Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   HPS Pads ready to install (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304164)

BowlingSS 06-26-2013 12:20 PM

HPS Pads ready to install

I have over 30K on my stock pads. They are a little below half. I have a new set of HPS pads waiting. The rotors do not look bad except the lip on the outside. Is it OK to have these rotors turned to remove the lip? This is a 2011 Camaro 2SS. New rotors for these are very pricey. Who has the best prices?

Thanks.
Bill

:readthethread::thanks::thanks:

SPCBA 06-26-2013 12:44 PM

OEM rotors are cheap. With that said you should have many more miles out of your rotors. turn hem if you want just remember to bed the new pads properly to the newly turned rotor

Team STILLEN 06-26-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlingSS (Post 6718394)
I have over 30K on my stock pads. They are a little below half. I have a new set of HPS pads waiting. The rotors do not look bad except the lip on the outside. Is it OK to have these rotors turned to remove the lip? This is a 2011 Camaro 2SS. New rotors for these are very pricey. Who has the best prices?

Thanks.
Bill

I can get you some good price on some Stillen Sport Rotors.

I will send you a PM.

JT

JDP Sales 06-26-2013 01:20 PM

We have a great deal going on the Granatelli Rotors right now. They are a great replacement for stock. PM coming your way.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

BowlingSS 06-26-2013 01:52 PM

Are the Stainless Works rotors any good?

Thanks.
Bill

JusticePete 06-26-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlingSS (Post 6718394)

Thanks.
Bill

Bill,

It depends on how much rotor you'll have left. Can you measure the thickness of your caliper? You'll need ends that clear the outer edge or you'll need to file down the lip wide enough to get your calipers on the rotor face. If you don't measure we are guessing on a resurface.

The other factor is how you drive. If you drive fast, autocross or run road courses there is a good chance your rotors are toast. How do you drive?

HaddadMotorsports 06-26-2013 02:20 PM

It is a good rule of thumb, that any time you chance pads, that you turn or replace your rotors. Unless severely damaged most rotors will take at least one turn.

THanks
Mike Haddad

jeremywes 06-26-2013 03:17 PM

Turn'em, if they are still within GM spec then your good. They are designed for that! If you're road racing then it's a good time to upgrade anyways!

BowlingSS 06-26-2013 05:05 PM

The car is a daily driver only. No track time. I think I will have them turned. I will check them first. Anyone know the spec?

Thanks guys.
Bill

HaddadMotorsports 06-26-2013 07:14 PM

On an SS its 30mm front and 26mm rear, this is called the discard thickness. So you want to see at least 1-2mm more than that before you turn them.

BowlingSS 06-27-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaddadMotorsports (Post 6720300)
On an SS its 30mm front and 26mm rear, this is called the discard thickness. So you want to see at least 1-2mm more than that before you turn them.

Thanks. I will have to dig up my mic.:hail::thumb:

Bill