Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   LSX block is trash (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312122)

jrpxxii 08-09-2013 06:04 PM

LSX block is trash
 
Not exactly as title states but my block is now trash. I lifted both heads under boost and it destroyed every piston and cracked the block liners. So now I am going to go with an aluminum block since I have to get a new one and save some weight. If any vendors read this and can help me out please reply to thread. I'm going to need block, pistons/rings, gaskets and connecting rods and a few other parts. I'm going to salvage what I can.

Matt @ FSP 08-09-2013 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That sucks jrp.. We have seen too many issues with the LSx block in the past, I'll never go back to them unfortunately to say. Your disaster doesnt sound block related, but yes mine as well save some weight and go into a better block.

Let me know where we can help.

This is a RHS standard deck, built at 436ci, YSi application. Being built right now.

jrpxxii 08-09-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP (Post 6879709)
That sucks jrp.. We have seen too many issues with the LSx block in the past, I'll never go back to them unfortunately to say. Your disaster doesnt sound block related, but yes mine as well save some weight and go into a better block.

Let me know where we can help.

This is a RHS standard deck, built at 436ci, YSi application. Being built right now.

Definitely wasn't the block as it was timing that caused the heads to lift. It was hot out and intake temps went up and computer couldn't pull timing fast enough. Since I now have the option I'm going with an RHS or an ERL block this time. Can u price me a 436 block?

driyac 08-09-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrpxxii (Post 6879776)
Definitely wasn't the block as it was timing that caused the heads to lift. It was hot out and intake temps went up and computer couldn't pull timing fast enough. Since I now have the option I'm going with an RHS or an ERL block this time. Can u price me a 436 block?

so done trusting the guys at cincy speed i take it?

RBL 08-09-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driyac (Post 6879911)
so done trusting the guys at cincy speed i take it?

I was not aware that anybody trusted them.

driyac 08-09-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBL (Post 6879938)
I was not aware that anybody trusted them.

redacted**

jrpxxii 08-09-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driyac (Post 6879911)
so done trusting the guys at cincy speed i take it?

No not at all. They didn't cause this as they have no control of weather change and heat issue. The head guy at Holley came up and looked thru entire tune and it is dead on. From now on the weather will make a big difference in how the tune is setup for timing.

jrpxxii 08-09-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driyac (Post 6879942)
They took 2 years to build his car... Id be livid personally.

Please don't speak what u don't know. The car didn't take 2 years to build. It's gone thru 3 different engine and supercharger setups. I've driven the car many times in between. I'm completely happy with Cincy Speed as this is a race car and shit is going to break. Cincy speed didn't build the engine either, bischoff race engines built the motor and they are one of the best in the nation.

Supercharged SS 08-09-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrpxxii (Post 6879962)
Please don't speak what u don't know. The car didn't take 2 years to build. It's gone thru 3 different engine and supercharger setups. I've driven the car many times in between. I'm completely happy with Cincy Speed as this is a race car and shit is going to break. Cincy speed didn't build the engine either, bischoff race engines built the motor and they are one of the best in the nation.

I'm sorry to read about this Jas. Keep at it. You're so close now.


I don't think most people understand the level that your car is at. It's much more than just about everybody on this site. It would take you a week to list everything about it.

I hope you get it up and running soon.

I was just talking to my dad about going back to bowling green this year. Maybe the stars will realign!!:thumbsup:

driyac 08-09-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrpxxii (Post 6879962)
Please don't speak what u don't know. The car didn't take 2 years to build. It's gone thru 3 different engine and supercharger setups. I've driven the car many times in between. I'm completely happy with Cincy Speed as this is a race car and shit is going to break. Cincy speed didn't build the engine either, bischoff race engines built the motor and they are one of the best in the nation.

Sorry I was misinformed then. I have tried to follow everything you post so once again my apologies.

jrpxxii 08-09-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driyac (Post 6880118)
Sorry I was misinformed then. I have tried to follow everything you post so once again my apologies.

No problem but just want everyone to know I fully support Cincy Speed. As Jamie said, most people have no idea what all has been done to the car as it was basically stripped down to the bare body and rebuilt part by part. This was not a simple thrown together build. People have no idea what all is involved in builds like these to actually make them work. Anyone can make over 1000hp but its extremely difficult to make it all work at the track. Look at Darth Emma's car for another example, ran 8.47 and next time out she broke axles and transmission. I'm putting 30 lbs of boost through my motor too which is going to cause problems eventually no matter what and its just being prepared this will happen. Once I get my motor back in car it's ready to come off the trailer and start ripping it.

old motorhead 08-09-2013 08:37 PM

Attababy:clap2: Sucks to go through what you're going through. Sounds like you have an excellent attitude about it. Whoa is me won't get it rebuilt bigger and badder. Best of luck to you!

Supercharged SS 08-09-2013 08:40 PM

Someone needs to catch the gremlin running around the country breaking engines!!:paddle:

jrpxxii 08-09-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old motorhead (Post 6880224)
Attababy:clap2: Sucks to go through what you're going through. Sounds like you have an excellent attitude about it. Whoa is me won't get it rebuilt bigger and badder. Best of luck to you!

Definitely coming back bigger and badder. Going with an aluminum block this time and more cubes with more compression.

jrpxxii 08-09-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old motorhead (Post 6880224)
Attababy:clap2: Sucks to go through what you're going through. Sounds like you have an excellent attitude about it. Whoa is me won't get it rebuilt bigger and badder. Best of luck to you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 6880235)
Someone needs to catch the gremlin running around the country breaking engines!!:paddle:

No kidding. It was not a good weekend for 5th gens for sure

10aSSee D 08-09-2013 09:00 PM

Can't wait to see this build!!

H-E 08-10-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrpxxii (Post 6880249)
Definitely coming back bigger and badder. Going with an aluminum block this time and more cubes with more compression.

Now your talking!! I have a Warhawk block like we use in the record holding GTO,runs 8.70s @3900 lbs..Call me up ill help you all I can

SSE 4 2SS 08-10-2013 03:04 PM

Wow Jason, sorry to hear but you know the reason... So I'll not state the obvious... I'm thrilled with my ERL, they are running a bit behind now though. Their main engine assembler passed earlier this year... Having said that, they are extremely good blocks... Look at their Turbo Extreme build... If I blow mine up again that's what I'll go with...

http://www.erlperformance.com/gm-ls-...-block-sleeved


It lists 1500 hp but my four bolt is way beyond that at the flywheel with no issue with the motor. We are not pushing any water... LSA heads and oversized head studs... There is a sand dragster pushing 2200 hp with turbos on my exact same rotating assembly, with four bolt heads...

Give em a call and see what they can do for you... I'll get you a contact name if you need it...

Gotthat02fire 08-10-2013 03:29 PM

Hey brother been a while sorry for your loss but I have to amit I am excited to see what you do next!

PoleCat2SSRS2010 08-10-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrpxxii (Post 6879776)
Definitely wasn't the block as it was timing that caused the heads to lift. It was hot out and intake temps went up and computer couldn't pull timing fast enough. Since I now have the option I'm going with an RHS or an ERL block this time. Can u price me a 436 block?

How is a new block of any brand going to solve the computer timing adjustment problem that you mention?

Shouldn't a better grade of fuel be in question instead?

If you go RHS or ERL LS9/A block there is the piston squirter option that will reduce the heat of the piston. Seems to help the ricers while they run timing and high boost numbers that your F2 is capable of producing.

Other than increasing the deck thickness of the heads or block, the other item is the head bolts and making sure that the strongest grade is used.

None of above which will change how the computer responds.

jrpxxii 08-10-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 (Post 6882861)
How is a new block of any brand going to solve the computer timing adjustment problem that you mention?

Shouldn't a better grade of fuel be in question instead?

If you go RHS or ERL LS9/A block there is the piston squirter option that will reduce the heat of the piston. Seems to help the ricers while they run timing and high boost numbers that your F2 is capable of producing.

Other than increasing the deck thickness of the heads or block, the other item is the head bolts and making sure that the strongest grade is used.

None of above which will change how the computer responds.

Thanks for your insight but I already stated I knew the cause. Surely your not implying I actually thought a new block would fix this issue? I'm only talking about the new block because it will be much lighter. The timing wasn't that far off as yes it allowed the heads to lift but it didn't eat plugs and throw shit everywhere. Intake temps went up and it didnt pull enough timing fast enough. Again, this is not a street car that is tuned to run pump gas and be a daily driver. It's a full out race motor that only runs c16 race fuel so fuel is not an issue. We r still learning the Holley dominator software. If u ever go to the race track people blow shit up everyday. That's just part of this sport when your pushing the limits. Ill get my new motor installed and be safe on timing and back in the power from there. Most people would freak out over this but I fully expect to be breaking stuff trying to push the envelope.

JLE58 08-10-2013 05:33 PM

How much boost were you running when you lifted the heads?

BLACK10 08-10-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrpxxii (Post 6883052)
Thanks for your insight but I already stated I knew the cause. Surely your not implying I actually thought a new block would fix this issue? I'm only talking about the new block because it will be much lighter. The timing wasn't that far off as yes it allowed the heads to lift but it didn't eat plugs and throw shit everywhere. Intake temps went up and it didnt pull enough timing fast enough. Again, this is not a street car that is tuned to run pump gas and be a daily driver. It's a full out race motor that only runs c16 race fuel so fuel is not an issue. We r still learning the Holley dominator software. If u ever go to the race track people blow shit up everyday. That's just part of this sport when your pushing the limits. Ill get my new motor installed and be safe on timing and back in the power from there. Most people would freak out over this but I fully expect to be breaking stuff trying to push the envelope.

:amen:

UF4LIFE102SS 08-10-2013 05:44 PM

30lbs

blake-b 08-10-2013 05:52 PM

Jason, have you looked at the LSnext block from Dart?

http://www.dartheads.com/products/en...ext-block.html

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=518959

I realize this may not be exactly what you want and I am not sure about oil pan fitment but might be worth looking into.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.