Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sponsors Camaro Builds / Project Cars (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   V6 camaro rs want to kick a stock 5.0 a** (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326775)

45thAnniversary2SS 11-05-2013 06:49 PM

Ask Gretchen.

Forced Induction for sure and a little noz probably wouldn't hurt. You're going to need all you can get and them some and hope they are indeed stock.

Should be a lot of fun trying.

45thCAMARO 2SS/RS 11-05-2013 06:57 PM

Y didn't u just buy a v8?

jackscf16 11-05-2013 07:52 PM

45thAnniversary2SS, do you have any ballpark numbers, and turbo right. very little info on v6 camaros

jackscf16 11-05-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45thCAMARO 2SS/RS (Post 7160156)
Y didn't u just buy a v8?

is this the best starting point, and can you post a link to price these parts out, for the rs

HP Turbine 11-05-2013 08:17 PM

If you have an LFX than twin turbo.

midnighter 11-05-2013 08:18 PM

You can't, :sorry:

spyderbuddy 11-05-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnighter (Post 7160361)
You can't, :sorry:

You can't what? Beat a 5.0 Mustang, with the right kind of money You can.
I would Give an Mustang a hell of a Run with my Fiat Spyder. ABARTH Parts in A 2.0L, Red light to Red light I was hard to beat.

The only thing that beats cubic inches is Cubic MONEY

KMPrenger 11-05-2013 11:29 PM

You can beat a 5.0...but you have an LLT which makes it harder to do. It won't be easy. (mostly because of a lack of tuning options) The 2012 and up models have an LFX engine...pretty close to the LLT but with some updates and better tuning options and thus more options for power. A twin turbo on the LFX could woop a 5.0 for sure.

But you have an LLT. Because of that you only have two options.

1) Nitrous. There are a couple LLTs that have gone well into the 12s and even one that has gone into the high 11s at the quarter mile with a what I think was a 100 - 120 shot, a couple minor bolt ons (intake/exhaust) and Drag Radials on the rear, skinnies on the front. You'd have an great chance on wooping up on a stock 5.0 with that setup.

2) IPF supercharger. This is the only real option for forced induction on the LLT. You'll get somewhere between 425 to 475 crank horsepower depending on your other mods with this kit. It screams up top and you'd likely be able to run with or pull away from a stock 5.0 from a roll. The problem is that it doesn't make a lot of power in the lower part of the rpms, so if you went from a dig the 5.0 would still likely get you. Of course, again if you had sticky tires and such that makes a big difference. We've seen a V6 run as low as a 12.8 with just this kit installed an not much else but you should expect mid to low 13 second for an average run with this kit.

So there you have it. Thats your options.....or just get a V8 but even then thats no guarantee you'll beat the 5.0. You'll need mods to guarantee it...if well if the 5.0 is not stock then all bets go out the window.

lscamaro 11-06-2013 09:43 AM

If the 5.0 isn't stock or close to stock, two words for you... good luck.

If it is stock, it's still going to be hard to do mostly because you have a manual. Manual and big power tend to break things so chances are you'd have to either replace axles or hope they don't break if you spray from the line. If you go SC, you'll have to drive the hell out of your car if you want to win from a dig. The SC doesn't make a lot of low end torque so he'll get you out of the hole. At that point, your just praying that you have enough top end to beat him.

KMPrenger 11-06-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 7161666)
If the 5.0 isn't stock or close to stock, two words for you... good luck.

If it is stock, it's still going to be hard to do mostly because you have a manual. Manual and big power tend to break things so chances are you'd have to either replace axles or hope they don't break if you spray from the line. If you go SC, you'll have to drive the hell out of your car if you want to win from a dig. The SC doesn't make a lot of low end torque so he'll get you out of the hole. At that point, your just praying that you have enough top end to beat him.

Agree. The manual doesn't seem to want to hold up to nitrous or forced induction for long before you have to replace it. Yes...he would have to drive like a pro to pull off the win...unless of course the other guy can't drive at all either.

Sikoriko 11-06-2013 02:50 PM

And hope he was never on a track

jackscf16 11-18-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 7160999)
You can beat a 5.0...but you have an LLT which makes it harder to do. It won't be easy. (mostly because of a lack of tuning options) The 2012 and up models have an LFX engine...pretty close to the LLT but with some updates and better tuning options and thus more options for power. A twin turbo on the LFX could woop a 5.0 for sure.

But you have an LLT. Because of that you only have two options.

1) Nitrous. There are a couple LLTs that have gone well into the 12s and even one that has gone into the high 11s at the quarter mile with a what I think was a 100 - 120 shot, a couple minor bolt ons (intake/exhaust) and Drag Radials on the rear, skinnies on the front. You'd have an great chance on wooping up on a stock 5.0 with that setup.

2) IPF supercharger. This is the only real option for forced induction on the LLT. You'll get somewhere between 425 to 475 crank horsepower depending on your other mods with this kit. It screams up top and you'd likely be able to run with or pull away from a stock 5.0 from a roll. The problem is that it doesn't make a lot of power in the lower part of the rpms, so if you went from a dig the 5.0 would still likely get you. Of course, again if you had sticky tires and such that makes a big difference. We've seen a V6 run as low as a 12.8 with just this kit installed an not much else but you should expect mid to low 13 second for an average run with this kit.

So there you have it. Thats your options.....or just get a V8 but even then thats no guarantee you'll beat the 5.0. You'll need mods to guarantee it...if well if the 5.0 is not stock then all bets go out the window.


Thanks I will go talk to the local Car shops like "RMCR" and ask about tuning since that seems to be a real issue. Based on what he says I will know which route to go. 1 more question was that NAS wet or dry shot. huge difference in set up.

sycraft 11-18-2013 11:12 AM

beating a 5.0 can be done, I have done it. But it really comes down to the driver. I have the IPF and can do it, but I am heavily modded as well. Hell, I've even beat a ZL1. but driver error was in play, but a win is a win....

RubyCamaro 11-21-2013 09:55 PM

I heard that! Congrats on the wins! I beat me a ZL1 too but it was bracket racing & he was dumb & broke out. Still.................a win is a win! I have had fun beating a few GT Mustangs along the way too - heads up racing!

Good luck OP.

scca02 11-24-2013 07:42 AM

2010 RS does GREAT at a Mustang club as a guest.
 
My Boss has a 2011 5.0 with exhaust and CAI putting out 460HP. My car(320HP) only has a Magnaflow single muffler and Injen CAI and ive never did any drag racing with it yet on a track. We were invited to run the DANA two mile test track with 45 degree banked corners in a drag style format staying in our own lanes at a TOLEDO MUSTANG CLUB event.Ive been on a few open track events over the years and have autocrossed for 15 years.He is strictly a drag raceer and street racer himself.I ended up passing him in the middle of turn one as I decided to take the far outside lane to carry more speed up top.IT WORKED PERFECTLY because he lifted going into the inbankment due to his inexperiance with this type of driving.I had such a big lead going into the second straightaway that he couldnt even come close to catching me.I was SOOOO happy that I didnt embarass myself infront of some of the cocky Mustang guys that were there.THEY were SHOCKED that I beat him as he is one of their long time members and they knew about his car he just traded his 2011 CAMARO V6 in on. I even ended up getting 3rd fastest speed around the roadcourse they had coned off around the facility in my group of other Mustangs. All in all it was a GREAT time and made me proud of my CAMARO to spank some Mustangs at their own event. :clap2:

Msmall143 11-24-2013 02:34 PM

First- define "beat"...track, strip....???
Second - sell the v6 and buy a v8, this will actaully be CHEAPER in the long run!

If you can't sell it and buy a v8, find a different competitor

You've got to make up 140hp or so and it's gonna cost you thousands! Then when you do catch up the 5.O can get a canned tune and a cai and be 40 hp ahead of you again

GretchenGotGrowl 11-25-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmall143 (Post 7212568)
First- define "beat"...track, strip....???
Second - sell the v6 and buy a v8, this will actaully be CHEAPER in the long run!

If you can't sell it and buy a v8, find a different competitor

You've got to make up 140hp or so and it's gonna cost you thousands! Then when you do catch up the 5.O can get a canned tune and a cai and be 40 hp ahead of you again

First, it also costs thousands to buy the V8. Second, it will be a unique car to have a v6 5th gen that can consistently beat the lighter 5.0.

stevey_frac 11-25-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 7214563)
First, it also costs thousands to buy the V8. Second, it will be a unique car to have a v6 5th gen that can consistently beat the lighter 5.0.

QFT. When I was looking to buy my car, even used, it was about $8k more to get the same car with a V8. That buys a lot of get up and go, especially when the V8 insurance was substantially higher, and the fuel economy was what.. 25% worse? That makes a big difference in a daily driver budget.

That $8k would buy you an IPF supercharger and a set of headers that would put you faster than a stock SS, and hopefully into 5.0 territory.

The other thing to consider doing, is getting a set of lighter weight rims and tires. A set of 19" Nurburgrings and some Michelin Pilot super sports will shed 80 lbs of rotating mass from the car and give you a lot more grip than the stock Pirelli's. That should make a substantial difference.

If you do go for it, makes sure you have fun with it!

GretchenGotGrowl 11-25-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt (Post 7215029)
Just curious? About how much do you think you have in your build total? Reason I ask is I had about 27K into a SRT-4 that would trap almost 122 thru the 1/4. so cheaper cars can be made to perform with the V8s.

I am probably at about the price of a ZL1. What's made it expensive is we have to develop just about everything from scratch because there is no aftermarket.

It is true, if you really want to go fast on a budget buy an old Chevy II or Fox Body and slap a big motor in it...you'll go fast for cheap. The hard part is making a streetable 5th Gen go fast...it takes some money and time.

Sikoriko 12-05-2013 04:48 PM

But to say to a Mustang owner. it's a V6, the look on his face would be pricelessss. Win or just to come close.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.