Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Improving 60' Times (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305993)

ajax. 07-06-2013 12:27 AM

Improving 60' Times
 
Been running at the track and I'm always running 12.74 @ 109. Tonight I went down to the track and was posting absurd numbers with my best of only a 12.91.. I even had a bunch of 13 second passes...real embarrassing...

My 60' is usually 1.9-2.0 so my question is what's the best way to practice to get a good 60' time? Any special techniques?

My method is tires down to 15-16 psi...then water box and heat the tires up real good and get them nice and hot. Then I brake stand and launch at 1000 rpm or so with traction control completely off. Everyone tells me I have A low 12 second car but honestly i think that's impossible. Tired of getting smoked by every car at the track...

Ice Demon 07-06-2013 12:58 AM

It probably has to do with the hot and humid summer weather. Do you know what the DA was? I also run NT05R's but I usually run around 20psi in them. I have never ran them that low. As far as improving your 60ft time a stall is the best way.

Neumatic 07-06-2013 01:27 AM

60' is killing you, I can cut 1.8's on street tires with stock gears. I have a stick so I don't really have any pointers for you unfortunately, but I know there are quite a few guys on the forum that have a lot of experience racing auto's so you should be able to find someone on here that can help you getting that 60' down to where it should be.

ajax. 07-06-2013 07:46 AM

DA was 1800ft I was really taking a beating. I usually run my 05Rs at 20 psi but was frustrated and tried 15/16 psi. Any auto guys that can chime in?

xjer22x 07-06-2013 08:17 AM

Now what size wheel are you running? If its an 18 in wheel i would say try raising the tire PSI up. I run mine aorund 18psi normally and sometimes up to 20psi after a burnout and i have pulled several low 1.7's and a 1.69 on em.

If you are on a 20 inch wheel then keep the tire pressure higher. closer to 30.

But as far as launching technique i too have a manual so i cant recommend anything but more seat time.

ajax. 07-06-2013 08:51 AM

Yea I'm running a 20...been using about 15-20psi. The fronts I usually leave at 35.

xjer22x 07-06-2013 09:21 AM

Thing you have think about with a 20inch rim is that there is very little sidewall. So getting flex out of it is difficult. What will benefit you is actually filling the tires up with more air to get a better contact patch with the tire.

Just for giggles next time I would say no lower than 28 in the rears. I would even start at 32. Get them nice and hot with a Smokey burnout and give em a shot.

Most guys running anything under 20psi are on smaller wheels ... between 15-18 inch wheels. Due to the tall sidewall they get on the tire.

But lower profile tires wont benefit the same way.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.

Rohdeo16 07-06-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Demon (Post 6755846)
It probably has to do with the hot and humid summer weather. Do you know what the DA was? I also run NT05R's but I usually run around 20psi in them. I have never ran them that low. As far as improving your 60ft time a stall is the best way.

Hey do you also run the NT05R's on the street?

dekan513 07-06-2013 10:13 AM

try going a lil easier off the start u may be spinning. heat those tire up too. i run about 24-26 usally in mine . but im still on factory tires. but 20"s dont need low pressure like others. dont do 100mph burnouts lower speed burnouts that way the tire gets heat all the way across .

Pro Stock John 07-06-2013 10:41 AM

What's done to the car?

I went 1.92 stock tires and 1.85 on 20" NT 555Rs. Stock converter.

Ice Demon 07-06-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 (Post 6756391)
Hey do you also run the NT05R's on the street?

Yes I actually I will be running them on my car all summer long. They do ok in the rain and they hook great.

ajax. 07-06-2013 01:19 PM

Maybe my tire psi is the issue...I also run the 05R's on the street never gave me a problem. Makes sense though about the 20in rim I'll try running around 30-32 psi. Front's I'll leave alone at 36.

Camarojt 07-06-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajax. (Post 6755779)
Been running at the track and I'm always running 12.74 @ 109. Tonight I went down to the track and was posting absurd numbers with my best of only a 12.91.. I even had a bunch of 13 second passes...real embarrassing...

My 60' is usually 1.9-2.0 so my question is what's the best way to practice to get a good 60' time? Any special techniques?

My method is tires down to 15-16 psi...then water box and heat the tires up real good and get them nice and hot. Then I brake stand and launch at 1000 rpm or so with traction control completely off. Everyone tells me I have A low 12 second car but honestly i think that's impossible. Tired of getting smoked by every car at the track...

Are you running a stock stall converter?

DarkCry956 07-06-2013 04:37 PM

When I ran my 555rs on 20" I got best results at 22 psi. Turned all the nannies off and did the burnout in paddle shift right after the water. 1st gear up to 4500-5000 rpm then shift to 2nd and tried keeping it from hitting the rev limiter. When done right the rpm would go down as the tires got stickier and rolled out of the burnout. Then I made sure I put it back in Sport

Pro Stock John 07-06-2013 05:23 PM

I ran the 20" drag radials from 20 to 25 psi but it does take experimentation.

ajax. 07-06-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camarojt (Post 6757416)
Are you running a stock stall converter?

Yea stock stall converter. I foresee a 3200 in the very neat future. Definitely going to run with higher psi as that theory makes sense. 20 in rims have little sidewall...going to try experimenting with higher pressures.

Motion427 07-06-2013 07:37 PM

When your at the staging lane,what do you do?
Do you let it idle in gear and punch it after? Do you load up the chassis abit? Or you load up the converter as high as you can before you launch?
Example,so far,mine works best when I raise the rpm to about 1000-1100 rpm before I go WOT.

Camarojt 07-06-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajax. (Post 6757898)
Yea stock stall converter. I foresee a 3200 in the very neat future. Definitely going to run with higher psi as that theory makes sense. 20 in rims have little sidewall...going to try experimenting with higher pressures.

You might also try leaving off idle or slightly above. I have a 3600 Circle D stall but I get the best 60ft's by flashing the converter. If I come up on the brake, it spins too bad!

ajax. 07-06-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motion427 (Post 6757961)
When your at the staging lane,what do you do?
Do you let it idle in gear and punch it after? Do you load up the chassis abit? Or you load up the converter as high as you can before you launch?
Example,so far,mine works best when I raise the rpm to about 1000-1100 rpm before I go WOT.

I usually launch pretty hard...rpms around 1100 or so then mash the gas when the light goes green.

Camarojt 07-07-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajax. (Post 6755779)
Been running at the track and I'm always running 12.74 @ 109. Tonight I went down to the track and was posting absurd numbers with my best of only a 12.91.. I even had a bunch of 13 second passes...real embarrassing...

My 60' is usually 1.9-2.0 so my question is what's the best way to practice to get a good 60' time? Any special techniques?

My method is tires down to 15-16 psi...then water box and heat the tires up real good and get them nice and hot. Then I brake stand and launch at 1000 rpm or so with traction control completely off. Everyone tells me I have A low 12 second car but honestly i think that's impossible. Tired of getting smoked by every car at the track...

Just noticed that u are running 3.91 gears? That could be a little bit as to why you are spinning off the line. A6 already has an aggressive 1st gear so now you are more so with the extra gear in the rear.

What rpms are you crossing the line at the end? Are you staying in 4th or does it shift to 5th before the end?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.