheels and the Inferno Orange paint scheme, this Camaro ZL1 is impossible to ignore; especially if you're the cops.

NOT URSS 06-07-2013 11:24 AM

heck ya

bw26ss 06-07-2013 11:29 AM

I fell asleep watching that

sportyb24 06-07-2013 02:07 PM

Get it get it

2012-1822 06-07-2013 03:13 PM

Guy is funny talking about "the 69 ZL1 was a success" and this one is a tribute. Dude doesn't know what he's talking about. Look, I have a ZL1, so do yall, I have the t shirt that says DNA match, and the matching hat, but the only thing our cars have in common with the '69 is that they are Camaros, ok, and have a ton of hp. Hell, the new Z/28 seriously is really a lot closer to a 69 ZL1. A Stripped down 427 Camaro

KKreme15 06-07-2013 04:05 PM

lol @ the 69 being a huge success. Nobody even knew about them back then

45thAnniversary2SS 06-07-2013 04:09 PM

How does the SS create negative downforce? Too much air getting below it or air moving faster over than below creating lift? Just curious...

Cool video.

G-Oil Guy 06-07-2013 04:18 PM

Of course they gave him an IOM one to blow around the desert. :drool:

G-Oil Guy 06-07-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS (Post 6642270)
How does the SS create negative downforce? Too much air getting below it or air moving faster over than below creating lift? Just curious...

Cool video.

The same way an airplane wing does. If you look at the car from the side, you have a swooping hood and a giant opening into the engine bay that just guzzles air.

The swoop in the hood creates a low pressure zone since the air loses velocity as it travels over the swoop thus creating a low pressure zone where as at the same time, air is slamming into the engine bay at a relatively unobstructed path. This creates a zone of higher pressure. It may not be a ton but it's just enough to create lift. Now do that for the entire car. The bottom of the car is a relatively straight path (High pressure zone) and the air passing over the car creates a low pressure zone and all of the individual pressure zones add up to a negative down force vector or in other words, a positive lift vector.

EDIT: video. skip to 45 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk6rNFVc1Gs

SlingShot 06-07-2013 05:05 PM

^^^^

Correct, and it is designed this way intentionally to increase mpg.

ItsBlk&ImProud 06-07-2013 05:21 PM

What he's saying about the 69 ZL1 is BS. There were only 69 built, a success no, legendary, yes. That's where the DNA comes from, the 69 ZL1 was not a production car like today's version.

2cnd chance 06-07-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsBlk&ImProud (Post 6642596)
What he's saying about the 69 ZL1 is BS. There were only 69 built, a success no, legendary, yes. That's where the DNA comes from, the 69 ZL1 was not a production car like today's version.

Yeah they couldn't even sell all the 69

DRTH VDR 06-07-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6642965)
Yeah they couldn't even sell all the 69

But they bring high six figures today, something else our 12-13's won't be doing either.

45thAnniversary2SS 06-07-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy (Post 6642334)
The same way an airplane wing does. If you look at the car from the side, you have a swooping hood and a giant opening into the engine bay that just guzzles air.

The swoop in the hood creates a low pressure zone since the air loses velocity as it travels over the swoop thus creating a low pressure zone where as at the same time, air is slamming into the engine bay at a relatively unobstructed path. This creates a zone of higher pressure. It may not be a ton but it's just enough to create lift. Now do that for the entire car. The bottom of the car is a relatively straight path (High pressure zone) and the air passing over the car creates a low pressure zone and all of the individual pressure zones add up to a negative down force vector or in other words, a positive lift vector.

EDIT: video. skip to 45 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk6rNFVc1Gs

Bernoulli's principle right? Makes sense, thanks.

G-Oil Guy 06-07-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS (Post 6643071)
Bernoulli's principle right? Makes sense, thanks.

Yep. It's all Berny's fault. It's why the ZL1 has the hood extractor. It hels cool the engine but it takes some of the lifting force out of the engine bay and redirects it over the top of the car.

I love the fact that an equation a mile long can be reduced to a few terms that make it a manageable endeavor.

Pro Stock John 06-07-2013 08:05 PM

super boring who is that guy anyway

Silverguardrail 06-07-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKreme15 (Post 6642254)
lol @ the 69 being a huge success. Nobody even knew about them back then

I did :biggrin:

hognutz 06-07-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS (Post 6642270)
How does the SS create negative downforce? Too much air getting below it or air moving faster over than below creating lift? Just curious...

Cool video.

yes. If I remeber correctly the ZL1 was the first GM product to actually generate Downforce.

The corvettes have areo package than minimize lift but do not generate downforce. My Z06 felt fairly stable even at 180 or so the fastest I even had the car but that design still generated lift and I was going strait line only. My 2001 mustang GT felt real floaty 150+ so I never drove it there much. the fastest I had the SS on the test drive was 120 but it was less inspiring than my Z06.

The SS just does not have much in the way of aero package. No car out there generates downforce without some kind of aero package installed.

KKreme15 06-07-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hognutz (Post 6643448)
yes. If I remeber correctly the ZL1 was the first GM product to actually generate Downforce.

The corvettes have areo package than minimize lift but do not generate downforce. My Z06 felt fairly stable even at 180 or so the fastest I even had the car but that design still generated lift and I was going strait line only. My 2001 mustang GT felt real floaty 150+ so I never drove it there much. the fastest I had the SS on the test drive was 120 but it was less inspiring than my Z06.

The SS just does not have much in the way of aero package. No car out there generates downforce without some kind of aero package installed.

The zr1 doesn't create downforce?

G-Oil Guy 06-07-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6642965)
Yeah they couldn't even sell all the 69

Um...I do believe you are wrong.

50 were bought by one dealer alone for his racing enthusiasm. Once word got out another 19 were made and were ordered by a smaller number of dealers. As far as I've been able to research, the cars were all released into the wild.

EDIT: I take that back, most were sent out but some were sent back and some had their engines ripped out and replaced with others so we were both sorta wrong.

roSSco 06-07-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKreme15 (Post 6643565)
The zr1 doesn't create downforce?

I've heard that the ZL1 is the first GM production car to create positive down force. Since the ZR1 came first, I would assume that is correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

jashobbsie 06-07-2013 10:13 PM

Best video I've seen yet...fun! Long live the ZL1... needs black rims though.. :) thanks for sharing.

BAD ZL1 06-08-2013 01:21 AM

New video for me
 
Maybe this has been posted before, but it was fun to watch, new for me. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEGeQdicYs

hognutz 06-08-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKreme15 (Post 6643565)
The zr1 doesn't create downforce?

I don't belive so just have very minimal lift with its areo package.

BAD ZL1 06-08-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jashobbsie (Post 6643682)
Best video I've seen yet...fun! Long live the ZL1... needs black rims though.. :) thanks for sharing.

Agree, black rims makes this car!:thumbup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.