Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Anyone have their engine light come on and stay on...Advice please (Pic) (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30197)

DCJ 06-30-2009 07:13 PM

Anyone have their engine light come on and stay on...Advice please (Pic)
 
My check engine light came on this afternoon and Onstar did a dignostic on it and says something to do with my gas cap and it detecting vapor/fumes.... They said it appeared to be nothing major and they ask if I had just gotten gas recently, but I had not. Has anyone else had this happen. The only thing I did this afternoon when leaving my office is, I gunned it on a turn to get in front of traffic....so in other words I turned very sharp while getting on it. This is when the check engine light came on. I am taking her in to the dealership to have them do a MDI diognostic check. Could this just be a sensor that needs to be reset? Perfomrance is fine and she is running great but the light is still on and Onstar says the gas cap needs to be checked. I am hoping it is just a very sensitive sensor ;). If I have explained this correctly, does anyone know what this could be or does it sound like a simple sensor reset?

Here is a pic of what I am referring to....

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...nginelight.jpg

Thanks for the help and any advice as it would be greatly appreciate.

Don

FISHTAIL 06-30-2009 07:25 PM

You must not have tighten the gas cap enough. All you have to do is disconnect your battery cable for 5 minutes. Once you plug it back in it should clear out the code from the computer and you should be fine. You will probably lose you radio station settings and other setting you might have.

If it comes back then you will have to take it to the dealer to swap out your gas cap due to a faulty gasket or such. :thumbsup:

camaro envy 06-30-2009 07:25 PM

Don't know if this will help or not, but I've had this happen before and the cause was me not turning the gas cap until it clicks a few times...

Timberline 06-30-2009 07:26 PM

Make sure you gas cap tight. Make it click several times when tightening it esspecially after filling it up.

eapoll11 06-30-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISHTAIL (Post 636164)
You must not have tighten the gas cap enough. All you have to do is disconnect your battery cable for 5 minutes. Once you plug it back in it should clear out the code from the computer and you should be fine. You will probably lose you radio station settings and other setting you might have.

If it comes back then you will have to take it to the dealer to swap out your gas cap due to a faulty gasket or such. :thumbsup:

:word: i agree

DCJ 06-30-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberline (Post 636167)
Make sure you gas cap tight. Make it click several times when tightening it esspecially after filling it up.

I did do that. I pulled over after talking with Onstar earlier and checked it. All was tight and fine. I then went to the gas station and filled her up to see if that would reset it. At the time it popped on, I had a half a tank. it is odd that it came on when made that hard tune while gunning it earlier.

Just drove it to the store and it is still on.....ugh I did get on it pretty hard to make sure performance was there and all was fine. Always something...lol ugh

Banshee 06-30-2009 07:33 PM

Tighten your cap..will go away with key cycles.

DCJ 06-30-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISHTAIL (Post 636164)
You must not have tighten the gas cap enough. All you have to do is disconnect your battery cable for 5 minutes. Once you plug it back in it should clear out the code from the computer and you should be fine. You will probably lose you radio station settings and other setting you might have.

If it comes back then you will have to take it to the dealer to swap out your gas cap due to a faulty gasket or such. :thumbsup:


Cool...I will head to the garage and give that a try. With my luck....it will be a faulty gasket ... ;)

DCJ 06-30-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banshee (Post 636183)
Tighten your cap..will go away with key cycles.

Key cycles meaning after a few days or a few cranks from now? Should I even worry with taking it to the dealership in the morning do you think?

pmb1010 06-30-2009 07:40 PM

sometimes key cycles (key on, key off) will reset a check engine light.

Sometimes it goes off on its own.

Most times, it stays on util reset with ODBC code reader.

Autozone can read / reset codes for free. They have a generic code reader tool.

So can the dealer, obviously.

Banshee 06-30-2009 07:40 PM

If it is the gas cap, the computer (PCM) will relearn the normal code after throwing the code. It took a few days and key cycles (start and stop) for the SES light to go off in my T/A after I replaced the MAF, O2's or TPS.

Unplugging the battery IMO is not recommended as the entire car may have to relearn ALL the settings (A/F ratio, throttle settings etc.) over the same 40 or so cycling starts and you are only prolonging the fix. Car will run rough until relearns.

This is a simple problem that with a few days should fix itself. If after that, SES light stays on, see a dealer.

Banshee 06-30-2009 07:43 PM

And I wouldn't recommend starting and stopping the engine 40 times (or more) in succession to get the code to reset..give it time. no need to wear out and heat up starter/solenoid.

DCJ 06-30-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banshee (Post 636210)
If it is the gas cap, the computer (PCM) will relearn the normal code after throwing the code. It took a few days and key cycles (start and stop) for the SES light to go off in my T/A after I replaced the MAF, O2's or TPS.

Unplugging the battery IMO is not recommended as the entire car may have to relearn ALL the settings (A/F ratio, throttle settings etc.) over the same 40 or so cycling starts and you are only prolonging the fix. Car will run rough until relearns.

This is a simple problem that with a few days should fix itself. If after that, SES light stays on, see a dealer.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. It sounds like I should just keep my appointment with the dealer in the morning and let him run the MDI diognostic on it.

By letting the dealer do this, can he reset just that sensor without resetting the entire settings of sensors. I would hate to have to reset all the sensors as you stated the battery unplugging would do and then my car have to relearn the program again.

It almost sounds like I should just see if it fixes itself eventually....hmmm

mlee 06-30-2009 07:52 PM

I've seen this happen when filling up and topping off the gas too much, but you said this started with a half full tank...:iono: Banshee is right... Don't disconnect your battery cable, this would also erase trouble codes.

Give it a few more cycles and take to the dealer if it persists.:thumbsup: Possibly a bad gas cap

FISHTAIL 06-30-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banshee (Post 636221)
And I wouldn't recommend starting and stopping the engine 40 times (or more) in succession to get the code to reset..give it time. no need to wear out and heat up starter/solenoid.

Wow 40 times? I can smell the starter from here. :D

I say disconect the positive cable on the battery and be done with it in 5 min.

Gramps69Z 06-30-2009 08:37 PM

If I was having a problem with my new car it would go back to the dealer for repairs. Asking questions on how to fix a problem is doing nothing but causing more problems.

Banshee 06-30-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISHTAIL (Post 636271)
Wow 40 times? I can smell the starter from here. :D

I say disconect the positive cable on the battery and be done with it in 5 min.

Read what I posted within #11 and 12

"And I wouldn't recommend starting and stopping the engine 40 times (or more) in succession to get the code to reset..give it time. no need to wear out and heat up starter/solenoid".

Banshee 06-30-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z (Post 636400)
If I was having a problem with my new car it would go back to the dealer for repairs. Asking questions on how to fix a problem is doing nothing but causing more problems.

The SES light was affirmed by GM Diagnostics as a loose gas cap. How is that a "problem"? The diagnostic service is emailed to you automatically as part of the purchase.

The damn diagnostic that GM emails to you will tell you when a turn signal light is burned out. You going to tell me if someone asks how to change the bulb, you are going to have the same reply?

The problem IS FIXED...he tightened up a faulty (loose) gas cap. Being familiar with F body PCM's, the problem will self-correct over a set parameter of time. I highly doubt the gas cap went out within 1 month or 500 miles of purchase...Highly unlikely!

FISHTAIL 06-30-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banshee (Post 636652)
Read what I posted within #11 and 12

"And I wouldn't recommend starting and stopping the engine 40 times (or more) in succession to get the code to reset..give it time. no need to wear out and heat up starter/solenoid".

Just messing around with you!
I did read it. ;) :w00t:

Banshee 07-01-2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z (Post 636833)
You damn right I would, as long as it's under warranty I wouldn't touch it.

You forgot to tighten gas cap. IE, loose gas cap...

GM diagnostics sends you an email telling you your gas cap is loose.

Or

The alternative, your SES light comes on.

You just bought a 40k Camaro. You are going to tell me and the board that you are going to take your 2010 Camaro to the dealer for a loose gas cap after knowing it was for sure 100% a loose gas cap? A loose gas cap, or is the 1 in 1,000,000 chance it was a bad cap WILL NOT cause damage after a few days..if at all ever.

2010 Camaro $40k

Best of Barry Manilow CD $20

Royal pine scented pine tree air freshener 3 pack $3.99

The thought going through the tech's head when you bring him your car after you tightened the gas cap and after 10 of your fellow 2010 Camaro owners (and 1 mechanic) told him it would be fine after a few days and reset....

Priceless...

DCJ 07-01-2009 08:45 PM

Was out and decided to stop by AutoZone as someone suggested and let them run a code check. Was just a simlpe reset ;) Thanks AutoZone! Also thanks forum members for the adivce!!

Thanks

FISHTAIL 07-03-2009 02:01 PM

Glad you got it all worked out!

Dude Dealers just make everything complicated to look like they know what they're doing and charge a premium.

I try to avoid them like the plague :idiot:

If only those service writers had any mechanical experience it would go a long way but most of them just know how to BS at best and think the rest of us are morons.

DCJ 07-17-2009 01:03 PM

My wife just called me and the engine light has come back on again for the same thing....onstar says vapor/gas cap. Autozone reset it almost 3 weeks ago now and it has stayed off until now. She was not getting gas or anything and it has about a quarter of a tank. She said she cranked it up normally and it just showed up again.

Any thoughts? Same thing as last time? Should I run it by AutoZone and have them reset again and see if it comes back on? Staying off for 3 weeks and not coming back on right away when I had it reset is a good thing, but I wonder what could have set it off again...



Thanks for any advice!

toehead93 07-17-2009 01:58 PM

Just take to the dealer. Mine is going in tomorrow for a faulty gas tank pressure sensor.

oilman63 07-19-2009 08:17 AM

O K guys keep this thread on going.My engine light came on tuesday.5 days ago.onstar told me it was a fuel interuption.I had low fuel like a qurter tank.I was making a hard left.Tightened fuel cap.I've been waiting for light to go out myself.scheduled to go to dealer tommorrow.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.