Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   What's the most abrasive toothpaste? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301798)

AmericanMuscleCars 06-13-2013 10:06 PM

What's the most abrasive toothpaste?
 
Was thinking of trying it for a headlight restoration. I know there are set ad things out there but what is the most abrasive toothpaste, and will it work?

45thCamaro 06-13-2013 10:17 PM

I have an 04 cavalier. The headlights are sht. I tried turtle waxes headlight restorer kit, didn't work. I also tried wipe new, didn't work on my headlights but its freaking awesome for plastics.

If you find something that works post it up, maybe I'll try it.

Ricamaro 06-13-2013 10:20 PM

Helluva question but I googled and found this:

http://www.levysmiles.com/docs/Abras..._Toothpase.pdf

http://www.midtowndentalnyc.com/abra...n-toothpastes/

Colgate Tarter Control and Colgate 2-in-1 Tarter Control/White were listed as most abrasive;

Have no idea about effectiveness on plastic

ChadG 06-13-2013 10:34 PM

I really hope this works because I have one yellow headlight on our family truckster - the Honda CR-V. I've tried machine polishing it and it just laughed at me.

AmericanMuscleCars 06-13-2013 10:43 PM

Well I've seen that a really good sand paper for wet sanding like 2,500 grit wet sanding works and then polish. And get this, apply SPF 50 onto the headlight!

AmericanMuscleCars 06-13-2013 10:45 PM

You could probably try a mixture of baking soda and water too.

Glen e 06-13-2013 10:46 PM

headlights come clean for me using the following:
Flex Rotary with 3.5 in backing plate
4" Wool/Foam Hybrid Pad
Menzerna FG400
Opti Coat 2.0 to seal

before and after -a 2002 Honda:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...f9f408cb8e.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...s/null-167.jpg

Tecca 06-13-2013 10:48 PM

Well let's get technical and just make our own toothpaste

2 tbl. of Cocanut Oil
2 tbl of baking soda

Or just go and get baking soda toothpaste.

AmericanMuscleCars 06-13-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tecca (Post 6668290)
Well let's get technical and just make our own toothpaste

2 tbl. of Cocanut Oil
2 tbl of baking soda

Or just go and get baking soda toothpaste.

I say coconut oil, baking soda, and sand.

CamaroDreams07 06-13-2013 11:21 PM

This thread makes my brain hurt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AmericanMuscleCars 06-13-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 6668417)
This thread makes my brain hurt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Not as much as the #NoClue thread though!

Tecca 06-13-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars (Post 6668366)
I say coconut oil, baking soda, and sand.

I'll up you and lay down coconut oil, baking soda and emery powder.

Ricamaro 06-17-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tecca (Post 6668470)
I'll up you and lay down coconut oil, baking soda and emery powder.


I'll top that with coconut oil, baking soda and diamond dust.

AmericanMuscleCars 06-17-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricamaro (Post 6680536)
I'll top that with coconut oil, baking soda and diamond dust.

Ill top that with coconut oil, baking soda,and a block of TNT filled with diamond powder!

Tecca 06-17-2013 04:00 PM

Ok now are you guys talking diamond dust or diamond powder.

So I guess I will top you guys with cocunut oil, baking soda, and diamond powder. I don't think diamond dust would do much here.

AmericanMuscleCars 06-17-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tecca (Post 6681288)
Ok now are you guys talking diamond dust or diamond powder.

So I guess I will top you guys with cocunut oil, baking soda, and diamond powder. I don't think diamond dust would do much here.

Whatcha mean I did put diamond powder lol.

Tecca 06-17-2013 04:24 PM

:doh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars (Post 6681355)
Whatcha mean I did put diamond powder lol.


:doh: I was so excited about the TNT that I missed that :crazy:

R Kern 06-17-2013 05:09 PM

You DON'T want to use toothpaste. You DO have to actually use progressively finer grits of sandpaper (with water or a detail spray) to get the yellowing off before polishing.
Some kits have small pads with these different sanding grits, and a spray lube. I had good results doing this to an older Pontiac with just a simple Turtle Wax kit.

Tecca 06-17-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Kern (Post 6681683)
You DON'T want to use toothpaste. You DO have to actually use progressively finer grits of sandpaper (with water or a detail spray) to get the yellowing off before polishing.
Some kits have small pads with these different sanding grits, and a spray lube. I had good results doing this to an older Pontiac with just a simple Turtle Wax kit.

Well obviously, duh.

Although toothpaste will remove some oxidation on the light.

Jeffm 06-17-2013 10:00 PM

best all you guys and just buy a new one

ihaveacamaro 06-18-2013 10:36 AM

Btw, just in case for some very weird reason someone googles this question and finds this forum, all tooth pastes are very very very slightly abrasive. Thing menz 4500 but instead of 4500, try 20000.

The stiffness of the brush bristles are where the abrasion comes from.

Tecca 06-18-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro (Post 6684666)
Btw, just in case for some very weird reason someone googles this question and finds this forum, all tooth pastes are very very very slightly abrasive. Thing menz 4500 but instead of 4500, try 20000.

The stiffness of the brush bristles are where the abrasion comes from.

:sm0: :first:

How do you argue that

AmericanMuscleCars 06-18-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro (Post 6684666)
Btw, just in case for some very weird reason someone googles this question and finds this forum, all tooth pastes are very very very slightly abrasive. Thing menz 4500 but instead of 4500, try 20000.

The stiffness of the brush bristles are where the abrasion comes from.

Yeah I could see that not going over too well.

ihaveacamaro 06-18-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tecca (Post 6684784)
:sm0: :first:

How do you argue that

Side by side test on your lateral teeth? :sm0:

Next people will be saying that crest is relabeled menzerna :D

AmericanMuscleCars 06-18-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro (Post 6685245)
Side by side test on your lateral teeth? :sm0:

Next people will be saying that crest is relabeled menzerna :D

Ok, Im confused... :mad0259:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.