Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Kenne Bell Supercharger in my 2013 ZL1 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307789)

southbayZL1 07-17-2013 06:36 PM

Kenne Bell Supercharger in my 2013 ZL1
 
3 Attachment(s)
Before I even bought my ZL1, I knew I would be upgrading the 1.9 stock supercharger to a 2.8 or 3.6 Kenne Bell. Unfortunately they didn’t have a kit ready for it yet. Fortunately for me, they needed a donor car! :)
In November 2012, I dropped off my brand new ZL1 automatic with only 2200 miles on the clock at Kenne Bell so they could develop their new supercharger kit. They told me it is the same basic kit they use on all the SS/L99 cars.
Picked it up in January which was a quick turnaround! They said the only thing was the auto trans really consumes a lot of horsepower. They were able to come up with a loss of about 20% when comparing my rear wheel horsepower to the rated horsepower. 465 rwhp / 580 rated engine hp = .80 so their numbers reflect the 20%. The final number for “91 octane” (highest octane you can get at the pump in Cal.) was 565 rwhp / 706 engine hp! The difference is incredible!
I’ve put over 1800 miles on the car with the new supercharger installed and it runs like factory. I’ve put some hard miles on it too and no drivability issues at all. The tune is spot on even with the bigger injectors I had them install in case I really wanted to run the boost up. It has the polished 4-1/2” cold air Mammoth inlet system. They even tested the stock airbox compared to the early SS models. It flowed about 22% more but they said you would never want to run anything less than their 4-1/2” system. In fact my car exhibits none of the issues I’ve read about on this forum. It starts and drives flawlessly. Never had a single issue with the trans shifting or anything else so far.
I took my car to the drag strip to test a tune using Shell URT116 racing fuel with their 3” pulley and race tune. I have drag radials on it as well. With that combination, my car made 653 rwhp (187 rwhp gain)! Got the car to do a 11.50 pass “so far” .Trap speed 123 --60 ft 1.695 - boost 16 . Spun the tires a bit but we are going next weekend to the track hopefully get it to hook and bring that 60 ft number down and see how much more I can get out of it. It does have DR on it.
Last thing- check out the article on my ZL1 in Super Chevy Magaine (September issue) out now-- page 72.

2cnd chance 07-17-2013 07:06 PM

:headbang:

Smittty 07-17-2013 07:08 PM

Nice. :thumbup:

Kmax 07-17-2013 07:18 PM

Looks real good and fits under the stock hood too.:w00t:

W2WSS 07-17-2013 07:24 PM

what was your trap speed? and how much boost are you running? any other mods?

2012-1822 07-17-2013 07:31 PM

Cool. I'm definitely going to get a copy.

So no strut tower brace? I wondered if upgrading the SC would do that, frankly I wondered what you could fit under the hood at all. So for those that may have interest in road racing was does not strut tower brace do and is there a way to compensate or perhaps a different that will fit between that SC and the stock hood?

Any thoughts from anyone?

Criag B 07-17-2013 07:42 PM

Looks nice, good luck @ the track.

cam99 07-17-2013 07:48 PM

trap speed? 60'?

sportyb24 07-17-2013 08:01 PM

Seems a tad slow for the hp

ace32x 07-17-2013 08:05 PM

i have some 18x12 strip wheels f14s brand new in box if your looking for a set for some DRs selling them dirt cheap

FINALLYSATISFIED 07-17-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportyb24 (Post 6790557)
Seems a tad slow for the hp

Samething I was thinking. I've some members post equal if not higher #'s on the stock S/C. :noidea:

cam99 07-17-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace32x (Post 6790576)
i have some 18x12 strip wheels f14s brand new in box if your looking for a set for some DRs selling them dirt cheap

Looks like he already has dr's from the pictures?:noidea:

ZL1-V 07-17-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-1822 (Post 6790445)
Cool. I'm definitely going to get a copy.

So no strut tower brace? I wondered if upgrading the SC would do that, frankly I wondered what you could fit under the hood at all. So for those that may have interest in road racing was does not strut tower brace do and is there a way to compensate or perhaps a different that will fit between that SC and the stock hood?

Any thoughts from anyone?

It's in the suspension section somewhere but IIRC Pete from Pedders posted an article that stated that after testing there was no difference in flex with or without the bar.

Trackman 07-17-2013 08:56 PM

Pretty cool you were able to keep a secret for so long!
Any other mods other than the blower and injectors?

The Baron 07-17-2013 09:28 PM

Strut tower brace means nothing... my car has been going bottom 1.5s with no brace

mmarx82 07-17-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Baron (Post 6790892)
Strut tower brace means nothing... my car has been going bottom 1.5s with no brace

I find it quite interesting that the brace seemingly does nothing. Anyone have any actual data to help back this up?

ace32x 07-17-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmarx82 (Post 6791153)
I find it quite interesting that the brace seemingly does nothing. Anyone have any actual data to help back this up?

im sure it helps in the corners when really pushing the car but daily driving or strip use you would never notice a difference with the strut brace off

ZL1-V 07-17-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmarx82 (Post 6791153)
I find it quite interesting that the brace seemingly does nothing. Anyone have any actual data to help back this up?


How about this thread?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298274

2010 SSRS 07-17-2013 11:37 PM

looks great

big dave 07-17-2013 11:48 PM

Looks intimidating. I wonder what a setup like that would run? I, too, am curious what your trap speed was? What was your 60'?

Criag B 07-18-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace32x (Post 6791160)
im sure it helps in the corners when really pushing the car but daily driving or strip use you would never notice a difference with the strut brace off

X2. For a drag car your can throw that thing and the front sway bar in the woods.

jessrayo 07-18-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmarx82 (Post 6791153)
I find it quite interesting that the brace seemingly does nothing. Anyone have any actual data to help back this up?

Wow, I cannot believe I'm even reading threads like this. This is like saying the front air ducts to the brakes do nothing to stopping distance. They do nothing until you push the car to its limits and if you do that the brake duct will raise the limitations of the braking system by increasing cooling. If you take the car to the racetrack (and I mean a road course not a drag strip) and see how fast you can possibly run the car through a corner I can guarantee you that the car will perform better with that strut tower brace increasing chassis rigidity. If you mount road race tires that increase the g-loads on the suspension way beyond stock, the brace will make a huge difference. GM knows this, that is why they put it on the car and frankly that is part of the reason why the ZL1 Camaro can run with the much lighter Boss Mustang. The underlined section in that fancy write-up says "no aftermarket brace" , this is not an aftermarket brace. It was built by GM because they were trying to improve the cornering in a specialty high performance car. If all you ever do is drive the car straight ahead or you never get close to the limitations of the tires in a corner then take the thing off. It is doing nothing for you. But just because you are not using the limitations of the car does not mean the performance parts are unnecessary.

ModBargains.com 07-18-2013 12:51 PM

I'd love to see videos of it in action if you have any!! Sweet set up! I loved my old KB twin screw!

ZL1-V 07-18-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessrayo (Post 6793160)
Wow, I cannot believe I'm even reading threads like this. This is like saying the front air ducts to the brakes do nothing to stopping distance. They do nothing until you push the car to its limits and if you do that the brake duct will raise the limitations of the braking system by increasing cooling. If you take the car to the racetrack (and I mean a road course not a drag strip) and see how fast you can possibly run the car through a corner I can guarantee you that the car will perform better with that strut tower brace increasing chassis rigidity. If you mount road race tires that increase the g-loads on the suspension way beyond stock, the brace will make a huge difference. GM knows this, that is why they put it on the car and frankly that is part of the reason why the ZL1 Camaro can run with the much lighter Boss Mustang. The underlined section in that fancy write-up says "no aftermarket brace" , this is not an aftermarket brace. It was built by GM because they were trying to improve the cornering in a specialty high performance car. If all you ever do is drive the car straight ahead or you never get close to the limitations of the tires in a corner then take the thing off. It is doing nothing for you. But just because you are not using the limitations of the car does not mean the performance parts are unnecessary.


I agree that one has to "push their car" especially "on a road course" to understand the limits of it. Most of never will attain that level. The increase in roll stiffness comes from lower and stiffer springs and sway bars. I ran my 1996 Saleen Mustang Cobra with Griggs suspension with and without the cross brace bar and I'll leave it at that. That car was run on the track and in the Angeles National Forest here in So Cal. The Gen5 cars of today are much stiffer constructed vehicles than the older cars. It doesn't matter if it's an aftermarket or factory cross brace. They both are designed the same and fit in the factory mounts. It appears as if you're trying to use the "wording" to benefit your theory. Just to clarify you are stating for a fact that "Pete" from Pedders who deals with this stuff daily and has lap times to prove it is lying? I'm sure he'll love to hear that?

jessrayo 07-18-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1-V (Post 6793738)
I agree that one has to "push their car" especially "on a road course" to understand the limits of it. Most of never will attain that level. The increase in roll stiffness comes from lower and stiffer springs and sway bars. I ran my 1996 Saleen Mustang Cobra with Griggs suspension with and without the cross brace bar and I'll leave it at that. That car was run on the track and in the Angeles National Forest here in So Cal. The Gen5 cars of today are much stiffer constructed vehicles than the older cars. It doesn't matter if it's an aftermarket or factory cross brace. They both are designed the same and fit in the factory mounts. It appears as if you're trying to use the "wording" to benefit your theory. Just to clarify you are stating for a fact that "Pete" from Pedders who deals with this stuff daily and has lap times to prove it is lying? I'm sure he'll love to hear that?

I don't know "Pete" from Peddlers at all and I have no idea what he said. If he said a strut tower brace "does not do anything" I guess I will say he is lying. I know it makes a car chassis stiffer by closing the top half of what would be a "u" shaped structure. I know cars continue to get stiffer and stiffer chassis. That is part of the reason why a lightweight Camaro still weighs 4000+ pounds. But adding that strut brace stiffens the structure just like adding a roof over the convertible. Does Pete say the roof does not do anything? I'm really not trying to get in a fight here. I have driven many cars with various levels of chassis stability and that brace is going to stiffen up the car under heavy corning loads. If you are good you can drive a convertible fast on the track but a good driver almost always laps faster with the hardtop than the vert because the chassis is stiffer. That generally makes the car more predictable and easier to drive fast at the performance edge. That is what that brace does. If a machine can't measure it then I say you need a better machine because you can feel it. I will not be taking my brace off.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.