Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Interesting Conversation with dealer today... (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302849)

mkorgan 06-19-2013 03:16 PM

Interesting Conversation with dealer today...
 
So there is not any real new news here so you may not care to read any further but I was at the dealer today get scheduled maintenance on the ZL1 done and so I thought I would go in and talk to Mike the owner of the dealership who is personal friend of mine. This dealership has been in his family for 47 years and he took over from his father about 19 years ago so he has been in the business for quite a while.

I am 2nd on the list for notifications when the Z/28 allocations are made so I asked him if he was concerned about getting an allocation and he said "absolutely not". He told me that allocation of the Z/28 are primarily based on the dealer sales of ZL1's over the last two years and that even though they have a very small dealership, their percentage of ZL1 sales versus overall sales was what GM was "more than likely" going to use as a metric to determine Z/28 allocations. He said he has sold 11 2013 ZL1's and 9 2012's which placed him in the top 20% across the country and top 10% in Florida from a percentage of sales perspective. He said the allocations of COPO's where handled much differently because it was sold through the part's department and not the normal sales channels. He said he expected GM to make "plenty" of Z/28's based on the reception of the ZL1 and thought it would not be overly difficult to get one.

He told me that he was selling any he got at MSRP, no markup. He believes that dealers who mark up the Z/28 too much may be underestimating the amount of Z/28's GM is going to produce. He thinks that is going to be a mistake. He estimates a number less than the ZL1,but not by much; something around the numbers for the first year ZR1. He says his approach will be to get as many as he can and sell them at sticker so that any next gen Camaro that has low allocations he will be high on the list at GM when those future allocations are made.

Finally, he said that GM envisions the Z/28 having an appeal far beyond the muscle car or Camaro crowd. GM is banking on the Z/28 pulling in a whole new group of buyers that have traditionally gone with Euro's or even Vette's. He thinks that this new group of buyers will more than make up for the lack of traditional Camaro buyers that may not want to spend what it takes to get a Z/28.

He stressed that the Z/28 will not be for everyone though he knows nothing more than we do about price, availability, etc..etc. He also stressed that everything he said was "total speculation" and "an educated guess" having been in the business for so many years.

So, I left very excited and though I am not sure I will actually pull the trigger on one, it is nice to know that it looks as though people who want one and have the resources to get one will be able to do just that.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 06-19-2013 03:49 PM

mkorgan,

You would look awesome in a Z/28!

:thumb:

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

toesuf94 06-19-2013 04:05 PM

Judging by the reaction to the Z/28 over in the Porsche forums and the overly positive reception to the potential of a true track beast for "around $60k" I think your friend is correct. This car is going to pull from all automotive genres. I would like one...honestly hope to at least drive one once.


Thanks for his insight.

JusticePete 07-03-2013 05:15 PM

I would be thrilled to take ownerships of a $60,000 Z/28, but none of the dealer's I know will give me a $20,000 discount.

2cnd chance 07-03-2013 05:56 PM

If the Z07 package for the Z06 is $7,500 and then add another $7,500 for the LS7 upgrade to a 1LE/1SS you'd be around $55,000. I just can't see a Z/28 being $80,000.

The Stig 07-03-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6748274)
If the Z07 package for the Z06 is $7,500 and then add another $7,500 for the LS7 upgrade to a 1LE/1SS you'd be around $55,000. I just can't see a Z/28 being $80,000.

Don't forget the carbon ceramic brakes.

2cnd chance 07-03-2013 06:20 PM

According to the website it's included in the Z07 package.

"Z07® Ultimate Performance Package
The Z06® (Z07) Ultimate Performance Package brings excellent handling and braking capability with the following:

• Ceramic brakes
• Magnetic Selective Ride Control
• Performance Traction Management
• Enhanced cooling
• Michelin® PS cup tires1
• Satin Black cup-style lightweight wheels (19" front, 20" rear)"

mkorgan 07-03-2013 06:27 PM

The dealer floated a price he felt very confident in but I am not going to share it because all I will get is ridiculed for it so I will keep it to myself. I have not been on this forum long but long enough.

Matster 07-03-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6748274)
If the Z07 package for the Z06 is $7,500 and then add another $7,500 for the LS7 upgrade to a 1LE/1SS you'd be around $55,000. I just can't see a Z/28 being $80,000.

Just remember that at the unveiling they stated this would be the most expensive Camaro ever. So take the price of the ZL1 and go from there.:noidea:

2cnd chance 07-03-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matster (Post 6748409)
Just remember that at the unveiling they stated this would be the most expensive Camaro ever. So take the price of the ZL1 and go from there.:noidea:

That's understood. My comments are based on those saying $70-$80K. The Z/28 is an evolution of the 1LE not the ZL1.

Matster 07-03-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6748417)
That's understood. My comments are based on those saying $70-$80K

Just be thankful ur not up here in the great white north. Talked with someone at a recent Camaro event who has there name on one of the 10 coming to or should I say staying in Canada according to the dealer. Not sure how they would know that but that was the story. If true, you can imagine what that will do to the price up here.

2cnd chance 07-03-2013 07:15 PM

They'll most all have big DM's...unfortunately.

The Stig 07-03-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6748355)
According to the website it's included in the Z07 package.

"Z07® Ultimate Performance Package
The Z06® (Z07) Ultimate Performance Package brings excellent handling and braking capability with the following:

• Ceramic brakes
• Magnetic Selective Ride Control
• Performance Traction Management
• Enhanced cooling
• Michelin® PS cup tires1
• Satin Black cup-style lightweight wheels (19" front, 20" rear)"

Does "ceramic brakes" mean ceramic brake pads or carbon ceramic rotors?

Asking because I don't know.

crangie 07-03-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6748623)
Does "ceramic brakes" mean ceramic brake pads or carbon ceramic rotors?

Asking because I don't know.

rotors

http://www.brembo.com/en/News/Pages/camaro-z28-.aspx

here an intersting video of the manufacturing process


alcal1084 07-04-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 6748159)
I would be thrilled to take ownerships of a $60,000 Z/28, but none of the dealer's I know will give me a $20,000 discount.

If any of you know the person who I just quoted then you now have an idea of how much this car will cost!!! Pete your numbers are spot on!!! As for production numbers don't be surprised if you see less then 1500...

2cnd chance 07-04-2013 03:29 PM

$80K is a lot of $$$$$. You could get close to having a Z51 & 1LE.

crangie 07-04-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcal1084 (Post 6751222)
If any of you know the person who I just quoted then you now have an idea of how much this car will cost!!! Pete your numbers are spot on!!! As for production numbers don't be surprised if you see less then 1500...

:word:

OldScoolCamaro 07-05-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkorgan (Post 6690030)
So there is not any real new news here so you may not care to read any further but I was at the dealer today get scheduled maintenance on the ZL1 done and so I thought I would go in and talk to Mike the owner of the dealership who is personal friend of mine. This dealership has been in his family for 47 years and he took over from his father about 19 years ago so he has been in the business for quite a while.

I am 2nd on the list for notifications when the Z/28 allocations are made so I asked him if he was concerned about getting an allocation and he said "absolutely not". He told me that allocation of the Z/28 are primarily based on the dealer sales of ZL1's over the last two years and that even though they have a very small dealership, their percentage of ZL1 sales versus overall sales was what GM was "more than likely" going to use as a metric to determine Z/28 allocations. He said he has sold 11 2013 ZL1's and 9 2012's which placed him in the top 20% across the country and top 10% in Florida from a percentage of sales perspective. He said the allocations of COPO's where handled much differently because it was sold through the part's department and not the normal sales channels. He said he expected GM to make "plenty" of Z/28's based on the reception of the ZL1 and thought it would not be overly difficult to get one.

He told me that he was selling any he got at MSRP, no markup. He believes that dealers who mark up the Z/28 too much may be underestimating the amount of Z/28's GM is going to produce. He thinks that is going to be a mistake. He estimates a number less than the ZL1,but not by much; something around the numbers for the first year ZR1. He says his approach will be to get as many as he can and sell them at sticker so that any next gen Camaro that has low allocations he will be high on the list at GM when those future allocations are made.

Finally, he said that GM envisions the Z/28 having an appeal far beyond the muscle car or Camaro crowd. GM is banking on the Z/28 pulling in a whole new group of buyers that have traditionally gone with Euro's or even Vette's. He thinks that this new group of buyers will more than make up for the lack of traditional Camaro buyers that may not want to spend what it takes to get a Z/28.

He stressed that the Z/28 will not be for everyone though he knows nothing more than we do about price, availability, etc..etc. He also stressed that everything he said was "total speculation" and "an educated guess" having been in the business for so many years.

So, I left very excited and though I am not sure I will actually pull the trigger on one, it is nice to know that it looks as though people who want one and have the resources to get one will be able to do just that.

...nothing for nothing, and,..no disrespect...but...on average dealers are like PT Barnum....and we all know what his famous slogan was. Advice. If you really want one, don't place all your eggs in one basket, just sayin'.... ;)

JusticePete 07-09-2013 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6748274)
If the Z07 package for the Z06 is $7,500 and then add another $7,500 for the LS7 upgrade to a 1LE/1SS you'd be around $55,000. I just can't see a Z/28 being $80,000.

Base Price for a Vette is $50K. Here is how I priced out the Z06. $91,580. That is a $40,000 bump to a base Vette. A bare bones 1SS is $34K. By my calculations the lowest possible price for a Z/28 would be $75,000, but the Z/28 includes thinner glass and other unique to the Z/28 items. The Z06 borrows from the ZL1 with no new technology or components. Can you imagine what the brake calibration cost to develop and validate on the Z/28?$?$?$?$

I would love to be wrong, but I don't see the Z/28 at less than $80K

2cnd chance 07-09-2013 02:57 PM

But a huge portion of the C6 base to C6 Z06 was the aluminum frame and its add-ons. For the SS to Z/28 there are no chassis changes only suspension, etc.

Doc 07-09-2013 03:10 PM

And there's a lot of things the Z/28 won't have that the Z06 does; like A/C, leather interior, sound system, sound deadening in various places, magnetic suspension, anything 'luxury', etc. I still say it's going to be priced somewhere in the $60k range and probably the lower part.

GM wants Camaro owners/customers to buy these and they want them out on the track where they can be visible and start building a reputation. Pricing it at $80k+ just basically moves it completely out of the Camaro market.

2cnd chance 07-09-2013 03:27 PM

The 5Gen Camaro has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than paid for itself. That being said I believe the Z/28 will be a huge leap in promoting the Camaro even more so than the ZL1. It will continue to push the Camaro above beyond the Mustangs and Challengers. It will assist in the Camaro acquiring a whole new following. All that being said and the fact that Chevy is highly value oriented I believe it will be around $60K.

JusticePete 07-09-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6767797)
And there's a lot of things the Z/28 won't have that the Z06 does; like A/C, leather interior, sound system, sound deadening in various places, magnetic suspension, anything 'luxury', etc. I still say it's going to be priced somewhere in the $60k range and probably the lower part.

GM wants Camaro owners/customers to buy these and they want them out on the track where they can be visible and start building a reputation. Pricing it at $80k+ just basically moves it completely out of the Camaro market.

Doc I am not arguing with your school of thought. Were I a betting man I would bet you the difference. Instead I will bet you 25 cents that I am closer on the price than you are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6767843)
The 5Gen Camaro has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than paid for itself. That being said I believe the Z/28 will be a huge leap in promoting the Camaro even more so than the ZL1. It will continue to push the Camaro above beyond the Mustangs and Challengers. It will assist in the Camaro acquiring a whole new following. All that being said and the fact that Chevy is highly value oriented I believe it will be around $60K.

While true, I haven't noticed a drop in base price :biggrin: Profit at GM is no longer a dirty word.

I am not arguing with your school of thought. Were I a betting man I would bet you the difference. Instead I will bet you 25 cents that I am closer on the price than you are.

2cnd chance 07-09-2013 03:42 PM

I'll hold on to my 2 bits as you are much closer to those in the know than I. ;)

Sven59 07-09-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 6748417)
That's understood. My comments are based on those saying $70-$80K. The Z/28 is an evolution of the 1LE not the ZL1.


Considering some of the parts in the ZL1 are stamped Z/28 and the 1LE came out after the ZL1 that might be debatable.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.