Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Looks like im going to need to get a Z28 as well... (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323222)

qniknam 10-15-2013 11:17 AM

Looks like im going to need to get a Z28 as well...
 
After seeing that wicked video I think it's time to buy a Z28 as well...

Jeff65SS 10-15-2013 12:21 PM

No link?

TripleBlkZL1 10-15-2013 01:11 PM

I'm not hating at all but I was expecting a lower time.. I'm very proud of the Chevy team and what they accomplished.. IMO the Z/28 was hyped way to much...Thinner glass, carbon ceramic brakes, smaller rims, 305's in all corners, no a/c or radio, and no power seats... I was expecting very low 7:30's.. they need to do a re run in better weather.

jessrayo 10-15-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qniknam (Post 7094381)
After seeing that wicked video I think it's time to buy a Z28 as well...

what wicked video?

ZL1Dave 10-15-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 (Post 7094695)
I'm not hating at all but I was expecting a lower time.. I'm very proud of the Chevy team and what they accomplished.. IMO the Z/28 was hyped way to much...Thinner glass, carbon ceramic brakes, smaller rims, 305's in all corners, no a/c or radio, and no power seats... I was expecting very low 7:30's.. they need to do a re run in better weather.

Agreed I think that rain towards the end of the lap really forced the driver to back off a bit as the car looked to be getting loose

TripleBlkZL1 10-15-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1Dave (Post 7094706)
Agreed I think that rain towards the end of the lap really forced the driver to back off a bit as the car looked to be getting loose

Definitely! Hopefully they do

Sven59 10-15-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 (Post 7094695)
I'm not hating at all but I was expecting a lower time.. I'm very proud of the Chevy team and what they accomplished.. IMO the Z/28 was hyped way to much...Thinner glass, carbon ceramic brakes, smaller rims, 305's in all corners, no a/c or radio, and no power seats... I was expecting very low 7:30's.. they need to do a re run in better weather.


It sucks, they probably had a window they had to accomplish everything and ran out of time, the ZL1's best time was its last run.

Diode Dynamics 10-15-2013 01:22 PM

Will someone post the video of the lap?

Pleeeeeasse!

Nick C.

menendez1293 10-15-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff65SS (Post 7094533)
No link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessrayo (Post 7094696)
what wicked video?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics (Post 7094732)
Will someone post the video of the lap?

Pleeeeeasse!

Nick C.


Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1h75vA1Jw

jessrayo 10-15-2013 01:27 PM

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323131

here.... the car still never gets over 161mph. Down on horsepower, better cornering speed. On that track it is a winner.

40years 10-15-2013 01:27 PM

C'mon people. The car is only ABOUT 300#'s lighter. It was running on a cold, damp track. I don't care how hot the tires were, without the track being somewhat warm, that was a very respectable time. Let's wait until better conditions, then bash it if you must.

TripleBlkZL1 10-15-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40years (Post 7094752)
C'mon people. The car is only ABOUT 300#'s lighter. It was running on a cold, damp track. I don't care how hot the tires were, without the track being somewhat warm, that was a very respectable time. Let's wait until better conditions, then bash it if you must.

I wasn't bashing at all.

joes407 10-15-2013 02:07 PM

great video. love stretching those rpms to 7k. you think that was 5th gear on the final straight?

menendez1293 10-15-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joes407 (Post 7094860)
great video. love stretching those rpms to 7k. you think that was 5th gear on the final straight?

It could be. I know the ZR1 will redline near 160-170ish in 5th.

snackbar64 10-15-2013 02:40 PM

Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.

djnice 10-15-2013 02:46 PM

Looks like he had to back off quite a bit even midway. Should be room to gain. That thing sounds good.

ZED SLED 10-15-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 (Post 7094695)
I'm not hating at all but I was expecting a lower time.. I'm very proud of the Chevy team and what they accomplished.. IMO the Z/28 was hyped way to much...Thinner glass, carbon ceramic brakes, smaller rims, 305's in all corners, no a/c or radio, and no power seats... I was expecting very low 7:30's.. they need to do a re run in better weather.

The article said they figure they lost about 6 seconds because of track conditions, so that's in your ballpark. Still impressive seeing a 'street' car on the track at 160 with the wipers on.

TripleBlkZL1 10-15-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclark10 (Post 7095213)
The article said they figure they lost about 6 seconds because of track conditions, so that's in your ballpark. Still impressive seeing a 'street' car on the track at 160 with the wipers on.

I definitely believe that. Hopefully they will go back one day.

ZL1-V 10-15-2013 04:36 PM

Very impressive run considering the damp tarmac. I'm just hoping that the future owners of this car actually take it to the track and drive it as intended! Don't make it a garage queen to brag about. I am very happy with my ZL1 that is a daily driver.

CobraBall 10-15-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40years (Post 7094752)
C'mon people. The car is only ABOUT 300#'s lighter. It was running on a cold, damp track. I don't care how hot the tires were, without the track being somewhat warm, that was a very respectable time. Let's wait until better conditions, then bash it if you must.

A ZL1 maybe. It's only a 100 lbs lighter than a SS.

Quote:

Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
The ZL1 is the better daily driver. The Z28 seems like a pure track toy to me.

littlecammi 10-15-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics (Post 7094732)
Will someone post the video of the lap?

It's posted in at least two threads in the Z/28 section here on Camaro5. There's the same Z/28 run video overlaid with video of the ZL1 run. While the Z/28 was only 3.8 seconds faster than the ZL1, they expect it to run another 6 seconds faster on a completely dry track. The overlaid videos prove that out, as the Z/28 builds up a lead of several seconds on the ZL1 in the first five minutes or so of the videos (judged by track position markers) but loses some of its time advantage to the ZL1 on the wet track after that point on the course. And they probably couldn't just stay over another day to get a full good run on a dry track because their time was up and another car company had already leased it.

Diode Dynamics 10-15-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlecammi (Post 7095580)
It's posted in at least two threads in the Z/28 section here on Camaro5. There's the same Z/28 run video overlaid with video of the ZL1 run. While the Z/28 was only 3.8 seconds faster than the ZL1, they expect it to run another 6 seconds faster on a completely dry track. The overlaid videos prove that out, as the Z/28 builds up a lead of several seconds on the ZL1 in the first five minutes or so of the videos (judged by track position markers) but loses some of its time advantage to the ZL1 on the wet track after that point on the course. And they probably couldn't just stay over another day to get a full good run on a dry track because their time was up and another car company had already leased it.

Sorry, I miss some of the threads here and there :bonk:

Nick C.

jessrayo 10-15-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlecammi (Post 7095580)
It's posted in at least two threads in the Z/28 section here on Camaro5. There's the same Z/28 run video overlaid with video of the ZL1 run. While the Z/28 was only 3.8 seconds faster than the ZL1, they expect it to run another 6 seconds faster on a completely dry track. The overlaid videos prove that out, as the Z/28 builds up a lead of several seconds on the ZL1 in the first five minutes or so of the videos (judged by track position markers) but loses some of its time advantage to the ZL1 on the wet track after that point on the course. And they probably couldn't just stay over another day to get a full good run on a dry track because their time was up and another car company had already leased it.

First of all, I'm sure this is not the only hot lap the Z28 has done on the ring. It is the fastest one that GM has recorded or they would have posted the other faster laps. It starts raining on the second carousel and from there comes one fast sweeper, a long uphill straight with a full throttle bend at the crest then a couple of decelerating corners before the finish line. Rain does not make much difference on the straight, that is why the best time the z28 posted has some rain after almost all of the major corners were done. I will admit that he struggles for grip on the last few corners after the straight he may give up 3 seconds there.

Now the ZL1 makes up time at the end not because it is raining but because it is an uphill straight and the ZL1 has 80 more HP. It has an 11 mph advantage almost the entire straight and that is a long straight, about 1.3 miles. It does the same against the Z06 (which has the same engine and trans) if you watch it's video. ZL1 does not gain because of rain but because of horsepower down a straight.

So I'm thinking the rain at the end is great for marketing, Z/28 does awesome time with rain on the track but in reality it didn't make much difference or they would have posted the faster dry lap. It's a great cornering car... no doubt. Horsepower always wins on the straights. I'm not totally on the Z28 bandwagon yet.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.