Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Steering wheel alignment off (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34293)

Dynabyte 07-26-2009 06:32 PM

Steering wheel alignment off
 
3 Attachment(s)
So I really love this car and maybe it's making me extra picky. I've noticed that the steering wheel alignment is a little off - the distance from my left shoulder is farther than my right. The wheel is not perpendicular to the centerline of the car. I thought it might just be in my head, perhaps the alignment of the gauges. An experiment was in order. I strung twine from both sides of the car, with both ends the exact same distance from the weatherstrip at the far front of the door (approx 7-1/14"). Just as I thought, the left side has a 1/2" gap where the right side is flush with the string.

Maybe it's supposed to be this way. The engineers may have been thinking of giving more room to the left arm as many may drive single-hand with it. Has anyone here noticed the same thing, and is this normal? Never noticed it with other vehicles...

Indpowr 07-26-2009 06:47 PM

Maybe your string is off. :)

Or stop driving with your knee pushing it up. :)

Dynabyte 07-27-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indpowr (Post 724899)
Maybe your string is off. :)

Or stop driving with your knee pushing it up. :)

Lol :laugh: I quadruple checked tho - btw, not to hijack my own thread, but nice seats! Once the stars align, I'll be contacting you for some goodies :D

Indpowr 07-27-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynabyte (Post 725961)
Lol :laugh: I quadruple checked tho - btw, not to hijack my own thread, but nice seats! Once the stars align, I'll be contacting you for some goodies :D

Thanks...No worries, take your time. You could also get a new steering wheel from us and then have your local dealership install it straight.. ;)

Gentry78 07-27-2009 02:26 AM

haha i was about to say maybe your arm is longer than the other lol but then i saw the pic kinda odd

do you feel any wobble when turning lock to lock

Dynabyte 07-27-2009 01:10 PM

Nope, there's no wobble lock to lock. The wheel is perpendicular to the column. The column itself is shifted a little to the left it appears. Up/down & in/out telescoping work fine. There's no left/right movement either with the wheel locked or when adjusting. It's as though the other end of the steering column is hooked up in the wrong spot (too far to the right). Anyone else notice it?

mlee 07-27-2009 01:13 PM

Nothing an adjustment on the front end alignment machine won't take care of. Take it to your dealer. It's a quick fix.

coolman 07-27-2009 01:20 PM

Wow! I thought I was picky. Are you a machincest or something. I once had a machincest tell me he could see with his bare eye down to .001 th of an inch.

CamaroSkooter 07-27-2009 01:46 PM

^^ machinist

Dynabyte 07-27-2009 02:32 PM

Lol, nope, not a machinist but I am an engineer. If it was a small amount I probably wouldn't have noticed it but the right hand side of the wheel is 1/2" closer to me than the left side. I'll have the dealer check it out and see if there's an adjustment on the other end of the assembly when I bring it in.

OldTimer 07-27-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynabyte (Post 727525)
Lol, nope, not a machinist but I am an engineer. If it was a small amount I probably wouldn't have noticed it but the right hand side of the wheel is 1/2" closer to me than the left side. I'll have the dealer check it out and see if there's an adjustment on the other end of the assembly when I bring it in.


Not that this will make you feel any better, but, mine is the exact same way. It feels like the entire steering wheel is slanted to your left when driving. Hasn't bugged me enought to say or do anything about it, but, since I saw this I thought I would let you know I think it might be the way all camaro's are built.

CamaroSkooter 07-27-2009 05:13 PM

Here's something that I was thinking about...

When you rotate the wheel 1/4 turn, half turn, 3/4 turn, and full turn, is it still off?

Dynabyte 07-27-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter (Post 728147)
Here's something that I was thinking about...

When you rotate the wheel 1/4 turn, half turn, 3/4 turn, and full turn, is it still off?

Yes it is - the wheel is perpendicular to the column. The column is mis-aligned to the centerline of the car.

Dynabyte 07-27-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTimer (Post 728049)
Not that this will make you feel any better, but, mine is the exact same way. It feels like the entire steering wheel is slanted to your left when driving. Hasn't bugged me enought to say or do anything about it, but, since I saw this I thought I would let you know I think it might be the way all camaro's are built.

Thanks for the confirmation :) I had a feeling that it might be just the way it is.

Gentry78 07-28-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynabyte (Post 727234)
Nope, there's no wobble lock to lock. The wheel is perpendicular to the column. The column itself is shifted a little to the left it appears. Up/down & in/out telescoping work fine. There's no left/right movement either with the wheel locked or when adjusting. It's as though the other end of the steering column is hooked up in the wrong spot (too far to the right). Anyone else notice it?

:thumbsup: well thats good

maybe they can adjust it under the dash where it bolts up :iono:


you gonna make me go and check my other cars today :laugh: :facepalm:

gmag21 07-28-2009 11:38 PM

Yikes

69 Hugger 07-29-2009 12:01 AM

How about the gaps between the back of the wheel and back part of the colume where the blinkers mount, do those gaps show the 1/2 inch or are the consistent Lside to Rside. good luck


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.