Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Methanol on my Maggie? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313098)

11syn3rgy 08-14-2013 11:34 PM

Methanol on my Maggie?
 
Hey guys,

I'm just learning more about the benefits of methanol on my Maggie. I'm running the stock pulley and have LT headers and CAI Inc intake. It's been tuned by Jannetty as well. What are the main reasons I should consider doing this? Would I also need to upgrade my stock fuel pump? Just looking for some advice and if its a worthwhile mod at my level? Sounds like an insurance policy that could also add 25 HP?

Thoughts. Thanks!

Supercharged SS 08-14-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy (Post 6899514)
Hey guys,

I'm just learning more about the benefits of methanol on my Maggie. I'm running the stock pulley and have LT headers and CAI Inc intake. It's been tuned by Jannetty as well. What are the main reasons I should consider doing this? Would I also need to upgrade my stock fuel pump? Just looking for some advice and if its a worthwhile mod at my level? Sounds like an insurance policy that could also add 25 HP?

Thoughts. Thanks!

Ted won't want it so look for another mod.:sm0:

Or do a decent converter which would feel like you added a bunch of rwhp.

You could also drop to a 3.6 pulley if you want a little extra power.

11syn3rgy 08-15-2013 08:44 AM

Yeah, the 3.6 pulley is already sitting on my work bench. Just need to decide if I should install the MSD 'BAP' or ZL1 fuel pump and ADM FPCM? Was thinking about the meth instead of the fuel upgrades, but if Ted doesn't want me to do it, I'm not doing it. He hasn't steered me wrong yet and I respect his advice.

BooSSted 08-15-2013 01:04 PM

You do not need the ADM FPCM. Save that money for injectors later. Go with the ZL1 pump, and consult JRE on the meth addition, never hurts to keep things cool .

victoryred1ss 08-15-2013 01:39 PM

Boosted is right no need for a fpcm. I have the ZL1 pump with the MSD bap. With 721 rwhp I still have plenty of fuel. Pulley down add a ZL1 pump and your good to go. Also as said above.. Ted will steer you away from meth.

NickJRE 08-15-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy (Post 6899514)
Hey guys,

I'm just learning more about the benefits of methanol on my Maggie. I'm running the stock pulley and have LT headers and CAI Inc intake. It's been tuned by Jannetty as well. What are the main reasons I should consider doing this? Would I also need to upgrade my stock fuel pump? Just looking for some advice and if its a worthwhile mod at my level? Sounds like an insurance policy that could also add 25 HP?

Thoughts. Thanks!

Skip the Meth, Not necessary for your mods it can be tuned plenty safe without it. Just another thing you will have to babysit. There's no power to be gained with the Methanol safely. Ted won't tune for it that way.

Drop that 3.6 pulley on there with a ZL1 Pump and you'll have some more fun :thumbsup:

11syn3rgy 08-15-2013 03:08 PM

Perfect. Just what I needed to hear. Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!!

BLACK10 08-15-2013 03:29 PM

There Are ways of tuning for meth safely.


Tons of people use it everyday with zero issues.

SmokedSS 08-15-2013 03:48 PM

Running Meth on my Maggie and have been pleased with it. Didn't set it up to add alot of HP more to lower IAT's and it did, help with fuel if I got any bad gas and didn't know it and then it never hurts to have a little added fuel up top. This did allow me to safely if there is such a thing up the boost a little which did give me MO RWHP. And on a side note I pulled the heads @ 20,000 miles to do a LS3 conversion Cam install and the pistons were very clean and that can't hurt either. I think its all in the setup and your end goal in mind. Meth can be your friend.

Aqua_Blue_SS 08-15-2013 03:55 PM

Livernois or LPE pump

Detoxx03 08-15-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK10 (Post 6901571)
There Are ways of tuning for meth safely.


Tons of people use it everyday with zero issues.

Bingo same with nitrous. If you know what you're doing its fine.

Kronix 08-15-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK10 (Post 6901571)
There Are ways of tuning for meth safely.


Tons of people use it everyday with zero issues.

:thumb:

My ALKY Control Meth system's been working great since day 1 with my Maggie, 3.6, OD Cogs, Kooks LTs, ID8500s, ZL1 Pump with ADM FPCM, CAI Inc system, JRE Tensioner and a few other odds & ends, converted my windshield wiper bottle to hold 100% Meth,....but I'm only putting down a little over 700 RWHP....:iono:....There's plenty of tuners that have no issues with using Meth safely, ECS, CMS & Lethal all have had great success using the ALKY kit, lowers my IATs by as much as 70% some days, colder air in means more power, plus it keeps the internals clean as hell.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a tuner, just stating my success running the ALKY system.

11syn3rgy 08-15-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronix (Post 6901854)
:thumb:

My ALKY Control Meth system's been working great since day 1 with my Maggie, 3.6, OD Cogs, Kooks LTs, ID8500s, ZL1 Pump with ADM FPCM, CAI Inc system, JRE Tensioner and a few other odds & ends, converted my windshield wiper bottle to hold 100% Meth,....but I'm only putting down a little over 700 RWHP....:iono:....There's plenty of tuners that have no issues with using Meth safely, ECS, CMS & Lethal all have had great success using the ALKY kit, lowers my IATs by as much as 70% some days, colder air in means more power, plus it keeps the internals clean as hell.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a tuner, just stating my success running the ALKY system.

I appreciate that. Great job on your set up btw. I'll have to take baby steps if I want to stay happily married! HA! I'm getting there though. I'm pretty frickin' excited to say that mine is in the 11's at this point. Everything else is just icing on the cake. But, I LIKE icing!!! :D

Chris@Livernois 08-15-2013 05:50 PM

Here is the link for our fuel pump that we use on 90% of the cars we upgrade.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...-Assembly.html

Kronix 08-15-2013 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy (Post 6902084)
I appreciate that. Great job on your set up btw. I'll have to take baby steps if I want to stay happily married! HA! I'm getting there though. I'm pretty frickin' excited to say that mine is in the 11's at this point. Everything else is just icing on the cake. But, I LIKE icing!!! :D


No problem & thank you. I hear you about the baby steps, I just jumped right in the deep end when I bought mine and basically didn't see it for a year! I just thought you should know that there are plenty of very successful Gen 5s & Vettes running the ALKY Control system with awesome results, as well as being extremely safe, adding power & lowering IATs.


I like icing too :D
This was from a 90 degree, humid, NJ night a couple of weeks ago, still running the tune CMS did when I lived in Cali, but I'm going to ECS after Corvettes at Carlisle for a new tune since the east coast gas is better than the Cali garbage. So we should be able to pull some timing, and I should see 9s

old motorhead 08-15-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK10 (Post 6901571)
There Are ways of tuning for meth safely.


Tons of people use it everyday with zero issues.

Can you dumb it down so this simpleton farm boy can understand the safeguards? When using a TVS2300 and meth, I haven't seen the big drop in IAT's that the centri and turbo boys see when the meth turns on. The octane increase is a given and that's all good if you need it. I'm assuming that the IAT's are what the safeguards are based on? Just type slow....so I can follow you:D

11syn3rgy 08-15-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronix (Post 6902579)
No problem & thank you. I hear you about the baby steps, I just jumped right in the deep end when I bought mine and basically didn't see it for a year! I just thought you should know that there are plenty of very successful Gen 5s & Vettes running the ALKY Control system with awesome results, as well as being extremely safe, adding power & lowering IATs.


I like icing too :D
This was from a 90 degree, humid, NJ night a couple of weeks ago, still running the tune CMS did when I lived in Cali, but I'm going to ECS after Corvettes at Carlisle for a new tune since the east coast gas is better than the Cali garbage. So we should be able to pull some timing, and I should see 9s

Holy $#!T!!!! Must be nice. I'm jealous. ;)

Kronix 08-15-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy (Post 6902738)
Holy $#!T!!!! Must be nice. I'm jealous. ;)

It's a fun car, it was basically built from the ground up, not too many stock components left. Suspension, drivetrain, axles, clutch, cam, heads, I could go on & on and it's only got 3500 miles on the clock. I wanted to make it as bulletproof as possible and not wait till something broke to upgrade it.

It's holding me over till my black C7 Z51 starts getting built. :c7: :stingray:

You should think about what your power goals are going to be in the big picture, because that will tell you what you should be thinking about & saving for.

bct10985 08-15-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronix (Post 6902579)
No problem & thank you. I hear you about the baby steps, I just jumped right in the deep end when I bought mine and basically didn't see it for a year! I just thought you should know that there are plenty of very successful Gen 5s & Vettes running the ALKY Control system with awesome results, as well as being extremely safe, adding power & lowering IATs.


I like icing too :D
This was from a 90 degree, humid, NJ night a couple of weeks ago, still running the tune CMS did when I lived in Cali, but I'm going to ECS after Corvettes at Carlisle for a new tune since the east coast gas is better than the Cali garbage. So we should be able to pull some timing, and I should see 9s

6 speed? Tires? Rwhp? Has anyone ran 9s with a 6 speed? None that i know of

Supercharged SS 08-15-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bct10985 (Post 6902819)
6 speed? Tires? Rwhp? Has anyone ran 9s with a 6 speed? None that i know of

No. Not even close

Supercharged SS 08-15-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronix (Post 6902579)
No problem & thank you. I hear you about the baby steps, I just jumped right in the deep end when I bought mine and basically didn't see it for a year! I just thought you should know that there are plenty of very successful Gen 5s & Vettes running the ALKY Control system with awesome results, as well as being extremely safe, adding power & lowering IATs.


I like icing too :D
This was from a 90 degree, humid, NJ night a couple of weeks ago, still running the tune CMS did when I lived in Cali, but I'm going to ECS after Corvettes at Carlisle for a new tune since the east coast gas is better than the Cali garbage. So we should be able to pull some timing, and I should see 9s

Do you have any vids?
Can you post the entire slip showing the date/time/etc. I'd like to see the weather.
What tires /wheels?

Thanks

Kronix 08-15-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bct10985 (Post 6902819)
6 speed? Tires? Rwhp? Has anyone ran 9s with a 6 speed? None that i know of

Yes 6 speed, Nitto Drag Radials, tad over 700 RWHP

Supercharged SS 08-15-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronix (Post 6902862)
Yes 6 speed, Nitto Drag Radials, tad over 700 RWHP


So that's a no on posting the full slip?:iono:

bct10985 08-15-2013 09:32 PM

Guy on here with a bit over 700rwhp said he ran a 10.5 with 18" drag radials, stock suspension. 6 speed and whipple.

Supercharged SS 08-15-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bct10985 (Post 6903071)
Guy on here with a bit over 700rwhp said he ran a 10.5 with 18" drag radials, stock suspension. 6 speed and whipple.


Who's that? I would like to see a video of that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.