Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Where to find stainless brake lines? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303509)

Nutro 06-23-2013 11:59 AM

Where to find stainless brake lines?
 
Looking for the best price possible on a set of stainless brake lines. Looking for red or "clear" if possible.

The Stig 06-23-2013 12:02 PM

Pedders is the only one who makes red ones I believe. But Racing Brake lines are the cheapest.

SPCBA 06-23-2013 12:15 PM

never seen clear stainless before... stig answered your other questions

Nutro 06-23-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6704465)
never seen clear stainless before... stig answered your other questions

Well, the line is stainless and the sheath is obviously clear.

Thanks Stig, I know Granatelli sells a set in red and blue but wasn't sure if they were any good or not.

heymatt 06-23-2013 12:32 PM

I know Crown Automotive makes them for Jeeps. Can't imagine why they wouldn't make them for Camaros.

The Stig 06-23-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutro (Post 6704502)
Well, the line is stainless and the sheath is obviously clear.

Thanks Stig, I know Granatelli sells a set in red and blue but wasn't sure if they were any good or not.

I wouldn't buy from Granatelli, but that's just my personal opinion.

UF4LIFE102SS 06-23-2013 02:32 PM

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296005

tonymac 06-23-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutro (Post 6704420)
Looking for the best price possible on a set of stainless brake lines. Looking for red or "clear" if possible.

Looking for the same thing as well. Found those Granatelli lines, but that thread scared me away - I usually take those things with a grain of salt, but geez!
Found Goodridge for $158 but they are not red.
Looks like I am back to square one.
Just don't get why these brake lines are so expensive...just crazy for what they are.

Edit:
Found MTI lines in red: http://www.lmperformance.com/parts/M...012/56905.html

SPCBA 06-23-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6704819)
I wouldn't buy from Granatelli, but that's just my personal opinion.

couldnt agree more...

CHMSC 06-23-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6704819)
I wouldn't buy from Granatelli, but that's just my personal opinion.

I agree but unfortunately didn't know that before my purchase of rotors and lines. Thankfully the rotors have worked awesome and the lines I have are clear and have worked good as well.

Apex Motorsports 06-23-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutro (Post 6704420)
Looking for the best price possible on a set of stainless brake lines. Looking for red or "clear" if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6704427)
Pedders is the only one who makes red ones I believe. But Racing Brake lines are the cheapest.

Racing Brake are definitely the best bang for your buck stainless brake lines for the Camaro.

cornerspeed92 06-23-2013 06:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got mine done today :) i got mine from JDP I sure noticed a difference from just driving around the block,cant wait for Fontana then i reall get to play.

SPCBA 06-23-2013 08:46 PM

congrats...what is that on the lower half of the line

MARINE1991 06-23-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6706181)
congrats...what is that on the lower half of the line

It's the label from the factory Blake :thumbsup::clap2:

cornerspeed92 06-23-2013 09:12 PM

Thats something called spiral wrap(or something like that)my buddy is lead mechanic for Pasadena YAMAHA and suggeted we put it on.There are a couple places where the lines are close to metal,and its a good way to see if there is any contact under use.

L99CAMA2011 06-23-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutro (Post 6704420)
Looking for the best price possible on a set of stainless brake lines. Looking for red or "clear" if possible.

Under my car :bellyroll:.

SPCBA 06-23-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 6706309)
Thats something called spiral wrap(or something like that)my buddy is lead mechanic for Pasadena YAMAHA and suggeted we put it on.There are a couple places where the lines are close to metal,and its a good way to see if there is any contact under use.

kind of smart i was worried about mine on my first track day. would have made checking easier

JDP Tyler 06-24-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 6705605)
Got mine done today :) i got mine from JDP I sure noticed a difference from just driving around the block,cant wait for Fontana then i reall get to play.

Lookin good! Thanks for the order and support! :happy0180:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

cornerspeed92 06-24-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6706959)
kind of smart i was worried about mine on my first track day. would have made checking easier

We went to Pep boys,Autozone etc.the only place that had this was Radio Shack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sales@JDP (Post 6709038)
Lookin good! Thanks for the order and support! :happy0180:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

My pleasure, you guys are great,cant wait til my next purchase.

duffmobile 06-24-2013 03:31 PM

Dumb question, but why are these better?

Mr pogo 06-24-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffmobile (Post 6709537)
Dumb question, but why are these better?

firmer brake pedal feel over stock rubber brake lines.

caverman 06-24-2013 04:05 PM

Personally I like the looks of JDP's lines. To me that's what stainless lines should look like. You never really see them though unless you're under the car working on something. Mine are black (just happen to come that way) but I never see them. Personally I don't see the need to look for a specific color over buying a good line for a good price.....just me though.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr pogo (Post 6709551)
firmer brake pedal feel over stock rubber brake lines.

And, if you road race or Auto-x you'll really feel the squish of a rubber line when your brake fluid starts heating up. Stainless lines will keep the brake line from expanding when you jam on the brakes when the fluid is hot. As you can imagine with rubber the hot fluid will really make it expand and thus have less pressure when you really need it.

BTW: those upgrading your lines might has well step up to DOT 4 fluid while you're at it. You've got to bleed the brakes anyway.

Mr pogo 06-24-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 6709692)
P




And, if you road race or Auto-x you'll really feel the squish of a rubber line when your brake fluid starts heating up. Stainless lines will keep the brake line from expanding when you jam on the brakes when the fluid is hot. As you can imagine with rubber the hot fluid will really make it expand and thus have less pressure when you really need it.

BTW: those upgrading your lines might has well step up to DOT 4 fluid while you're at it. You've got to bleed the brakes anyway.

yes, been running stainless/teflon brake lines 20+ years ago ever since the days of buying bulk line and fittings from the local Earls dealer and making them myself.

ZL1-V 06-24-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6706181)
congrats...what is that on the lower half of the line

Wrap used for isolating coil springs! Eliminates the "click" heard in the car when the springs compress.

Nutro 06-24-2013 09:03 PM

Anyone have experience with the Russell lines?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.