Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   SS slotted rotors advise appreciated (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309559)

intensifi 07-26-2013 10:55 PM

SS slotted rotors advise appreciated
 
Which manufacturers should I be looking at?

Suggested vendors would be appreciated as well.

I'm about to install SS Brembos on my 2LT. I'm trying to decide if I should use the stock SS rotors or upgrade the rotors as part of the install.

SSMickey 07-26-2013 11:10 PM

With modern pad compounds, there is really no need to run slotted rotors or drilled either, unless you just want the racey look.

intensifi 07-26-2013 11:37 PM

I was under the impression that the slotted rotors stopped better. They seem to on my '01 X5.

nbrigdan 07-26-2013 11:41 PM

RacingBrake has good quality from what I've heard, I believe some people on this forum have had good experience with them. (Rotors)

SSMickey 07-27-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intensifi (Post 6825903)
I was under the impression that the slotted rotors stopped better. They seem to on my '01 X5.

There is a lot of misinformation floating around about brakes. Heck, most people you ask think the brakes stop the car. They don't.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...401&highlight=

See post 21. Pete tracks his car HARD and has seen no need for slotted or drilled rotors. Save your money and put it towards something with a little bit more return for the investment.

JewelSS 07-27-2013 12:53 AM

Agreed ^^^ if its looks ur after then do it but not much advantage to it.

SPCBA 07-27-2013 03:44 AM

there is advantages in rotors that can dump
heat and are designed to take abuse and run cooler than other rotors.

racingbrake is the top of line stuff. gurantee my brakes run cooler than other leading brands. the veins and directional heat dissipation is a big reason racing brake 2 piece rotors run cooler and are now on their 10th track day with them.

CHMSC 07-27-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6826186)
there is advantages in rotors that can dump
heat and are designed to take abuse and run cooler than other rotors.

racingbrake is the top of line stuff. gurantee my brakes run cooler than other leading brands. the veins and directional heat dissipation is a big reason racing brake 2 piece rotors run cooler and are now on their 10th track day with them.

X 1,000 racing brake rotors will be my next purchase. I didn't think rotors could make a huge difference till I rode in a car with them on a road course. These rotors matched with their brake pads are freaking rock stars!!!!

Stubbsy 07-27-2013 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I fitted a set from R1 Concepts they were about $500 USD from memory,they look great and my SS stops on a dime. I don't know why my photo is upside down, may be coz I'm from the land down under.

Apex Motorsports 07-27-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbrigdan (Post 6825911)
RacingBrake has good quality from what I've heard, I believe some people on this forum have had good experience with them. (Rotors)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6826186)
there is advantages in rotors that can dump
heat and are designed to take abuse and run cooler than other rotors.

racingbrake is the top of line stuff. gurantee my brakes run cooler than other leading brands. the veins and directional heat dissipation is a big reason racing brake 2 piece rotors run cooler and are now on their 10th track day with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 6826212)
X 1,000 racing brake rotors will be my next purchase. I didn't think rotors could make a huge difference till I rode in a car with them on a road course. These rotors matched with their brake pads are freaking rock stars!!!!

RacingBrake rotors are amazing. If you need "the best", then they are what you want to be looking at. But honestly, they are overkill for most people.

intensifi 07-27-2013 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info so far!

It sounds like racing brake and R1 (slotted & drilled) are way out ahead of what I need for this car though.

I also appreciate the information that stock is sufficient. This is obviously worth consideration.

How about I add a few other desires?:

1) lighter weight
2) doesn't rust when washed
3) not made in china

Doc 07-27-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intensifi (Post 6825805)
Which manufacturers should I be looking at?

Suggested vendors would be appreciated as well.

I'm about to install SS Brembos on my 2LT. I'm trying to decide if I should use the stock SS rotors or upgrade the rotors as part of the install.

What are your driving/performance goals? If you're planning on taking the car to the track, then RacingBrake rotors make a world of difference not only in fade-free stopping power because they run cooler under hard braking conditions, but also in just about every other area of performance because they're about 6 lbs lighter each than the stock rotors. Removing unsprung rotating weight (i.e. wheels, tires, brake rotors) is the most important and performance-improving weight to remove.

If you're not planning on going to the track then the stock SS brakes are more than good for the street.

Team STILLEN 07-27-2013 10:53 AM

We have some really good prices on our Stillen Sport Rotors!

The are made in the USA and machined by us in house!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257770

PM or Call me directly with any questions.

Thanks

JT

t&t moyer 07-27-2013 10:38 PM

OP, you have a budget in mind?

intensifi 07-28-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t&t moyer (Post 6828943)
OP, you have a budget in mind?

Hundreds not thousands

t&t moyer 07-28-2013 12:43 AM

If you want to go for esthetics / looks maybe look at the Granatelli dimpled & slotted rotors. I ordered a set to try. As much as I wanted to go with the 2-pc RB RacingBrake rotors I just couldn't justify it. If I'm not happy with the Granatelli rotors I'll look at Brembo.

nbrigdan 07-28-2013 02:05 AM

Just get front Racing Brake Rotors, and plus if you actually want to stop in a shorter distance you're gonna need stickier tires, but the advantage with this is your brakes are never going to overheat and go mushy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.