Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   spanked a 911 Carrera S? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303814)

snaphappy 06-24-2013 07:13 PM

spanked a 911 Carrera S?
 
I know a guy who raced a 911 Carrera S recently. Gorgeous car, kinda burgundy with that camel Porsche leather interior. Stock SS LS3 beat the Porsche off the line. Right as he shifted to second the Porsche looked like it would catch up, but as soon as he was in second gear he pulled away from the Porsche again.

Porsche driver bad? Or is that about right?

Deki 06-24-2013 08:10 PM

Bad driver.

trademaster 06-24-2013 10:00 PM

What year 911?

Mr Twisty 06-24-2013 10:08 PM

Your buddy is lucky the road wasn't crooked :laugh:

wally mayfield 06-24-2013 10:13 PM

the porche is quicker....than a vette!

VADER SS L99 06-24-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wally mayfield (Post 6711396)
the porche is quicker....than a vette!

Not when compairing the same price range. The ZO6 would smoke a 911 Carrera S and cost less. The ZR1 would as well and is just a little more expensive than a 911 S. As to the OP original question. Very bad driver if its a newer model. A 911 S especially a 2012+ should have annialated a stock SS.

Deki 06-24-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 6711630)
Not when compairing the same price range. The ZO6 would smoke a 911 Carrera S and cost less. The ZR1 would as well and is just a little more expensive than a 911 S. As to the OP original question. Very bad driver if its a newer model. A 911 S especially a 2012+ should have annialated a stock SS.

We're not racing wallets. Porsche is always going to be more expensive for how much car you get, but you also get a status symbol as well as luxury. Their cars have gotten ridiculously expensive in the last 6-10 years. A Turbo is $140k base now...that's stupid expensive for a car that you could have bought for sub $100k 6 years ago.

wally mayfield 06-24-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 6711630)
Not when compairing the same price range. The ZO6 would smoke a 911 Carrera S and cost less. The ZR1 would as well and is just a little more expensive than a 911 S. As to the OP original question. Very bad driver if its a newer model. A 911 S especially a 2012+ should have annialated a stock SS.

omg...price range?? really??

cvp33 06-24-2013 11:30 PM

2012 Carrera S carbriolet is a 12.1 second 1/4 mile car. That's ZL1 territory.

VADER SS L99 06-24-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deki (Post 6711699)
We're not racing wallets. Porsche is always going to be more expensive for how much car you get, but you also get a status symbol as well as luxury. Their cars have gotten ridiculously expensive in the last 6-10 years. A Turbo is $140k base now...that's stupid expensive for a car that you could have bought for sub $100k 6 years ago.

If how much a car cost has no bearing when compairing 1 performance car to the next, ridiculous notion BTW, then awesome. I can just say there are 2-3 models of Corvettes that would kill the 911 S. All SS's will destroy a V6 Mustang, V6 Challenger, and the list goes on. I mean were not racing wallets remember.

VADER SS L99 06-24-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wally mayfield (Post 6711714)
omg...price range?? really??

OK F*** price range. The ZR1 will destroy that car and its a Corvette. YEAH REALLY.

wally mayfield 06-24-2013 11:43 PM

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2113214

bowtiefamily 06-25-2013 12:04 AM

Well I walked my buddies 04 Gallardo. Even he was impressed. :thumbsup: With a bone stock ZL1 vs bone stock Gallardo!

Deki 06-25-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 6711782)
If how much a car cost has no bearing when compairing 1 performance car to the next, ridiculous notion BTW, then awesome. I can just say there are 2-3 models of Corvettes that would kill the 911 S. All SS's will destroy a V6 Mustang, V6 Challenger, and the list goes on. I mean were not racing wallets remember.

It doesn't matter how many models of Corvettes there are that would "kill" a 911S, or any 911, OP wasn't comparing the two. And performance is the only thing that matters when comparing two cars against each other in PERFORMANCE tests. That's why they compare the 911 Turbo to the GTR, and the Z06/ZR1 to Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsche. Does value matter to people that are looking at buying one? Yes. To Average Joe's and keyboard commandos, price only matters for the sake of an argument. If someone is looking at a 911S, most of the time they are not cross shopping a Corvette, of any kind. Different driving experience, different type of car, and totally different market segments. The GT-R was supposed to slay the 911 Turbo, and it a lot of performance tests it did. Do you know how much market share it took from the 911 Turbo? Exactly 0%. GT-R got released, and 911 numbers still went up that year, and the following year, and last year, and they are up again this year.

VADER SS L99 06-25-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deki (Post 6711961)
It doesn't matter how many models of Corvettes there are that would "kill" a 911S, or any 911, OP wasn't comparing the two. And performance is the only thing that matters when comparing two cars against each other in PERFORMANCE tests. That's why they compare the 911 Turbo to the GTR, and the Z06/ZR1 to Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsche. Does value matter to people that are looking at buying one? Yes. To Average Joe's and keyboard commandos, price only matters for the sake of an argument. If someone is looking at a 911S, most of the time they are not cross shopping a Corvette, of any kind. Different driving experience, different type of car, and totally different market segments. The GT-R was supposed to slay the 911 Turbo, and it a lot of performance tests it did. Do you know how much market share it took from the 911 Turbo? Exactly 0%. GT-R got released, and 911 numbers still went up that year, and the following year, and last year, and they are up again this year.

First of all I didnt mention Vette until the other guy did. Second, its ludicris to compare two performance cars that have a vast difference in price. Case in point this thread. How about we start compairing Lambos to SS's now. Both cars are a performance car right? We dont race with our wallets and the cost of the car in comparison does not matter right? Third, the target model that GM puts in its sights for the Corvette to beat in every aspect of performace is in fact the Porsche and it did just that model for model.

Performance is the only thing that matters in compairing two cars against each other in a PERFORMANCE TEST? Really, well in that case the Porsche is the Corvette's and GTR's little bitch.

trademaster 06-25-2013 01:50 AM

Holy crap Vader, chill out. Have a beer or something. You've gone on a tirade because of a 7-word, vague post. Relax.

snaphappy 06-25-2013 01:51 AM

Given the price and prestige of the Porsche, it's just cool that "my friend" could even attempt to compete. Never expected to have a chance, just cool to be at the same stoplight as one!

Deki 06-25-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 6712132)
First of all I didnt mention Vette until the other guy did. Second, its ludicris to compare two performance cars that have a vast difference in price. Case in point this thread. How about we start compairing Lambos to SS's now. Both cars are a performance car right? We dont race with our wallets and the cost of the car in comparison does not matter right? Third, the target model that GM puts in its sights for the Corvette to beat in every aspect of performace is in fact the Porsche and it did just that model for model.

Performance is the only thing that matters in compairing two cars against each other in a PERFORMANCE TEST? Really, well in that case the Porsche is the Corvette's and GTR's little bitch.

Compare the Lambo to an SS all you want, it's faster in every way. It's not ludicrous to conpare cars with a vast price difference. I just listed you some examples above. Corvette is conpared all the time to cars 2, 3, and even 4 times it's price. Cars are expensive for different reasons, such as technology, exclusivity, pedigree, and cost to manufacture. Corvette vs 911, they are close in performance. 911S does 0-60 in under 4 seconds and runs the 1/4 in 12 flat. And the 911 Turbo beats anything Corvette has to offer, all while not wearing 60 tread wear tires like the Z06 or the ZR1. And lol@ Porsche being corvette's and GT-R's bitch hahaah

SSOOCH 06-25-2013 08:56 AM

I bet Iron Man would beat Batman!

Bad70supreme 06-25-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtiefamily (Post 6711899)
Well I walked my buddies 04 Gallardo. Even he was impressed. :thumbsup: With a bone stock ZL1 vs bone stock Gallardo!

I am not suprized by this at all... from what I have seen out of those cars in person... as far as having grunt at slower speed is not all that impressive. I am sure high speed pulls would be differnet though.

302-412 06-25-2013 09:32 AM

0-60 in 4 seconds and you say they have no low speed grunt! Besides, they have the engine and trans right over the driving wheels. Having said this give me a Z06 any day over a 911.

302-412 06-25-2013 09:34 AM

Sorry bad 70, thought you were on about the original question.

VADER SS L99 06-25-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deki (Post 6712682)
Compare the Lambo to an SS all you want, it's faster in every way. It's not ludicrous to conpare cars with a vast price difference. I just listed you some examples above. Corvette is conpared all the time to cars 2, 3, and even 4 times it's price. Cars are expensive for different reasons, such as technology, exclusivity, pedigree, and cost to manufacture. Corvette vs 911, they are close in performance. 911S does 0-60 in under 4 seconds and runs the 1/4 in 12 flat. And the 911 Turbo beats anything Corvette has to offer, all while not wearing 60 tread wear tires like the Z06 or the ZR1. And lol@ Porsche being corvette's and GT-R's bitch hahaah

If you can prove to me that a 911 Turbo has gone faster than 10.6 in the 1/4 bone stock and 10.2 in the 1/4 mile bone stock with drag radials then I will agree with you there. As far as road courses go, you know the type of racing GM built the car for, there is plenty of hard facts to prove the ZR1 is the faster car. Here is just a few of them.

VIR -Corvette holds the record at #1. 911 Turbo #17
Willow Springs- Vette #2. 911 Turbo #12
Laguna Seca- Vette hold the record on this as well at #1. 911 Turbo #14
Spring Mountain-ohh look another Vette record holder. 911 Turbo #8

Home court advantage? Ok, lets go over to the cars home country of Germany.

Hockenheim Short-Corvette #6. 911 turbo #40.
Autozeitung-Vette #2. 911 Turbo #11
Nordschleife- Vette #13. 911 Turbo #24
Sorry bud but I'm not seeing a lot of evidence to support your claim. Don't bother posting excuses or opinion in response. I want facts.

As it looks to me model for model in the performance only category the Porsche is in fact Corvette's little biatch.

Base Corvette>Cayman
Grand Sport>Cayman S
ZO6>911
ZO6/ZO7>911 S
ZR1>911 Turbo
ZR1>=<911 Turbo S. Really close but huge price difference.

BlaqWhole 06-25-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaphappy (Post 6712149)
Given the price and prestige of the Porsche, it's just cool that "my friend" could even attempt to compete. Never expected to have a chance, just cool to be at the same stoplight as one!

Competing or attempting to compete is more a matter of personality. I know some people who won't race anything they feel they can't win against. And I know some people who will race anything regardless of what it is or how much it costs. I once tried to get at a ZR-1 Vette several months ago even tho I knew he had a serious advantage. And I've tried going up against Vipers too. And I've had the same thing happen to me...kids in Civics trying to step up. I admire a fierce competitor...keeps my on my toes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.