Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   All the talk about turbos for V6 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31120)

trudawg660 07-06-2009 05:00 PM

All the talk about turbos for V6
 
With all the talk about turbo and twin turbo, which am very interested in. what kind of power gains would their be to expect.

trying not to show my ignorance too much.

blackedout010 07-06-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudawg660 (Post 653384)
With all the talk about turbo and twin turbo, which am very interested in. what kind of power gains would their be to expect.

trying not to show my ignorance too much.

on stock motor a good system would get you 550+ rwhp!! thats around 7-8ilbs of boost. more can easily be had but internals will be a restricition.

Baldturbofreak 07-06-2009 05:39 PM

I dont think the internals will be much of a resriction, just octane. :)

Honestly though, depending on how you option your turbo system the sky is the limit.

If we buy one to be the shop mule, I will be happy in the mid 450's to 500whp mark on pump gas.
Once the block shows what the limits are I suspect sleeving it with a darton MID kit + rods and pistons will allow big power. Like 800whp and above on racefuel.

Youtube a supra with a nice single. Then turn it up, close your eyes and imagine being behind the wheel of your 1LT....

trudawg660 07-06-2009 06:35 PM

550 rwhp is great for me. i dont want to change out any pistons or anything

trudawg660 07-06-2009 06:35 PM

waiting until i pay this car down before i try though.

Baldturbofreak 07-06-2009 06:52 PM

Stepping stones.
A base kit w/2860's can support 700+ on the ragged edge. But at lower boost 10-15 psi it should get the LLT up to around 550 flywheel. 550 wheel will be pushing your luck on pump gas.
But it's all the same kit doing the job. Later on as you pay the car down and get used to the power you can upgrade.

Pistons + rods +studs+ high boost is your "stage 2" and you didnt even change turbo hardware.
Swap the snails to something like a gt3071R-WG and you can support up to 1000 flywheel before you have to jump turbo flange size.

trudawg660 07-06-2009 07:29 PM

it seems like every turbo i see the intercooler is silver in color. i cant stand it.

THE EVIL TW1N 07-06-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudawg660 (Post 653752)
it seems like every turbo i see the intercooler is silver in color. i cant stand it.

That's because they are aluminum most of the time. Paint doesn't dessipate heat as well.

Baldturbofreak 07-06-2009 08:31 PM

A light dusting of flat black is usually okay. It's high emissivity seems to offset the way it coats the face of the chargecooler.

trudawg660 07-06-2009 09:13 PM

if i could get it black that would be nice. makes it look too rice for my liking

MadMaxx 07-07-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudawg660 (Post 653752)
it seems like every turbo i see the intercooler is silver in color. i cant stand it.

Cover it in .50c womens hose from k-mart.

Xanthos 07-07-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMaxx (Post 655121)
Cover it in .50c womens hose from k-mart.

:sm0: :facepalm:

I think you might create a "thermal event" doing it that way.
- X

MadMaxx 07-07-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 655499)
:sm0: :facepalm:

I think you might create a "thermal event" doing it that way.
- X

It won't melt -- your IC surface temps aren't going to get anywhere near hot enough, in addition to it (the hose) being super thin it cools damn near instantly.

I've done this on several cars... easy way to hide it from those you're trying to hustle in a street race ;)

Xanthos 07-07-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMaxx (Post 655514)
It won't melt -- your IC surface temps aren't going to get anywhere near hot enough, in addition to it (the hose) being super thin it cools damn near instantly.

I've done this on several cars... easy way to hide it from those you're trying to hustle in a street race ;)

I was more worried about the back end of it catching fire from the close proximity to the radiator but...

Still not something I would do.
- X

MadMaxx 07-07-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 655516)
I was more worried about the back end of it catching fire from the close proximity to the radiator but...

Still not something I would do.
- X

Nah -- you stretch it over the surface of the fmic, tie it off in the back. Trust me, I never had any problems with it :) The camaro has ample room in the nose for a FMIC setup, probably a good 3-4" pf spacing between the ic and the radiator easy.

Scuffing up an aluminum rad and dusting with a light coat of black spray paint also works.... just don't use ceramic paint (lol... that brings back some interesting thread memories). It doesn't take much to black out a IC... but I doubt you'd even see it on a camaro.

trudawg660 07-07-2009 11:54 AM

i can just imagine for much they are going to try to charge, being that it is such a new car.

JTinFL 07-13-2009 08:32 AM

There will be a couple options out here soon for the V6 and the V8 Camaros.

CamaroDreams07 04-01-2010 03:33 AM

the STS dynoed at 400rwhp. Very nice.

montej23 04-01-2010 11:33 AM

I am not up to speed on alot of the modifications either, so I appreciate those who try to explain this to me.

If and when these kits come out for the Turbo, that usually doesn't cover install correct. So what is the difficulty in installing this??

montej23 04-01-2010 11:34 AM

also does it wear more on the internal engine?

CamaroDreams07 04-01-2010 12:09 PM

The install is pretty involved. You really need to knwo what youre doing. It's probably gonna run you about two grand to get it installed at a shop from what I've heard. So add that to the probably six grand you're gonna drop on the kit. Plus from what I've heard you need to upgrade various parts of the engine that won't come in the kit. So I'm guessing you're looking at at leastt $8000-$9000. LOT of money to drop. Good thing I have four years to save up and let the richer folks blow their engines experimenting before me ;)

SDCamaro10 04-01-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 1664613)
The install is pretty involved. You really need to knwo what youre doing. It's probably gonna run you about two grand to get it installed at a shop from what I've heard. So add that to the probably six grand you're gonna drop on the kit. Plus from what I've heard you need to upgrade various parts of the engine that won't come in the kit. So I'm guessing you're looking at at leastt $8000-$9000. LOT of money to drop. Good thing I have four years to save up and let the richer folks blow their engines experimenting before me ;)

Installation actually isnt all that bad, I've installed a few turbo kits on my old car. The only thing that sucked was that there wasnt a whole lot of room to work with, but if you find a kit that is direct bolt on and all the piping is made to fit your application, it wont be all that hard. I advise taking it to a shop if you havent done it before though. On averarge, it took me about 4-5 hours to install. The tuning is a different battle, since i used a AFC tune, instead of a OBD tune. The shops i've dealt with usually charged anywhere 1,000 to 2,000 for install depending on the kit you get, single or twin, and the accessibility of your engine. Right now, with the turbo kits just coming to the market, you can expect to pay anywhere from 4,000 to 6,000 for a decent kit. Give it a few years and save some money and you could most likely find the same kit for 1,500 not on ebay.

MontyCarlo 04-01-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudawg660 (Post 654095)
if i could get it black that would be nice. makes it look too rice for my liking

I know it's bad form to criticize something small from such an old thread, but... wouldn't painting an intercooler black be doing your mods more for appearance than performance, AKA the very definition of rice?

Kwarren 04-23-2010 10:30 PM

lol ill beleive ill just wait a few years on the turbo stuff...but hey if you didnt want to go all out yet you could get a single turbo? thats gonna put you up a good 100-150 hp...just right now the cars so new everythings so expensive...deffinately the twin turbo's/supercharger etc...I beleive ill just stick with adding cai, headers, and exhaust an try to find cams for the v6...

MustangConvert 04-24-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyCarlo (Post 1665803)
I know it's bad form to criticize something small from such an old thread, but... wouldn't painting an intercooler black be doing your mods more for appearance than performance, AKA the very definition of rice?

Maybe my understanding of rice is wrong, but it is my understanding that ricing is an aesthetic mod that is meant to look or sound like performance (with little to no actual performance gain), and is usually over the top for the car that it is being added to.

Think of it this way, you didn't buy the Camaro strictly for the power, did you? Nothing wrong with wanting your performance parts to look good as long as your not hindering the performance of the part you are adding.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.