Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   New Vs. Original: 2014 Camaro Z/28 vs. 1967 Z/28 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324950)

Tran 10-25-2013 02:58 PM

New Vs. Original: 2014 Camaro Z/28 vs. 1967 Z/28
 
3 Attachment(s)
Automobile crunched some numbers and put together a couple of photos between the 2014 Z/28 and the first Z/28, the 1967 Camaro Z/28.


Attachment 568683


Attachment 568681

Attachment 568682

The Stig 10-25-2013 03:03 PM

Well I have a new desktop background :headbang:

side note - are the 2014 Z/28 power numbers actual or estimate?

2cnd chance 10-25-2013 03:16 PM

Cool! The 67' looks like a little toy in comparison. I've always loved the 1Gen, however now the 5Gen just blows it away (in looks and performance).

AlohaBR 10-25-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 7126254)
Well I have a new desktop background :headbang:

side note - are the 2014 Z/28 power numbers actual or estimate?

Ditto:)

Doc 10-25-2013 03:25 PM

Only problem with this photo comparison is they have a 1967 RS Rally Sport; not a Z/28.

bowtie67 10-25-2013 03:50 PM

Are you sure, in '67 the car was not identified anywhere that it is a Z/28.

blazzin1 10-25-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7126329)
Only problem with this photo comparison is they have a 1967 RS Rally Sport; not a Z/28.

Do you say that just because of the emblems? Early '67 Z's did not come with any Z/28 badging. Or is there something else you're spotting?

Edit: I think bowtie67 is correct, even the early '68 Z's didn't have Z/28 emblems.

Thrillz 10-25-2013 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love the new Z28 its sick but the price of it makes me chuckle. That's corvette type money. In Canada dealers will be looking to get 80k for this vehicle which imho insane.

Attachment 568703

90503 10-25-2013 03:56 PM

...Maybe '67 Z/28s were non-RS cars....?????

blazzin1 10-25-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 7126429)
...Maybe '67 Z/28s were non-RS cars....?????

No, you could still order a '67 Z/28 RS (which would only be "badged" as a RS....as pictured). They are extremely rare cars!!! I'd take that '67 over the new one....just based on collector value.

If I remember correctly, the '67 Z did not have any Z/28 or 302 badging. And the very early production '68 Z's only had "302" on the front fender. They didn't start applying the Z/28 emblems until Jan 68.

Bhobbs 10-25-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrillz (Post 7126425)
Love the new Z28 its sick but the price of it makes me chuckle. That's corvette type money. In Canada dealers will be looking to get 80k for this vehicle which imho insane.

Attachment 568703

And you are getting extreme performance for the money.

90503 10-25-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 7126432)
No, you could still order a '67 Z/28 RS (which would only be "badged" as a RS....as pictured). They are extremely rare cars!!! I'd take that '67 over the new one....just based on collector value.

If I remember correctly, the '67 Z did not have any Z/28 or 302 badging. And the very early production '68 Z's only had "302" on the front fender. They didn't start applying the Z/28 emblems until Jan 68.

Well, then for tradition's sake, they shouldn't badge these '14s then for a while either...lol....

Doc 10-25-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtie67 (Post 7126408)
Are you sure, in '67 the car was not identified anywhere that it is a Z/28.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 7126415)
Do you say that just because of the emblems? Early '67 Z's did not come with any Z/28 badging. Or is there something else you're spotting?

Edit: I think bowtie67 is correct, even the early '68 Z's didn't have Z/28 emblems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 7126429)
...Maybe '67 Z/28s were non-RS cars....?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 7126432)
No, you could still order a '67 Z/28 RS (which would only be "badged" as a RS....as pictured). They are extremely rare cars!!! I'd take that '67 over the new one....just based on collector value.

If I remember correctly, the '67 Z did not have any Z/28 or 302 badging. And the very early production '68 Z's only had "302" on the front fender. They didn't start applying the Z/28 emblems until Jan 68.

I don't remember them having any badging on them, but apparently the prototype car introduced at Riverside Raceway in 1966 did in fact have RS badges on it. It must have been an extremely rare option because I don't remember ever seeing one and I lived near Riverside Raceway back then and was out there often watching races. We'd see all kinds of stuff running around on the streets in Pomona and Ontario back in those days. The Z/28 was a sleeper because it (usually) DIDN'T have any badges so people would think it was just the base model with no upgrades. They found out how wrong they were only after the light turned green lol.

Here's a link with some interesting back-story:

http://www.67z28.com/history.htm

chef-beavis 10-25-2013 04:33 PM

:thumbsup:The car in the photos is the 67 that GM owns and trotted out at Milford a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's legit.The plate said "RARE Z" or something along those lines.

LAWMAN 10-25-2013 04:36 PM

Love the 14' Z/28...wish I could afford one,or either the ZL1,

Doc 10-25-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef-beavis (Post 7126527)
:thumbsup:The car in the photos is the 67 that GM owns and trotted out at Milford a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's legit.The plate said "RARE Z" or something along those lines.

Wow that must be the original shown at Riverside in 1966. Cool stuff!!!

radz28 10-25-2013 04:56 PM

Those are official power numbers if I remember correctly. I remember torque was up over Z06.

DGthe3 10-25-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 7126254)
Well I have a new desktop background :headbang:

side note - are the 2014 Z/28 power numbers actual or estimate?

Power numbers were released at the same time as the ring video. 505 hp, 481 ft-lbs.

2cnd chance 10-25-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrillz (Post 7126425)
Love the new Z28 its sick but the price of it makes me chuckle. That's corvette type money. In Canada dealers will be looking to get 80k for this vehicle which imho insane.

Attachment 568703

Thats a loaded 14's price. A loaded 1Gen could see $5K Compare that to cars of the 60's, not inexpensive.

AZCamaroFan 10-25-2013 06:55 PM

that 67' does have Rally Stripes which were used on the Z/28 and a front air dam, although I don't think that was standard on 67's. I have also seen 67's without a rear spoiler.

67's did not have any badging. 68's had 302 badges for half the model year and then switched to Z/28 badges.
There were 67's built with the RS option and they did have the badging too.
funny in all those dimensions they give they did not give tire and wheel sizes.

ZL1-V 10-25-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7126506)
I don't remember them having any badging on them, but apparently the prototype car introduced at Riverside Raceway in 1966 did in fact have RS badges on it. It must have been an extremely rare option because I don't remember ever seeing one and I lived near Riverside Raceway back then and was out there often watching races. We'd see all kinds of stuff running around on the streets in Pomona and Ontario back in those days. The Z/28 was a sleeper because it (usually) DIDN'T have any badges so people would think it was just the base model with no upgrades. They found out how wrong they were only after the light turned green lol.

Here's a link with some interesting back-story:

http://www.67z28.com/history.htm


I unfortunately owned a Triumph TR-7 back in the day. :thumbdown: But for fun when it ran well and didn't overheat I would drive from Pasadena to watch my friends race SCCA at Riverside International Raceway. I remember being at Riverside Raceway around 1978-79 and witnessed one walk the field in an A production SCCA race held there. I was in love with the sound of a Camaro V-8 engine after that. :confused0068:

AZCamaroFan 10-25-2013 07:12 PM

as a side note in the Trans Am series that those cars were made to homologate parts for, i'm not sure the 67 and 68s were even called Z/28's or Just "Camaros". I've seen pictures of the cars and Z/28 was no where to be seen on them. I have seen picture's of at least 1 Penske 69' that did have Z28 painted at the front of the fender.

DGthe3 10-25-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan (Post 7126947)
as a side note in the Trans Am series that those cars were made to homologate parts for, i'm not sure the 67 and 68s were even called Z/28's or Just "Camaros". I've seen pictures of the cars and Z/28 was no where to be seen on them. I have seen picture's of at least 1 Penske 69' that did have Z28 painted at the front of the fender.

Z/28 was initially just an RPO code, not a model name/trim designation so that would make sense. You didn't see Z/27 on SS cars afterall.

roorback 10-25-2013 07:30 PM

No competition imo, the 67 blows the new one away. 45 years later still a gorgeous ride. I don't see that being the case in 40 years looking back on the 14s.

*007 10-25-2013 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 7126457)
And you are getting extreme performance for the money.

For sure.... the hope it will perform in Z06 territory in a variety of venues across this country will soon be turned into talking points we all will enjoy READING about. We won't see too many of them on the street though.

"If you want a Z/28 with the performance you had in the 60's you can have it ... and it won't cost you any more of a price premium, matter of fact, it will cost less, and that's a promise"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.