Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ***Low Fuel Warning*** (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302074)

benji1997 06-15-2013 02:08 PM

***Low Fuel Warning***
 
I purposely tried running my fuel down as far as I dared. It was showing est. miles remaining of about 85 when I got the low fuel warning. After that it wouldn't show the estimated miles left anymore, only the "low fuel warning". It did bring up a list of nearby gasoline stations on the MyLink screen. I drove probably 2 miles and filled up. The tank took 14.9 gallons meaning I had 4.1 gallons left. I thought you guys (gals)might be interested if you ever saw the low fuel warning, how may gallons were still left in the tank about 2 miles after the warning appeared. Glad I could be of service.

Terryble 06-15-2013 02:15 PM

Eh, the mpg isnt extremely on most car anyway. Unless you use the same amount of throttle everytime. I had a budy that went ~75 miles in a focus with it reading 0 miles until empty.

batman53201 06-15-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terryble (Post 6673868)
Eh, the mpg isnt extremely on most car anyway. Unless you use the same amount of throttle everytime. I had a budy that went ~75 miles in a focus with it reading 0 miles until empty.


i think kramer did the same thing on seinfeld:D

benji1997 06-15-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terryble (Post 6673868)
Eh, the mpg isnt extremely on most car anyway. Unless you use the same amount of throttle everytime. I had a budy that went ~75 miles in a focus with it reading 0 miles until empty.

The point of my thread was there is about 4 gallons left in the tank once you see the warning sign. That is regardless of the mpg you get. If you get 1 mpg, you're in deep ****.

attymf 06-15-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batman53201 (Post 6673910)
i think kramer did the same thing on seinfeld:D

Kramer got way more than 75 miles :-)

benji1997 06-15-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by attymf (Post 6673925)
Kramer got way more than 75 miles :-)

Aren't you "the most important man in the world"?

sspolo 06-15-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benji1997 (Post 6673916)
The point of my thread was there is about 4 gallons left in the tank once you see the warning sign. That is regardless of the mpg you get. If you get 1 mpg, you're in deep ****.

I saw the point of your thread. There has been other people that have asked this same question and I am sure they will appreciate it! 4 gallons does seem like "a lot" to display the warning sign though. IMO.

SSpartan117 06-15-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspolo (Post 6673962)
I saw the point of your thread. There has been other people that have asked this same question and I am sure they will appreciate it! 4 gallons does seem like "a lot" to display the warning sign though. IMO.

Not really. My Silverado would display it around 50 miles or so left in the tank. And given how most of us drive our SS's 4x15=60 miles or so.

ExCrystal 06-15-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benji1997 (Post 6673853)
I purposely tried running my fuel down as far as I dared. It was showing est. miles remaining of about 85 when I got the low fuel warning. After that it wouldn't show the estimated miles left anymore, only the "low fuel warning". It did bring up a list of nearby gasoline stations on the MyLink screen. I drove probably 2 miles and filled up. The tank took 14.9 gallons meaning I had 4.1 gallons left. I thought you guys (gals)might be interested if you ever saw the low fuel warning, how may gallons were still left in the tank about 2 miles after the warning appeared. Glad I could be of service.

It really depends on the DIC. I know there's AT LEAST ~50 miles left when that light comes on.

However, there's a second warning system that kicks-in when the fuel level approaches empty (2 gallons? idk).

I had both kick in when Sandy hit and I had to travel from northeast NJ all the way to Pennsylvania to get gas with less than 1/4 tank :crazy:

jd10013 06-15-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspolo (Post 6673962)
I saw the point of your thread. There has been other people that have asked this same question and I am sure they will appreciate it! 4 gallons does seem like "a lot" to display the warning sign though. IMO.


they, and most car companies do it that way. go check any MB for any car and you'll see people bitching (not that the OP was) about having so much gas left when it reads near empty. for the life of me I don't know why that bothers people so much. but anyhow, so many people run their cars down to empty that they feel it's necessary. the funny thing is, despite this I still see at least one person a week walking down the road with a gas can in their hand.

kd4hey 06-16-2013 05:26 AM

In my 2011, I have consistently noticed it hitting the Magical "Fuel Low" warning message right around 40 miles. Maybe the set-up was different in different model years? I managed to maintain about 20/21MPG (according to the DIC), so that's NOT 4 gallons. Also typically when I fill up, she takes around 16 gallons or so. Just my 2 cents.

13BlackCamaroSS 06-16-2013 05:33 AM

Good info to have, thanks

benji1997 06-16-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd4hey (Post 6675899)
In my 2011, I have consistently noticed it hitting the Magical "Fuel Low" warning message right around 40 miles. Maybe the set-up was different in different model years? I managed to maintain about 20/21MPG (according to the DIC), so that's NOT 4 gallons. Also typically when I fill up, she takes around 16 gallons or so. Just my 2 cents.

Must be that ocean air from Cape Hatteras that affects your fuel gauge.

Nyx 06-16-2013 06:04 AM

My warning comes on at 38 miles to be exact lol and Actully two weeks ago I was a work and the warning came on after it did say 38 miles and I drove it maybe 10 and I Actully ran out of gas... (That day sucked) but yea I didn't drive it hard cuz it was on base so I was confused about that

Scott@Bjorn3D 06-16-2013 06:38 AM

The big thing to remember with these cars is the fuel pump is in the tank. If the tank gets to low the fuel pump can overheat and fail.

jd10013 06-16-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 6675971)
The big thing to remember with these cars is the fuel pump is in the tank. If the tank gets to low the fuel pump can overheat and fail.

plus it's easier for it to pump when it's submerged. because it has to pump fuel all the way to the front of the car, and do it under considerable pressure; it has to work hard enough as it is. you really don't need to make it even harder.

ponywars 06-16-2013 06:50 AM

mine comes on around 35 miles idk why your warning would come on so early
i avg 20.3 mpg

usually i fill in around 15.5 by the time i get the station

AbsoluteMayheM 06-16-2013 07:04 AM

Strange .. when my Low Fuel warning message comes on it says:

"Time to rob another bank!!"

Rod Knock 06-16-2013 07:13 AM

I have always driven my cars until the tank is almost empty. On cars (Chrysler products and older GM) where the reading would down to zero, most of the time I would drive it down to below a dozen miles left. After over a million miles - I never had a single fuel pump issue. If the pumps were prone failure from running the fuel tanks low - the manufactures would be shelling out too much for warrenty repairs. JMO

Mr_Draco 06-16-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benji1997 (Post 6673853)
I purposely tried running my fuel down as far as I dared. It was showing est. miles remaining of about 85 when I got the low fuel warning. After that it wouldn't show the estimated miles left anymore, only the "low fuel warning". It did bring up a list of nearby gasoline stations on the MyLink screen. I drove probably 2 miles and filled up. The tank took 14.9 gallons meaning I had 4.1 gallons left. I thought you guys (gals)might be interested if you ever saw the low fuel warning, how may gallons were still left in the tank about 2 miles after the warning appeared. Glad I could be of service.

Sorry but you're the odd ball out, having 4 gals left in the tank when the low fuel warning comes on is not normal.

I get the warning about every other week. I average 20-21 mpg and it comes on at 35 miles left. When I fill up, it takes about 16.5 gals.

jd10013 06-16-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Knock (Post 6676012)
I have always driven my cars until the tank is almost empty. On cars (Chrysler products and older GM) where the reading would down to zero, most of the time I would drive it down to below a dozen miles left. After over a million miles - I never had a single fuel pump issue. If the pumps were prone failure from running the fuel tanks low - the manufactures would be shelling out too much for warrenty repairs. JMO


in statistical terms, your whats called an outlier. no, there is no guarantee that running on empty all the time will cause you to need a new fuel pump. just as there is no guarantee that smoking will give you cancer. your just increasing your chances.

TOYBOY 06-16-2013 03:02 PM

I get this warning message at about 36-39 miles left

abaucom21 06-16-2013 03:10 PM

Good info but seriously! When you get to between 1/4 and 1/8th of a tank why do you wait for a warning light before you fill up?

nyrfan 06-16-2013 03:23 PM

The 1/4 fill line is my low fuel alert.


Sent from my 2SS/RS

TOYBOY 06-16-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abaucom21 (Post 6677021)
Good info but seriously! When you get to between 1/4 and 1/8th of a tank why do you wait for a warning light before you fill up?

cuz we in a damn recession!


:headbang:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.