Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   2014 Z/28 roll up windows? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323741)

LS6-M22 10-18-2013 12:53 AM

2014 Z/28 roll up windows?

I was wondering if the new Z/28 will have roll up windows to save weight? I understand A/C is an option as is a radio so I'm wondering if power windows also will be an option?Anyone Know?It would make sense and most important save weight...

DavidW 10-18-2013 02:08 AM

I doubt it , you would also lose the auto rolldown fuction of the window with manual windows so the glass would be subject to much greater strain when closing the door

AGM 1LE 10-18-2013 06:31 AM

it has power windows, they are lighter than manual crank

Gary B 10-18-2013 06:23 PM

Modern electronics...got to love that!

Brian 1LE SS 10-21-2013 02:12 AM

Not sure why people still think roll up windows are lighter than power windows. Power windows have been lighter for decades.

LS6-M22 10-21-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian 1LE SS (Post 7111433)
Not sure why people still think roll up windows are lighter than power windows. Power windows have been lighter for decades.

That's news to me. How so? The power motor must weigh more then a crank. The only reason I thought the Z/28 would come with power windows is it would be too expensive to engineer crank windows on a limited edition car being that power windows are standard and all you can get on all models.

DavidW 10-30-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS6-M22 (Post 7112318)
That's news to me. How so? The power motor must weigh more then a crank. The only reason I thought the Z/28 would come with power windows is it would be too expensive to engineer crank windows on a limited edition car being that power windows are standard and all you can get on all models.

there's linkage from the crank to the window and you need some sort of gear reduction in there too, and youre converting circular motion into linear motion

Col. Brain 10-30-2013 03:30 PM

the Z/28 should have come with the old Chrysler belt windows that were in the super stockers in the 60s.

A belt and a snap attached to the window. 2 positions open or closed:pop2:

Serge627 10-31-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col. Brain (Post 7141948)
the Z/28 should have come with the old Chrysler belt windows that were in the super stockers in the 60s.

A belt and a snap attached to the window. 2 positions open or closed:pop2:

Now thats a good idea, old school, hardcore!

b4z 10-31-2013 02:11 PM

The reason it is coming with power windows is because they never designed roll up windows for the 5th gen. So its not worth the expense to design and tool the parts for 2000 cars.

Number 3 10-31-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b4z (Post 7145291)
The reason it is coming with power windows is because they never designed roll up windows for the 5th gen. So its not worth the expense to design and tool the parts for 2000 cars.

That!

Arguably a small electric motor weighs more than a crank handle. But the difference these days is small. Very few GM cars can be had with manual windows and that is driven by cost on the end not mass which is also very critical.

strych9 10-31-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 7145302)
That!

Arguably a small electric motor weighs more than a crank handle. But the difference these days is small. Very few GM cars can be had with manual windows and that is driven by cost on the end not mass which is also very critical.

It isn't the crank handle vs electric motor. :facepalm:

It's what's inside the door. Crank windows require a lot of heavier metal components, and electric hardly and additional metal at all. The motors are thin and lightweight. No comparison.

ZL1-V 10-31-2013 05:25 PM

I come from manual crank days. I will always choose electric power windows. Ever break a hand crank off? I have many times. Cheaply made and no longer relevant. Looking at all of the new drivers around me most these days would probably crash trying to roll up a window and drive straight down the road.

Number 3 10-31-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strych9 (Post 7145357)
It isn't the crank handle vs electric motor. :facepalm:

It's what's inside the door. Crank windows require a lot of heavier metal components, and electric hardly and additional metal at all. The motors are thin and lightweight. No comparison.

No, it's the motor. Look at any recent cable drive window regulator. You'll see the rails and cables and mechanism are pretty much the same between the two with the exception that you have a motor and a bracket. The difference is the motor weight, not the mechanism.

You might be thinking of the old arm and sector type drive mechanism and even then.............it's the motor.

kevinw 11-11-2013 08:27 PM

OMG. i cant see how someone driving around the track at 180 mph would want to try to crank his windows up by hand! wow. that would be an experience.

OldScoolCamaro 11-11-2013 09:08 PM

...stuff is so refined nowadays....electric motors and window assemblies are lightweight...roll ups are heavy dinsosaurs....weight reduction already in place, no going back...

Splat 11-11-2013 09:37 PM

I as well thought crank windows would be sick for the Z/28, just to keep that historic feel.... but if you look at the door panel, where in the world would you put it? There is no room, your knee would be smashing against it all the time.

I now feel that power windows are the right way to go.

Number 3 11-12-2013 07:24 AM

The big issue is simply that the door design requires indexing glass to open the door and provide good sealing.

If you want to see why you can't really do crank windows on a captured glass system with a header less door design then close your door, disconnect the battery and see how well the door opens and closes. For the most part you will notice a big difference and it will be immediately obvious why crank windows won't work.

Denis 11-12-2013 08:10 AM

In all honesty how much of a weight difference would it even be? a few lbs? is a few lbs really going to make a difference?

like previously stated, they arent going to engineer a hand crank setup for a limited run vehicle. throw in the power windows that they already have and call it a day.

1sikss 11-12-2013 08:23 AM

come on ppl how the hell would you close the door if it was manual windows haven't you notice your window moves wen u open and close the door i can't believe ppl are arguing about the weight….. manual wouldn't be possible on the camaro period lmao

2fullgarage 11-12-2013 08:30 AM

Maybe APEX will come out with a conversion kit for manual windows :biggrin: