Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   NEW Driveshaft shop High output axles! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41809)

IPS Brandon 09-10-2009 01:59 PM

NEW Driveshaft shop High output axles!

Having worked along with the driveshaft shop guys for a while now, and using their products in our 160 mph+ 1/4mi C6Z, there shafts just don't break!

They recently just released a level 5 axles for the 2010 and up cars, and it couldn't have come any sooner, with all the reports of heads/cam, spray, blower, turbo car breaking the axles ect.

So check it out
"Description:The Level 5 axles for the new Camaro SS are designed to handle up to 1000HP. Using our chromoly center bars, 108mm Porsche-style CV's and bolt-on chromoly inner and outer stubs, these are a direct bolt-on that fit the stock hubs and come complete with all the necessary hardware. Not only will these axles handle the horsepower, we have used different diameter chromoly axle bars on each side which will eliminate wheelhop. Wheelhop at launch which can be extremely damaging to the drivetrain and makes getting traction very difficult. By allowing the axle bars to torsionally twist at different rates the result is traction, not wheelhop. These axles are priced as a set and have a 1-year warranty"

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/produc...ME26XaByHJ.jpg

Feel free to ask questions and we will do our best to answer them asap.

Regards
-Brandon

Kyle2k 09-10-2009 02:03 PM

Damn those are expensive

jpsuperman81 09-10-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 906058)
Damn those are expensive

Not in the grand scheme of things, if someone has spent the money to get their car anywhere near 1000hp then this would be just another expense.

Kyle2k 09-10-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 (Post 906117)
Not in the grand scheme of things, if someone has spent the money to get their car anywhere near 1000hp then this would be just another expense.

Yes but if your one of those people pushing 600 and still breaking things...it kind of sucks...

boostedyards86 09-10-2009 05:15 PM

gotta pay to play. running with the big boys is never cheap.

speedster 09-10-2009 07:29 PM

Cool stuff Brandon...

Nice axles.

1BadaSS 09-10-2009 08:18 PM

I can see these going into a lot of cars in the near future with all these cars shafts/axles going out!

IPS Brandon 09-15-2009 10:11 AM

After we snapped two axles and a drive shaft in just one car, we figured we should work on a solution! We are offering free shipping to help a little, but these axles just use expensive components that will yield great strength and reliability!

-Brandon

Hylton 09-15-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 906058)
Damn those are expensive

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=702

Hylton 09-15-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedyards86 (Post 906808)
gotta pay to play. running with the big boys is never cheap.

Sure but you shouldn't have to get raped. $1,800+ for a set and I still want them...:facepalm:

PoleCat2SSRS2010 09-15-2009 11:03 PM

This subject has everything in it and it is the result of what some have been concerned with from the onset. Now we are finding out that even with the non-modded engines that the current axle design is causing wheel hop (as always suspected and known) which causes the CV boot to come loose and then the grease and then the joint failure. If the IPS design is truely sound it will cure the ailment but the other contraversy not yet mentioned here is the instant loss of any drivetrain warranty from GM since this is a non GM part. Truely the definition of mixed emotions.
The other thing to consider, IF one is lucky enough to get GM to warrant a replacement, it will most likely be the same part or slightly bigger and that person will most likely be going back more times for the same thing.

Had I known and if it were even possible, I would have negotiated OUT the warranty cost all together and just take the 90 day mandatory and leave the rest to my own accord. But that was not an option. grrrrrr.

mtcwby 09-16-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 (Post 928857)
This subject has everything in it and it is the result of what some have been concerned with from the onset. Now we are finding out that even with the non-modded engines that the current axle design is causing wheel hop (as always suspected and known) which causes the CV boot to come loose and then the grease and then the joint failure.

Just to clarify things, The cv boot doesn't come loose first.
The joint fails first, causing the pieces to fly apart, which blows the boot off, resulting in grease all over the place. If the boot came off first it would take quite a while before the joint failed, usually in this scenario you would hear the joint making all kinds of noise as the grease washes away from the joint. Which would take quite a few days of driving.

IPS Brandon 09-16-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 (Post 928857)
This subject has everything in it and it is the result of what some have been concerned with from the onset. Now we are finding out that even with the non-modded engines that the current axle design is causing wheel hop (as always suspected and known) which causes the CV boot to come loose and then the grease and then the joint failure. If the IPS design is truely sound it will cure the ailment but the other contraversy not yet mentioned here is the instant loss of any drivetrain warranty from GM since this is a non GM part. Truely the definition of mixed emotions.
The other thing to consider, IF one is lucky enough to get GM to warrant a replacement, it will most likely be the same part or slightly bigger and that person will most likely be going back more times for the same thing.

Had I known and if it were even possible, I would have negotiated OUT the warranty cost all together and just take the 90 day mandatory and leave the rest to my own accord. But that was not an option. grrrrrr.

Honestly if the axles break over and over, warranty is not really a concern, its just frustration at that point, and I agree with you about the 90 day warranty.

These axles are very similar in design to others we have used, they will hold up as good as anything available currently.

Regards

the rich dude 09-16-2009 07:09 PM

looks good. I'll more than likely be grabbing a set of these for my soon to be everyday driven Procharged Camaro. I like things bullet proof. Not half @$$ed.

Since you guys obviously play with allot of Camaros and vettes. Once these axles are replaced, how is the rest of the camaro diff strength wise?

What about the stock driveshaft? Should that be replaced as well? Carbon Fibre or aluminum for a replacement? Thanks....

IPS Brandon 09-17-2009 08:52 AM

The camaro diff itself we haven't had trouble yet, and we are racing weekly a 630 wheel prochargerd car like your build. We have however snaps the bolts that hold the rubber carrier to the rear diff and driveshaft. We are working on some sort of option here, but nothing yet, and honestly we not sure just yet if this is going to be a common problem like the axles yet.

Regards

the rich dude 09-17-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPS Brandon (Post 934942)
The camaro diff itself we haven't had trouble yet, and we are racing weekly a 630 wheel prochargerd car like your build. We have however snaps the bolts that hold the rubber carrier to the rear diff and driveshaft. We are working on some sort of option here, but nothing yet, and honestly we not sure just yet if this is going to be a common problem like the axles yet.

Regards

Cool, thanks. Keep me posted, I'd appreciate it!:w00t:

PoleCat2SSRS2010 09-17-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtcwby (Post 929127)
Just to clarify things, The cv boot doesn't come loose first.
The joint fails first, causing the pieces to fly apart, which blows the boot off, resulting in grease all over the place. If the boot came off first it would take quite a while before the joint failed, usually in this scenario you would hear the joint making all kinds of noise as the grease washes away from the joint. Which would take quite a few days of driving.

Thanks mtcwby....I think. It is good to know the correct pathophysiology to be preventative at best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPS Brandon (Post 929964)
Honestly if the axles break over and over, warranty is not really a concern, its just frustration at that point, and I agree with you about the 90 day warranty.

These axles are very similar in design to others we have used, they will hold up as good as anything available currently.

Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPS Brandon (Post 934942)

Regards

It is the frustration that we wish we all can avoid. I can't wait to hear about my inquiry. Glad you guys are on the front end of this and already working the bugs.

SShift 09-19-2009 09:55 AM

Still cheaper than a 12 bolt for a 4th gen.

camaro5 09-19-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Not only will these axles handle the horsepower, we have used different diameter chromoly axle bars on each side which will eliminate wheelhop.

Wheelhop at launch which can be extremely damaging to the drivetrain and makes getting traction very difficult.

The factory Camaro axles are made with different diameter axle bars, but the spline diameter is the same on both sides.

We have seen this before on stock axles such as those found in the Mustang Cobra, where the large diameter axle bar will taper down to a spline that is half the diameter.

This transition creates a weak point on the axle bar that cannot withstand increased horsepower.

Or even stock horsepower under certain conditions it seems.

So I need $2500 w/ installation axles, and a beefier TR 6060 output shaft.

Or just never smoke the tires.

Of course, GM will jump at the opportunity to void your warranty for these pieces as well.

:bs: