Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   '13 camaro single turbo (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303713)

132SS 06-24-2013 11:03 AM

'13 camaro single turbo
 
How reliable are turbo systems on the new camaros. I have a 2013 SS 6 speed that im about to install TSP headers and high flow cats. My question is the reliability of a turbo system on my car. Im not trying to make a drag car just something quicker on the streets.

Ron_Robinson1 06-24-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 132SS (Post 6708617)
How reliable are turbo systems on the new camaros. I have a 2013 SS 6 speed that im about to install TSP headers and high flow cats. My question is the reliability of a turbo system on my car. Im not trying to make a drag car just something quicker on the streets.


Very reliable. But if your thinking about a turbo system then don't buy LT headers, not needed. Most Turbo kits use the stock headers.

uniqueskillz 06-24-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_Robinson1 (Post 6708660)
Very reliable. But if your thinking about a turbo system then don't buy LT headers, not needed. Most Turbo kits use the stock headers.

:word:

132SS 06-24-2013 11:39 AM

So LT headers dont do me any good with a turbo...didnt know that

Dynamite 06-24-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 132SS (Post 6708760)
So LT headers dont do me any good with a turbo...didnt know that

I have read that some turbos allow Shorty headers. If you are dead set on a turbo then sell your headers or be prepared to take them off when you are ready for the turbo install.

Ron_Robinson1 06-24-2013 01:44 PM

With the stock headers your turbo will spool up quicker, most kits are designed for stock headers which is nice. If u use the stock headers get rid of the cats, just my .04$

LT headers work nicely with SCs

Matt @ FSP 06-24-2013 02:11 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Yes with most turbo kits (Unless rear mount) you will use a log-style manifold or the stock manifolds..

The AGP kit is a very complete system that utilizes the stock exhaust manifolds. Their base kit includes 83lb injectors, BAP or ZL1 pump, Borg Warner 56mm twins and all genuine Tial WG/Blowoff valve. Made in the USA. The pricing is very competitive of what a SC+ headers would cost.

Here's a few pictures...

CyberPredator 06-24-2013 02:58 PM

I've had my IPS twin turbo kit for 2+ years and 30,000 miles and it has been great. I can't speak for every kit but it's been so good so far with this one.

132SS 06-24-2013 03:01 PM

Thanks for the replys. I'm trying to figure out what direction I wanna go with the car. I'm not a drag racer but really wanted to get into road racing and just have a quicker car than the other stock camaro ss' on the road.

1969to2010 06-25-2013 10:09 PM

I have the turbonetics single t76 I'm very happy with it great drivability and a lot of fun the sound is awesome
Any
questions just pm me
Good luck with what ever you decide

killmode_on 06-25-2013 11:48 PM

Turbo yes.
Single, mmmm not on these cars.

Birm 06-26-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmode_on (Post 6716730)
Turbo yes.
Single, mmmm not on these cars.

Disagree, plenty of single's out there making plenty of power.

Unreal 06-26-2013 08:20 AM

Custom single with 4"+ downpipe, sure. Turbonetics, ick. They are fine for 500-600rwhp but once you want more the 3" downpipe is going to limit power, the long exhaust routing will hurt spool. Just do twins. More power, quicker spool, better cooling, etc.

132SS 06-26-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 6717446)
Custom single with 4"+ downpipe, sure. Turbonetics, ick. They are fine for 500-600rwhp but once you want more the 3" downpipe is going to limit power, the long exhaust routing will hurt spool. Just do twins. More power, quicker spool, better cooling, etc.

500-600 rwhp is fine with me

pyr0b0y 06-26-2013 11:05 AM

I would do twin turbos IMO. I love my setup, and also have the IPS kit with zero issues from it. I road race my car, and with a boost controller, limit the boost so it doesn't spin the car out.

xjer22x 06-26-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 6717446)
Custom single with 4"+ downpipe, sure. Turbonetics, ick. They are fine for 500-600rwhp but once you want more the 3" downpipe is going to limit power, the long exhaust routing will hurt spool. Just do twins. More power, quicker spool, better cooling, etc.

Eh i beg to differ here.

it all comes down to choosing the properly sized turbo for the desired power level and motor.

If you go with 2 BIG turbos.... they will lag more than a properly sized single turbo. And if you go 2 SMALL turbos... then you can run into heating issues as the turbos will produce too much heat.

Turbos get very hot too, so if you have two of them... it will be hotter...

And it all comes down to intercooler sizing and pipe sizing as well.

For what he is looking for, a single would be perfect. it will keep normal drivability civil, wont hurt gas milage too much, and when he needs it... the monster will be ready.

If he wants over 700whp then yes i would say twins would be better as its easier to get more air flow at that point because the single turbo needed to match that would be HUGE.

killmode_on 06-26-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjer22x (Post 6718805)
Eh i beg to differ here.

it all comes down to choosing the properly sized turbo for the desired power level and motor.

If you go with 2 BIG turbos.... they will lag more than a properly sized single turbo. And if you go 2 SMALL turbos... then you can run into heating issues as the turbos will produce too much heat.

Turbos get very hot too, so if you have two of them... it will be hotter...

And it all comes down to intercooler sizing and pipe sizing as well.

For what he is looking for, a single would be perfect. it will keep normal drivability civil, wont hurt gas milage too much, and when he needs it... the monster will be ready.

If he wants over 700whp then yes i would say twins would be better as its easier to get more air flow at that point because the single turbo needed to match that would be HUGE.


That's all kind of true but missing the biggest point. The only single kit available for the Camaro has 10ft. of exhaust piping before the turbo. The problem with kits like that or rear mounts is you've lost a lot of the exhaust's energy by the time it gets to the turbo. So to get the turbo to spool up reasonably you have to go with a smaller turbo. Then that smaller turbo is limited on total power production. It's a catch 22. The U-turn single kit on the market today is both laggy and limited to around 700whp. It's more laggy than the 1100whp twins I have on my car. I really don't like superchargers but I'd get a Whipple or ECS kit before a U-turn single.

xjer22x 06-26-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killmode_on (Post 6718942)
That's all kind of true but missing the biggest point. The only single kit available for the Camaro has 10ft. of exhaust piping before the turbo. The problem with kits like that or rear mounts is you've lost a lot of the exhaust's energy by the time it gets to the turbo. So to get the turbo to spool up reasonably you have to go with a smaller turbo. Then that smaller turbo is limited on total power production. It's a catch 22. The U-turn single kit on the market today is both laggy and limited to around 700whp. It's more laggy than the 1100whp twins I have on my car. I really don't like superchargers but I'd get a Whipple or ECS kit before a U-turn single.

haha just so you know i run a rear mounted twin turbo kit :thumbsup: there are ways to reduce lag even if you have piping like mine. With twin 72mm turbos i am fully spooled around 3600rpm right now on the street. and at the track i can get them fully spooled around 2700 rpm.

Technology and experience these days has reduced lag to where its not an issue, plus on when you daily drive a car... its nice to have a little lag. You dont want instant power as thats what causes accidents.

IPS Brandon 06-27-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPredator (Post 6709655)
I've had my IPS twin turbo kit for 2+ years and 30,000 miles and it has been great. I can't speak for every kit but it's been so good so far with this one.

That is awesome to hear. :thumbsup:

We have been making TT kits for this chassis since it came out...We love turbos, and are very good at designing turbo systems... hence we also have the fastest Camaro / and Corvette in the country (in their respective categories), with Darth Emma's TT Camaro having and off the shelf IPS turbo kit, and Atomic Fusion Vette a Custom gt55x twin set up.

Most of these photos are of our economy kit, and not the race kit (really not much different other then turbos)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8113/8...8a4fdb68_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8243/8...1ebfafce_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8...56c138ee_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8264/8...77ea6a44_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8398/8...c1c7b1f6_c.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6051/6...46e84e35_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3699/8...f714d02f_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8492/8...ca9e8ca5_c.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.