Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Strut Brace? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310154)

mc_acoustic 07-30-2013 11:46 AM

Strut Brace?
 
Looking to purchase a strut tower brace for my 2010 v6 camaro.

I have always loved the look of it so I decided to get one.

Anyone know of a good brand to purchase? Or where to get the cheapest one?

MrWray 07-30-2013 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The gm strut tower brace is really nice, its what i have and i really like it

Attachment 538659

mc_acoustic 07-30-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 6838276)
The gm strut tower brace is really nice, its what i have and i really like it

Attachment 538659

That is sick. any other braces out there? Most "gm" places dont ship to canada for some weird reasonl.

Firefighter 07-30-2013 11:59 AM

Go to the factory and procure one...

SemperGumby 07-30-2013 12:01 PM

I've got the BMR 2-point. More for looks than anything, I think it adds some great aesthetics under the hood.

JDP Tyler 07-30-2013 12:02 PM

BMR and Hotchkis make good ones for the 10/11 style strut towers. Be aware that in order to use a factory strut brace, you will need adapter plates to mount it to the old style strut towers.

Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions, pricing and a shipping quote.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

mperryss 07-30-2013 12:07 PM

I have one I'm looking to get rid of if you want it... PM me for details

mudchick_alicia 07-30-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc_acoustic (Post 6838243)
Looking to purchase a strut tower brace for my 2010 v6 camaro.

I have always loved the look of it so I decided to get one.

Anyone know of a good brand to purchase? Or where to get the cheapest one?

The GM strut tower brace is nice but will not fit on the 2010 or early 2011 models with the rounded strut towers. You will have to have a bracket to make it work which is my opinion does not look good when you have to add that to it. Heres a link showing it with the bracket http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192143

I purchased the BMR 2 point brace because it was the best looking one to me....but have yet to put it on because I have been dealing with airbag issues :frown:

Heres a link that shows some pictures of a few different braces mounted
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...brace+pictures

SeriouslySinning 07-30-2013 12:46 PM

I love my BMR...

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/z...605_183534.jpg

mc_acoustic 07-30-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudchick_alicia (Post 6838418)
The GM strut tower brace is nice but will not fit on the 2010 or early 2011 models with the rounded strut towers. You will have to have a bracket to make it work which is my opinion does not look good when you have to add that to it. Heres a link showing it with the bracket http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192143

I purchased the BMR 2 point brace because it was the best looking one to me....but have yet to put it on because I have been dealing with airbag issues :frown:

Heres a link that shows some pictures of a few different braces mounted
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...brace+pictures


this one?

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/bmr-st...maro-ss-stb017

will this work on the 2010 model?

mudchick_alicia 07-30-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc_acoustic (Post 6838492)
this one?

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/bmr-st...maro-ss-stb017

will this work on the 2010 model?

No that one wont work...notice how the struts in that pic have a ledge that the brace tower sits on? The 2010's are rounded and it wont mount.

This is the one I bought but it says for V8 (not sure if it will fit on V6)
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/bmr-st...o-ss-v8-stb013

This one says will work on the V6
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/bmr-st...maro-ss-stb016

SeriouslySinning 07-30-2013 01:00 PM

be careful some require you to drill. They have a BMR rep on here that was very helpful...

hunter1660 07-30-2013 01:28 PM

Never buy a "cheap" anything.....always a lessor expensive one..or...the least expensive one :nod:

MrWray 07-30-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter1660 (Post 6838660)
Never buy a "cheap" anything.....always a lessor expensive one..or...the least expensive one :nod:

"Lessor" see i knew that was a real word, now i have proof! :D

DFWZ28 07-30-2013 02:53 PM

the ss pic looked nice. question, how does the hood close? looks like the little strut would interfere with the brace.

Frank in MD 07-30-2013 03:26 PM

As others have said, the OEM strut tower brace from GM can be made to fit, but does not have the predrilled holes that the 12-13 MY have. For that matter any strut tower brace you buy, holes will need to be drilled. I can also say that after installing my strut tower brace, there was no improvment in handling. I don't doubt it has lessened some flexing and had added more stiffness and rigidity but no handling gains to speak of at all.

amz 07-30-2013 03:36 PM

I bought one for my 2011 , a BMR I beleive, and it doesnt fit. I will look into the mount.

SeriouslySinning 07-30-2013 03:59 PM

I could feel the difference. JMO

Aubrey64 07-30-2013 04:50 PM

The GM strut tower brace is the best one in my opinion

Baba 07-30-2013 05:51 PM

I'd stick with the OEM GM one. ALL of the 5th Gen. convertibles come with the strut tower brace installed from the factory. Can't go wrong with it. It's proven.

OHIOSS 07-30-2013 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought the BMR unpainted and had it chromed.

Cheetoh 07-30-2013 08:41 PM

Not a fan of the Stock Strut Tower Bar, Hotchkiss Makes a nice Strut Bar that will work on your car...

angie7 07-30-2013 09:03 PM

I have the 2 point BMR. Looks tough and I love it

menendez1293 07-30-2013 09:06 PM

Most of the people above are making suggestions but are not considering the Camaro you own. Several of the ones stated above will not work just so you know. My personal preference is the hotchkis brace. Here's a picture of my set up

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbcd17ab3.jpg

JDP Tyler 07-31-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menendez1293 (Post 6840402)
Most of the people above are making suggestions but are not considering the Camaro you own. Several of the ones stated above will not work just so you know. My personal preference is the hotchkis brace. Here's a picture of my set up

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbcd17ab3.jpg

That is my personal favorite as well. We have a full installation write up available on our JDP Motorsports Facebook page to give you an idea of the install process. :thumb:

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.