Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Pull When Accelerating/Decelerating (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310617)

Retro69 08-01-2013 08:44 PM

Pull When Accelerating/Decelerating
 
The last time I was at the drag strip I noticed a pull to the right when I would back off the throttle at the end of a run. After having look underneath when I got home I found I had lost a rear sway bar bushing bracket so I was confident that that was the cause. I had the bracket replaced and an alignment done. Seemed all good but I still am getting a pull to the left under acceleration and then back to the right when I let off the throttle. Anyone had this happen? Any ideas?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RBD 08-01-2013 09:17 PM

will do this if tire pressures are off from side to side

Retro69 08-01-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBD (Post 6848185)
will do this if tire pressures are off from side to side

Hrm... that was a thought but I just checked and the pressures are within one PSI of each other.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SSMickey 08-01-2013 09:31 PM

Sounds like something in your suspension is loose or broke causing an alignment shift as you accelerate or decelerate. Most likely in the front but maybe in the rear. I'd get it up on an alignment rack and check it out. I wouldn't use a lift that will let the suspension droop. It might mask the problem.

heymatt 08-02-2013 06:26 AM

Headers clear the steering shaft?

Retro69 08-02-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymatt (Post 6849007)
Headers clear the steering shaft?

Yeah... don't see any indication they have been hitting the shaft.

SSMickey 08-02-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymatt (Post 6849007)
Headers clear the steering shaft?

I'm at a loss on this comment. I fail to see how a header tube rubbing the steering shaft can cause a car to pull. Care to explain your thought process?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro69 (Post 6849365)
Yeah... don't see any indication they have been hitting the shaft.

You had a chance to put the car on a rack yet?

Retro69 08-02-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSMickey (Post 6850805)

You had a chance to put the car on a rack yet?

Not yet. I had it up on jackstands the other night but didn't see anything obvious. I think I need to get it up in the air with the suspension under load to get a better idea. (Dang... shoulda bought those Race Ramps)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

heymatt 08-02-2013 07:26 PM

If the header on the drivers side is touching the steering shaft. As the motor torques it will raise on the drivers side forcing the shaft to pivot away from the motor forcing the steering shaft to the left. When you let off the throtle the motor would return to a nuetral position, pulling the shaft down forcing a right pull. A broken motor mount could also factor in to this scenario.
Kind of at the outer limits of options but the OP is looking for suggestions.

Retro69 08-02-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymatt (Post 6851296)
If the header on the drivers side is touching the steering shaft. As the motor torques it will raise on the drivers side forcing the shaft to pivot away from the motor forcing the steering shaft to the left. When you let off the throtle the motor would return to a nuetral position, pulling the shaft down forcing a right pull. A broken motor mount could also factor in to this scenario.
Kind of at the outer limits of options but the OP is looking for suggestions.

At this point I'm happy to entertain all ideas :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dekan513 08-03-2013 10:29 AM

sounds like a loose end link or something to me. or a bushing not in time.
my car does it a lil and always had. but its nothing bad the average person wouldnt know it.

Retro69 08-05-2013 11:44 AM

So I spent quite a bit of time yesterday checking everything out and can't find anything that looks like a problem. I rechecked all the bolts for tightness, pried and pulled on all the suspension arms, links, etc. Didn't find anything other than what I would expect as normal movement from the bushings. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just now noticing the pull since I have added my cam, headers, etc earlier this spring. Maybe it has always been there but is more pronounced with the extra power.

There other thought is that perhaps I'm experiencing the toe rods and trailing arms flex/bushing movement. I wish it was in the budget and I'd upgrade them to see if that takes care of the problem.

The only other thing that is odd is I have worn my left rear tire out before the other three, by quite a bit. I'm down to the wear bars yet the right side is still 4/32-5/32" remaining. I'm obsessive about keeping the tire pressure at spec and I don't do a bunch of burnouts, even at the strip... just a quick couple of turns to clean 'em up.

I'm hoping the recent alignment is going to take care of the premature tire wear but I'm still bothered by the pulling.

Any other ideas? Similar experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retro69 08-06-2013 05:30 PM

So I'm at Discount Tire getting my prematurely worn-out rear tire replaced. After driving it down here I'm still convinced there is something wrong. It is a very pronounce pull to the left under acceleration and a shift back to the right when I let off. Feels like I'm driving a front-wheel drive vehicle with torque steer.

I definitely cannot find what's causing this. Might have to take into someone with better equipment to figure this out. (Dang! I had having other people work on my car!)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

driyac 08-06-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro69 (Post 6865333)
So I'm at Discount Tire getting my prematurely worn-out rear tire replaced. After driving it down here I'm still convinced there is something wrong. It is a very pronounce pull to the left under acceleration and a shift back to the right when I let off. Feels like I'm driving a front-wheel drive vehicle with torque steer.

I definitely cannot find what's causing this. Might have to take into someone with better equipment to figure this out. (Dang! I had having other people work on my car!)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have you done pfadts "bushing timing" yet?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.