Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Best Yet: Comparison: Camaro Z/28 vs. 911 Turbo S vs. GT-R Track Edition (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349454)

Zfatuated 03-26-2014 07:53 AM

Best Yet: Comparison: Camaro Z/28 vs. 911 Turbo S vs. GT-R Track Edition
 
Love it: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

"But it's not just a name-brand collection of parts, and the Z/28 is no tuner. It stands as one of absolutely the best track-focused cars in the world. A Camaro engineer ran around the Nürburgring Nordschleife (where the Z/28 was developed) in 7:37.47 in the rain. In dry conditions? "About neck and neck with the GT3," as Oppenheiser tells it. That's a 7:25 lap.""

x1sniper3x 03-26-2014 08:12 AM

Extremely impressive. Bravo to Chevrolet and the Camaro team, The Z/28 is a homerun :clap2::clap2::hail::hail::clap::clap:

shaffe 03-26-2014 08:16 AM

that was a great article! I like the little twist they had about half way though haha. Very impressive team Camaro.

Cant wait to see what the Camaro does at laguna seca

DRKS1D3 03-26-2014 09:21 AM

Great article! :w00t:

Col. Brain 03-26-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zfatuated (Post 7526621)
Love it: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

"But it's not just a name-brand collection of parts, and the Z/28 is no tuner. It stands as one of absolutely the best track-focused cars in the world. A Camaro engineer ran around the Nürburgring Nordschleife (where the Z/28 was developed) in 7:37.47 in the rain. In dry conditions? "About neck and neck with the GT3," as Oppenheiser tells it. That's a 7:25 lap.""


this is exactly what GM wanted. Their performance 4 seater car running with the world beaters.

I also thought i guessed high 7:20s for the ring in the "guess the ring time" thread 7:25 - nuts

Col. Brain 03-26-2014 09:48 AM

too bad someone could not have swapped a little cam in the Z/28 and let it loose again


close to 100hp is being left on the table by GM (although this is emissions)

jr2014ss 03-26-2014 09:55 AM

He called the Ss terrible car ....

AZCamaroFan 03-26-2014 10:06 AM

it makes me wonder if the Z/28 has a shot at Best Driver's Car. I wouldn't have thought a 5thgen Camaro would after the last two tries.

Orange Crush 1LE 03-26-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr2014ss (Post 7526919)
He called the Ss terrible car ....

If you've ever seen Leiberman before, he's the biggest media whore out there. He's all about stirring the pot, creating controversy, exaggeration.

Orange Crush 1LE 03-26-2014 12:34 PM

I've gotta say, I'm truly blown away. Bested a GT-R's lap time? I'm sold, I'm now officially a fan of the Z/28. Simply awesome! Makes me proud to be an American.

ModBargains.com 03-26-2014 12:47 PM

Really impressive stuff!

ParisTNDude 03-26-2014 12:53 PM

Awesome Camaro, but I don't think this is the ultimate comparo...bring on the C7 Stingray!!!

I'm pretty sure the "Maro" will run even better in warmer weather and Laguna Seca will be a great place to find out.

Bhobbs 03-26-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr2014ss (Post 7526919)
He called the Ss terrible car ....

He mentioned before that he slid off Willow Springs in an SS because of the handling. The truth is the SS doesn't handle well, which is why the 1LE package was produced.

Sapper12b 03-26-2014 12:54 PM

Love the article !

Zfatuated 03-26-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude (Post 7527499)
Awesome Camaro, but I don't think this is the ultimate comparo...bring on the C7 Stingray!!!

I'm pretty sure the "Maro" will run even better in warmer weather and Laguna Seca will be a great place to find out.

You are aware its already been noted that the Z/28 is faster on track than the new Stingray? I'll enjoy reading that Camaro Comparo as well, but the ultimate outcome is already known.

Orange Crush 1LE 03-26-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zfatuated (Post 7527530)
You are aware its already been noted that the Z/28 is faster on track than the new Stingray? I'll enjoy reading that Camaro Comparo as well, but the ultimate outcome is already known.

Can you point me to a test? I'm very curious and haven't run across a direct comparo between the C7 Z51 Vette and Z/28.

Zfatuated 03-26-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE (Post 7527555)
Can you point me to a test? I'm very curious and haven't run across a direct comparo between the C7 Z51 Vette and Z/28.

It was buried as a comment in one of the stories by a tester. I would think GM is not especially anxious to publicly pit the two against one another or give a lot of press to the outcome. The Z/28 guys would be fine with it, but the gold-chain geriatric crowd over at the Corvette Forum would lose what is left of their minds.

:D

Hey, I'm almost there myself age-wise so I can jest freely!

2cnd chance 03-26-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE (Post 7527555)
Can you point me to a test? I'm very curious and haven't run across a direct comparo between the C7 Z51 Vette and Z/28.

I don't know if there is an actual comparison. But it was mentioned that the C7 was behind the Z/28 in performance.

shaffe 03-26-2014 02:17 PM

^ just wait till the Z06 comes out, then it will tip back to the Corvette.

I can not wait to see what the Z/28 does on Laguna Seca. Maybe it bc I am more familiar with what is a fast lap there(or its my favorite track in forza lol)

brt3 03-26-2014 02:19 PM

All you need to know is right here. Look at the G numbers, then extrapolate from that how late the Z/28 brakes. It doesn't matter that the AWD cars spank the Z/28 in 0-100 numbers, not on the track. I can't emphasize enough how incredible this is. Team Z/28: we salute you for job WELL DONE!!! :thumbsup:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadte...Park-track.jpg

hognutz 03-26-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE (Post 7527451)
I've gotta say, I'm truly blown away. Bested a GT-R's lap time? I'm sold, I'm now officially a fan of the Z/28. Simply awesome! Makes me proud to be an American.

I am not suprised by that at all. I just wish it could stay in the same zip code in a drag race.

camaro is now on the 911 marketing scheme so so quarter mile with good handling.

brt3 03-26-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 7527752)
^ just wait till the Z06 comes out, then it will tip back to the Corvette.

I can not wait to see what the Z/28 does on Laguna Seca. Maybe it bc I am more familiar with what is a fast lap there(or its my favorite track in forza lol)

Ditto. I was glad to read that in the text and can't wait to read the results:

"The good news is that, this summer, the Z/28, the GT3, and the GT-R Nismo will all be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for our 2014 Best Driver's Car competition."

Josh_Trick 03-27-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr2014ss (Post 7526919)
He called the Ss terrible car ....

Yeah, and that's where I stopped reading. I used to read Motor Trend all the time, but I just can't stand them these days.

L99CAMA2011 03-27-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE (Post 7527451)
I've gotta say, I'm truly blown away. Bested a GT-R's lap time? I'm sold, I'm now officially a fan of the Z/28. Simply awesome! Makes me proud to be an American.

Funny how you are a fan of a car that probably would get whipped by your current 1LE :thumb:.

Forte 03-27-2014 01:14 PM

LOL @ those offended by his remarks of the SS. Now you know how it feels when someone says something about a V6, no matter how true it is. Just saying.

Great read, very shocked at how well it performed against those vehicles. Great job Camaro team!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.