Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Rubbing compound wtf! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321668)

ilirg 10-05-2013 06:34 PM

Rubbing compound wtf!

So I give my black coupe a fresh wash, and since I noticed some swirl marks starting to form on my hood a few weeks ago decided to try a rubbing compound to get rid of them. I apply a little bit to a slightly damp microfiber cloth as per the instructions on the container, and lightly rub it into a portion of my hood, I then start to take of the residue again per the directions on the container with a fresh clean cloth and after its all gone to my horror are long what appear to be surface scratches in my paint where the compound was applied. I tried putting more pressure to buff it out thinking maybe the residue was still on there, but that didnt help, neither did water and soap. I applied some carnuba wax and that seemed to help a little bit, but its still very noticable.

Please help?

WiSSDiver 10-05-2013 06:48 PM

The rubbing compound is probably the most aggressive thing you would ever want to use on your paint.

You are going to need some help and we're here, but you need to put some time into it researching the fix.

Start here so you know what will need to be done:

http://youtu.be/KP-eAddv2sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

Watch all of his vids on this topic and we will recommend a few others then Come back here and start asking questions. Essentially your going to need learn how to machine polish to correct this, but is very easy once you've done your homework and get some proper tools.

Don't rush into any quick fixes or go out buy our ducts that will just hide the damage. We can help you fix it, but you'll need to put in the research.

ilirg 10-05-2013 07:35 PM

Thank you for the video link, very informative. Looks like 5 minutes of f'ng up, is going to cost me a lot of time to fix. Is there a machine perhaps more affordable then the one he uses?

CamaroDreams07 10-05-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilirg (Post 7066863)
Thank you for the video link, very informative. Looks like 5 minutes of f'ng up, is going to cost me a lot of time to fix. Is there a machine perhaps more affordable then the one he uses?

No

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Ohten 10-05-2013 09:08 PM

After purchasing a black car your next purchase should have been a porter cable or flex polisher and pads.Rubbing compound is generally used to remove or diminish deep scratches(ie sanding marks)

A polishing compound would have given better results.Check around your area and see if a C5 member will help you out.If you were in S.Florida I would be more than happy to have you stop by and use my equipment and lend a helping hand.

Dont despair it can be corrected with the right equipment and polish.

ec1990 10-05-2013 09:55 PM

You could go with a harbor freight polisher and get an aftermarket backing plate like lake country. But expect to drop $150-200 or so to get what you need.

Dyk-NO 10-06-2013 02:10 AM

I used meguiars ultra cut compound with my porter cable set to the highest mode, got rid of the swirl marks and mild scratches and had no paint damage

babaron 10-06-2013 05:56 AM

Ilirg, Camaro 5 has 10's of thousands of members all over the country. I'm sure someone here lives close enough to you to lend you a helping hand and the tools you'll need to correct this. You'll still need to educate yourself on proper care and correction to make sure this doesn't happen again, but if you're not in a position to drop this kind of cash on a polisher right now, I, for one would be happy to help you if you were, or are ever in, the SW Ohio area.

ilirg 10-06-2013 11:30 AM

Thanks for the help guys, you guys are great. I might as well just drop the dime and do it right. My truck is black too so im sure it will be worth the investment once it's all said and done.

CamaroDreams07 10-06-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilirg (Post 7068161)
Thanks for the help guys, you guys are great. I might as well just drop the dime and do it right. My truck is black too so im sure it will be worth the investment once it's all said and done.

That's exactly the answer we like to hear around here!

Ricamaro 10-06-2013 11:54 AM

Check out your local forums or try to find a local club; someone is bound to take pity on your plight and help you out. (doesn't have to be camaro only - car guys is car guys, regardless of the brand)

OR, find a good, reputable local detailer to hire.

You could spend hundreds of $$$ on polishing equipment and supplies and a lot of time learning proper technique and still not get desired results
or
you could spend the money and have a qualified professional do it right the first time.

OR...
Try this
get some Meguiar's ScratchX, Turtle Wax Color Back and Zymol Cleaner Wax (blue stuff)
Use the ScratchX first rubbing in one direction, from fender to fender (R to L), followed by the Turtle Wax at 45 deg to your previous session, followed by Zymol Front to back
It will take time and probably a couple of sessions since you are doing it by hand. Use different pads for each compound. You'll want to spend
a good amount of time and effort on your final Zymol session.

You want to go from the most abrasive (rubbing compound - which you've already done) to next least abrasive (ScratchX / Turtle Wax) to least abrasive (Zymol)
Wax is only a topcoat protectant, not a polish
Zymol as a final finish is not bad - be sure to mist with (distilled) water and give a final rub down after you've rubbed out the first hazing (read the directions on the bottle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ZZJMa540E

WiSSDiver 10-06-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricamaro (Post 7068216)
Check out your local forums or try to find a local club; someone is bound to take pity on your plight and help you out. (doesn't have to be camaro only - car guys is car guys, regardless of the brand)

You could spend hundreds of $$$ on polishing equipment and supplies and a lot of time learning proper technique and still not get desired results
or
you could spend the money and have a qualified professional do it right the first time.

OR...
Try this
get some ScratchX and Zymol cleaner wax (blue stuff)
Use the ScratchX first rubbing in one direction, from fender to fender (R to L), followed by the Zymol Front to back.
It will take time and probably a couple of sessions since you are doing it by hand. Use different pads for each compound

You want to go from the most abrasive (polishing compound) to next least abrasive (ScratchX) to least abrasive (Zymol)

After getting you To the point that we did, please ignor these suggestion.

You're going to get the results you're looking for if you do it yourself. You'll never be able to correct (the operative word) the problem trying to do this by hand and while the hundreds you'll spend one time having a pro fix it, you'll be able to fix it multiple times when the other problems occur.

CamaroDreams07 10-06-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricamaro (Post 7068216)

or

OR...
Try this
get some Meguiar's ScratchX, Turtle Wax Color Back and Zymol Cleaner Wax (blue stuff)
Use the ScratchX first rubbing in one direction, from fender to fender (R to L), followed by the Turtle Wax at 45 deg to your previous session, followed by Zymol Front to back
It will take time and probably a couple of sessions since you are doing it by hand. Use different pads for each compound. You'll want to spend
a good amount of time and effort on your final Zymol session.

You want to go from the most abrasive (rubbing compound) to next least abrasive (ScratchX / Turtle Wax) to least abrasive (Zymol)
Zymol as a final finish is not bad - be sure to mist with (distilled) water and give a final rub down after you've rubbed out the first hazing (read the directions on the bottle)

This might be one of the worst posts ever on this forum.

Certainly one of the most ignorant.

Ricamaro 10-06-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 7068359)
This might be one of the worst posts ever on this forum.

Certainly one of the most ignorant.

Having done it, I stand by my advice; first and foremost:
"have a professional do it right"

The other process, by hand, is hard work, and must be done with care. BUT NONE of the products listed will scratch his paint more than the rubbing compound already used.

ilirg 10-06-2013 06:49 PM

just finished ordering everything it looks like Im going to need. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out, not only for the rubbing compound f up, but the rest of the car as well.

Thanks again

WiSSDiver 10-06-2013 08:41 PM

Ilirig, we're here for you and I think you'll find not only is it not that difficult, you'll do yourself proud.

Ricamaro, the purpose of the detail section of the forum is for enthusiast to not only swap stories, but learn. Just going to a pro detailer is only going to put money in your detailers pocket. What happens in between full details? He's going to want to learn proper in between maintenance as well.

Finally, I don't care how long you hand polish, you are not going to correct it. Remember "correct" was the operative word. If you take a bright light to the area you hand rubbed with rubbing compound, you'll see it will not be corrected. In fact it's probably worse. To correct the damage from the rubbing compound you're going to need to use a two step process, from aggressive to less aggressive to polish out the damage. Then Glaze, seal, and wax.

I don't think we're trying to be confrontational here as much as we are trying to help ilirig learn the correct technique to fix the errors of his original ways. (Ilirig, don't forget to clay first after you've properly washed the car). Also, enjoy the passion. It's damn fun.

ec1990 10-06-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiSSDiver (Post 7069606)
Ilirig, we're here for you and I think you'll find not only is it not that difficult, you'll do yourself proud.

Ricamaro, the purpose of the detail section of the forum is for enthusiast to not only swap stories, but learn. Just going to a pro detailer is only going to put money in your detailers pocket. What happens in between full details? He's going to want to learn proper in between maintenance as well.

Finally, I don't care how long you hand polish, you are not going to correct it. Remember "correct" was the operative word. If you take a bright light to the area you hand rubbed with rubbing compound, you'll see it will not be corrected. In fact it's probably worse. To correct the damage from the rubbing compound you're going to need to use a two step process, from aggressive to less aggressive to polish out the damage. Then Glaze, seal, and wax.

I don't think we're trying to be confrontational here as much as we are trying to help ilirig learn the correct technique to fix the errors of his original ways. (Ilirig, don't forget to clay first after you've properly washed the car). Also, enjoy the passion. It's damn fun.

Great post.

What's the point in getting your car corrected if you don't have the technique or know-how to maintain it?

And hand polishing is just moot in this day and age, except in extreme cases. Save the time and get better results by just going with a polisher from the get-go instead of wasting money on hand polishing products.

Nick@Adams 10-07-2013 09:24 AM

OP, glad to hear you've decided to make the investment to take care of it yourself!

We like that option around here. :)

Keep up posted on your results and if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm happy to help.

ilirg 10-08-2013 03:34 PM

Quick question, after I'm done with my final go of polishing with the Maguire's 205, will I need to apply a wax or sealent to protect the paint? I'm guessing yes lol, but want to make sure

vinman 10-08-2013 03:57 PM

Yes, I would use a sealant, then glaze it and finally throw some good wax on it :thumbsup:

WiSSDiver 10-08-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinman (Post 7075505)
Yes, I would use a sealant, then glaze it and finally throw some good wax on it :thumbsup:

With Adams, yes. Everything else Glaze, Seal then wax.

CamaroDreams07 10-08-2013 09:00 PM

If you did your polishing properly there's no need to touch a glaze.

ilirg 10-14-2013 07:23 PM

Ok guys so I started my paint correction today. Went step by step as per junkman's video, thought everything looked great, then I shine a light on my work and there are like phantom marks left by the polish, I wiped it down with the detail spray and nothing changed. I'm not sure what I did wrong, I followed the directions to a T. The good news is that the original scratched left by the rubbing compound are gone, but now I have this new problem to work out :(

Is it maybe because I did not work the polish in long enough?

ec1990 10-14-2013 07:49 PM

Are you sure you wiped it all off? May want to try an IPA wipedown.

WiSSDiver 10-14-2013 08:16 PM

Which polisher did you end up using?