Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   gas cap lock? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303296)

firedrop 06-21-2013 08:39 PM

gas cap lock?
 
i don't really like how you can just push on the gas tank cover to steal my precious $4 a gallon gas.. is there any way to lock it or would a switch in the cab type unlocking system be tough to rig up?

The Stig 06-21-2013 08:42 PM

Do you want a locking gas cap or a locking gas door?

firedrop 06-21-2013 08:42 PM

locking gas door preferably

The Stig 06-21-2013 08:47 PM

Defenderworx makes them.

firedrop 06-21-2013 08:48 PM

ty

Mr_Draco 06-21-2013 08:48 PM

You do know all cars for the past 15 years have anti-siphon gas tanks right. Go ahead and try to siphon out your own gas, it wont work.

Plus anyone that wants your gas will get it the easy and quickest way, reach up under the gas tank and take a screw driver to puncture a hole in the tank.

firedrop 06-21-2013 08:50 PM

http://defenderworx.com/wp/wp-conten...s/CB1006V3.jpg sweet :D anyone have a pic of it actually on a car? i guess i could always paint it red idk..

firedrop 06-21-2013 08:51 PM

didn't know that draco, i guess im not paranoid enough to think someone would put shit in my tank to mess my car up.. lol thanks draco

The Stig 06-21-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedrop (Post 6699686)
didn't know that draco, i guess im not paranoid enough to think someone would put shit in my tank to mess my car up.. lol thanks draco

Not paranoid. Someone losses in my gas tank once.

Mr_Draco 06-21-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedrop (Post 6699686)
didn't know that draco, i guess im not paranoid enough to think someone would put shit in my tank to mess my car up.. lol thanks draco

lol. Now this is a good reason to want one however in my experience, a locking door is not a deterrent to anyone who wants to mess with your car. Give me a slotted screw driver and 30 seconds and I'll have your locking door off and laying on the ground along with some of your quarter panel that I used to pry it open with. Locking doors really are just for looks, not for security as they cause more damage to your car than you would have had if you didn't have it.

If you want something that mostly works, get a locking gas cap, GM has one made for the Camaro. They can still be beat but they are a royal pain to do so.

RedDevil11 06-21-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedrop (Post 6699624)
i don't really like how you can just push on the gas tank cover to steal my precious $4 a gallon gas.. is there any way to lock it or would a switch in the cab type unlocking system be tough to rig up?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...doors&LH_BIN=1

Here go pick anyone you want! Good luck:cool:

Dizzy82 06-21-2013 10:14 PM

I'm more fearful of someone pouring something into my tank than siphoning fuel.

SPCBA 06-21-2013 10:15 PM

i would be more worried about someone putting something in then takin the gas out.

SuperSport2011 06-21-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 6699677)
You do know all cars for the past 15 years have anti-siphon gas tanks right. Go ahead and try to siphon out your own gas, it wont work.

Plus anyone that wants your gas will get it the easy and quickest way, reach up under the gas tank and take a screw driver to puncture a hole in the tank.

I think that's the last concern. There are a lot of idiots that have never owned anything in there lives and think it's funny as hell to drop things into the gas tank.

SuperSport2011 06-21-2013 10:25 PM

here is a locking gas cap that I got. it configures to your car key http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ocking+gas+cap

hworth18 06-21-2013 10:28 PM

One of the first things I did was to buy a locking gas cap from the dealer. They will say the only one available is for the export Camaro, but it works just fine and there is a DIY on here that helps with keying the lock to your ignition key.

Comrando 06-22-2013 04:25 AM

I recall seeing a TV show years ago. The guy's neighbor was always checking his mileage so the guy started adding gas to the neighbor's car. :sm0:

CWI 06-22-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comrando (Post 6700698)
I recall seeing a TV show years ago. The guy's neighbor was always checking his mileage so the guy started adding gas to the neighbor's car. :sm0:

That would throw off his calculations a bit. It would be funny to hear him talking about his good mileage.

BTW, I got the locking cap, it doesn't cost much and is easy to setup to work with your ignition key and install.

rberns 06-22-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 6699724)
lol. Now this is a good reason to want one however in my experience, a locking door is not a deterrent to anyone who wants to mess with your car. Give me a slotted screw driver and 30 seconds and I'll have your locking door off and laying on the ground along with some of your quarter panel that I used to pry it open with. Locking doors really are just for looks, not for security as they cause more damage to your car than you would have had if you didn't have it.

If you want something that mostly works, get a locking gas cap, GM has one made for the Camaro. They can still be beat but they are a royal pain to do so.

Give a person 30 seconds and your car will be gone. :sm0:

PalmerGA 06-22-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedrop (Post 6699683)
http://defenderworx.com/wp/wp-conten...s/CB1006V3.jpg sweet :D anyone have a pic of it actually on a car? i guess i could always paint it red idk..

Just what I need... another key. I'll just trust the anti-siphon system to work and try really hard not to park in areas where thieves hand out.

jd10013 06-22-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rberns (Post 6700757)
Give a person 30 seconds and your car will be gone. :sm0:

looking more and more like that, check this out.

http://autos.aol.com/article/car-thi...eak-into-cars/

jd10013 06-22-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 6699677)

Plus anyone that wants your gas will get it the easy and quickest way, reach up under the gas tank and take a screw driver to puncture a hole in the tank.


+1

we also had a problem around here a couple years back where people would crawl under cars with a saws-all and cut off your cat(s). when platinum was running 2400 an ounce they were worth quite a bit of money.

RJT-SS 06-22-2013 07:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by firedrop (Post 6699683)
http://defenderworx.com/wp/wp-conten...s/CB1006V3.jpg sweet :D anyone have a pic of it actually on a car? i guess i could always paint it red idk..

Here's a couple pics of mine. Good installation directions also. They are pricey though.

2012-1822 06-22-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 6699724)
If you want something that mostly works, get a locking gas cap, GM has one made for the Camaro. They can still be beat but they are a royal pain to do so.

Parts man at my local dealer said "Chevy doesn't like to use those" when I inquired. So I didn't get one. I don't really know why he said that. Maybe he was an idiot.

The Stig 06-22-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-1822 (Post 6700975)
Parts man at my local dealer said "Chevy doesn't like to use those" when I inquired. So I didn't get one. I don't really know why he said that. Maybe he was an idiot.

I'd go with the latter. Plenty of members have installed them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.