Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   autocross with my vert (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304196)

Jer4251 06-26-2013 03:07 PM

autocross with my vert
 
looking into doing an autocross event this weekend. will be my first racing event for my 13 ZL1 convertible. any tips of tricks I should do? what PSI should the tires be set to?

my only mod is BMR drop springs. not sure it they will make a difference. im thinking just put it in comp mode(push button 2 times) no ptm in the vert.

thanks guys, cant wait to see how she does.

mmarx82 06-26-2013 03:11 PM

Have fun, wish I was going out there too.

Jer4251 06-26-2013 03:12 PM

why aren't you going again?

mmarx82 06-26-2013 03:53 PM

My brother's birthday, I was gonna pay for both of us to go but he's too afraid to go in his slow car lol. So we'll be doing something else. Sept is the next one and it's the weekend after my dad's birthday so I should be all good to go for that one.

JDP Tyler 06-26-2013 04:21 PM

Bring some painters tape with you to tape off the bumper and rear quarter panels. Come marks suck!

Good luck and have fun! Remember smooth is fast! :thumb:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

pumpkinrancho 06-26-2013 06:09 PM

Justin is right. Smooth is fast. I run about 30 pounds in my tires. I would leave all the traction nannies on until you learn the track. Then gradually turn them off. By the end of the day I am usually running with none. If its hot out those goodyears work great. if not they suck. Drive hard brake early and hard and accelerate thru the turn.

Jer4251 06-26-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho (Post 6719937)
Justin is right. Smooth is fast. I run about 30 pounds in my tires. I would leave all the traction nannies on until you learn the track. Then gradually turn them off. By the end of the day I am usually running with none. If its hot out those goodyears work great. if not they suck. Drive hard brake early and hard and accelerate thru the turn.

great info. Its usually hot as hell down here this time of year. cant wait to see how the heavier convertible handles on a closed course. it will be my first autocross so im not real confident maneuvering the cones. but i'll give it a whirl for sure. hopefully whoever does with me from camaro5 will be able to get some video or pics at least.

Stephen12ZL1 06-26-2013 11:00 PM

my ZL1 felt like I was driving on ice with the factory goodyears at the autocross. I am going to try my drag radials next time because they have to be better.

ZL1-V 06-27-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 (Post 6721585)
my ZL1 felt like I was driving on ice with the factory goodyears at the autocross. I am going to try my drag radials next time because they have to be better.

What pressure were you running? Did you try reducing the tire pressure to compensate?

Stephen12ZL1 06-27-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1-V (Post 6721942)
What pressure were you running? Did you try reducing the tire pressure to compensate?

all of the autocross gurus there said to run slightly higher pressure to compensate for the low heat in the tires and to keep the tires from "rolling over" on the tight turns. They recommended 36psi to start and adjust from there.

2010SSRSM6 06-27-2013 06:40 AM

Do you have a roll bar in your vert? Some places won't allow you to run without one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boltvette 06-27-2013 10:57 AM

Very few organizers require roll bars for autocrossing. But it's a valid point. Check with them first.

You're going to find that you expend a lot of energy holding yourself in your seat through the corners. Angelwings Tech has the solution - Angel Pads. They fill the spaces between you, the door and the console so you don't need to be using your knees to brace yourself.

ZL1-V 06-27-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 (Post 6722027)
all of the autocross gurus there said to run slightly higher pressure to compensate for the low heat in the tires and to keep the tires from "rolling over" on the tight turns. They recommended 36psi to start and adjust from there.


I am really confused so maybe one of the "guru's" can clear this up? If by decreasing the pressure won't you get "more heat" into the tire carcass? Increased pressure will induce more sliding won't it? I have never done autocross, just spectated at the events which looks like so much fun! I have participated in track days before. Not yet with my ZL1.:pout:

JDP Tyler 06-27-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1-V (Post 6723293)
I am really confused so maybe one of the "guru's" can clear this up? If by decreasing the pressure won't you get "more heat" into the tire carcass? Increased pressure will induce more sliding won't it? I have never done autocross, just spectated at the events which looks like so much fun! I have participated in track days before. Not yet with my ZL1.:pout:

You are correct, however the incresed tire pressure is more for tire ware than grip. You can get away with lower tire pressure if you have the proper camber, but with street alignments it is best to air the tires up to prevent the tire from rolling over and murdering the outside edges of the tires. Especially on heavier cars, it is not uncommon to see guys running 40-45 psi in the front tires.

The proper tire pressure depends on camber settings, how stiff the sidewalls of that particular tire are, and the surface conditions of the pavement/asphalt you are racing on.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.