Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   What is this part? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301351)

mudchick_alicia 06-11-2013 04:00 PM

What is this part?
 
This may have been asked before. I searched but no answer found. This piece is on all the brembo's on my car and I am changing all the rotors and have already changed the brake pads to the hawk pads but on the front calipers this piece sits loose....it was tighter and didn't move with the stock brake pads. What does it do and it is necessary to leave it on?? I highlighted what I am talking about in red its the brass looking piece. http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps80698536.jpg

JimE 06-11-2013 06:42 PM

Those are commonly referred to as the "roller skates". They are there to reduce the noise created by the stock pads. Since you have after market pads, I'm fairly sure they can be removed.

chvyman 06-11-2013 06:52 PM

looks like an anti rattle clip.

JusticePete 06-11-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chvyman (Post 6658694)
looks like an anti rattle clip.

Yep. It is the brake clip. The loose feel is due to the clip being recycled. Track guys re-use the pins and clips all the time. They are also checking them frequently. The preferred procedure is to replace the clips and pins with new pads for street use where the next brake inspection could be 20,000 miles and two years away.

mudchick_alicia 06-12-2013 11:45 AM

Thanks for the help......my husband had them on backwards.....lol Not sure how he put both the fronts on backwards but he got them turned around and they fit perfect.

Avalnch 06-19-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudchick_alicia (Post 6661146)
Thanks for the help......my husband had them on backwards.....lol Not sure how he put both the fronts on backwards but he got them turned around and they fit perfect.

Well putting them on backwards is MUCH easier since you don't have to fight the tension of the clips.

Avalnch 06-19-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 6659224)
Yep. It is the brake clip. The loose feel is due to the clip being recycled. Track guys re-use the pins and clips all the time. They are also checking them frequently. The preferred procedure is to replace the clips and pins with new pads for street use where the next brake inspection could be 20,000 miles and two years away.

Hey Pete,

I change all my pads about 6-8 times each year (swapping between street and track/autocross pads plus cleaning). Should I change out the pins and spring clips? Maybe at least have a set on hand incase something goes awry?

What do you suggest? Thanks.

JusticePete 06-19-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalnch (Post 6688051)
Hey Pete,

I change all my pads about 6-8 times each year (swapping between street and track/autocross pads plus cleaning). Should I change out the pins and spring clips? Maybe at least have a set on hand incase something goes awry?

What do you suggest? Thanks.

A spare set is a good plan with replacement once a year. When you are changing out pads that frequently you have the opportunity to notice if the pins are starting to drift out between swaps. Keep an eye on that and you should be good to go.

Avalnch 06-19-2013 09:56 PM

Thanks Pete. Pins are still nice and tight. I'll get another set though, just in case.

OmniCamaro 06-19-2013 10:12 PM

I thought with new pads we could remove the "roller skates"? Is that not true?

Avalnch 06-19-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniCamaro (Post 6691924)
I thought with new pads we could remove the "roller skates"? Is that not true?

Sorry, can't answer that as my stock brakes did not come with the roller skates. There are lots of threads on here about them and removing them, you should do a search.

Good Luck.

JusticePete 06-19-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniCamaro (Post 6691924)
I thought with new pads we could remove the "roller skates"? Is that not true?

Roller Skates and stick on wheel weights are there to add mass and reduce brake noise. They have no functional role in terms of stopping your Camaro. Feel free to throw the skates and weights in the garbage.

OmniCamaro 06-19-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 6692008)
Roller Skates and stick on wheel weights are there to add mass and reduce brake noise. They have no functional role in terms of stopping your Camaro. Feel free to throw the skates and weights in the garbage.

Thank you sir! I knew I'd read that here before but it's been a while.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.