Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sports Car???? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42865)

Eduk8r 09-16-2009 08:54 PM

Sports Car????
 
I am new here and have not got to read a lot of the threads, but caught one last night from a member who was going to sell his Camaro because it was not the sports car he expected. It go t me to thinking howmany people think of it as a sports car? Have heard it called that, but never considered it to be. I always thought of it as a muscle car.

levi1922 09-16-2009 08:59 PM

i dont consider it a muscle car, mainly because it is new. to me muscle cars are low 80's and older, this is just my opinion. i do think its closer than the 4th gens to a muscle car, mainly because it has design cues from one of the best muscle cars.

omegaman 09-16-2009 09:01 PM

I also consider it a muscle car, or maybe in very specialized class called pony cars. Not a sports car in the purist sense.

GreyGhost 09-16-2009 09:04 PM

Sport coupe, modern muscle maybe...but not a sports car to me. The Miata, Z4, even the Skye are more of sports cars than the Camaro. Then of course the Corvette, Ferrari and Lamorghini.

The_Blur 09-16-2009 09:07 PM

It could not be more of a sports car. It races, and it beats other sports cars. What else would you call it? Muscle cars and pony cars are both categories of competitive sports cars.

SoFlaZ 09-16-2009 09:10 PM

I just consider it a performance car. I guess you cant exactly say it's a true sports car (if you define one as a 2dr super small super light, high hp/lb, rear drive car) but it is a sporty car with the potential to do things true sports cars do. The main thing to do with all this hp is to perform. Whether it be on a dragstrip or a circuit track.

bluedevil02 09-16-2009 09:13 PM

i like to think of it as a ricer...jp id have to say sports car

Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 09-16-2009 09:16 PM

I consider the Camaro a muscle car not a so called sports car. A sports car would be like a Corvette or a Viper. Camaro's are a muscle car and they will always be called that ever since they came out in '67. You can call it a modern day muscle car like the Mustang and the Challenger I also consider them modern day muscle with better fuel economy.

CamaroFemme 09-16-2009 09:17 PM

I've always heard it called a sports car, but then I looked up for myself the definition of a sports car, muscle car, and pony car. I consider it a muscle car and a pony car, but I think most of the world considers those terms to be a sub-genre of the phrase "sports car..."

PQ 09-16-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 932941)
It could not be more of a sports car. It races, and it beats other sports cars. What else would you call it? Muscle cars and pony cars are both categories of competitive sports cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFemme (Post 933015)
I've always heard it called a sports car, but then I looked up for myself the definition of a sports car, muscle car, and pony car. I consider it a muscle car and a pony car, but I think most of the world considers those terms to be a sub-genre of the phrase "sports car..."

:word::word::word:

This is a sports car. Just like only a few others. Muscle is HP. That's WHY they were considered 'Muscle Cars' But like Blur said, it races and beats other sports cars.

It's a sports car. Personaly, I call it a muscle car to pay homage to the reason we have it.

The_Blur 09-16-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 932966)
I just consider it a performance car. I guess you cant exactly say it's a true sports car (if you define one as a 2dr super small super light, high hp/lb, rear drive car) but it is a sporty car with the potential to do things true sports cars do. The main thing to do with all this hp is to perform. Whether it be on a dragstrip or a circuit track.

You're putting too many definitions into what makes a sports car. For instance, you're saying that a sports car needs to be light. How do you define light? Is it less than 2000 lbs, because that measure is hard to match for most cars. Consider the 2006 Lamborghini Murcielago, a car that weighs 3,637 lbs. Not many people would argue that this car is an exotic sports car, but when you indicate that it has to be light, you're suggesting that it has to be lighter than the Camaro, which you don't call a sports car. That being said, the Mustang GT would fit into whatever weight category with the Murcielago, but the Camaro is a mere 200 lbs above that category. Despite this, the Camaro and Mustang are direct competitors, making them more likely foes that the Mustang and a Murcielago.

You also assume that a sports car has 2 doors, but the M5 is a recognized sports sedan, and you can't argue that the CTS-V is anything less than dominating in sports brackets with that LSA under the hood.

In summary, all that matters in a sports car is that sporty performance and appearance are important. There are different kinds of sports cars, but to deny a competitive car a place among sports cars would be nothing less than sacrilege to a great machine.

Scott@Bjorn3D 09-16-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 933059)
:word::word::word:

This is a sports car. Just like only a few others. Muscle is HP. That's WHY they were considered 'Muscle Cars' But like Blur said, it races and beats other sports cars.

It's a sports car. Personaly, I call it a muscle car to pay homage to the reason we have it.

And if Randy is lucky his wife will not beat him anymore in his car.

Rocky918 09-16-2009 09:28 PM

it is NOT a sports car... it is a MUSCLE car... a sports car would be the corvette .... theres a difference

Sinergy 09-16-2009 09:33 PM

I consider it a hybrid of both.

kga10734 09-16-2009 09:36 PM

Technically it's a sport coupe. You will not find a automobile classification of a muscle car or pony car listed anywhere as far as I know on places like a manufactures website, Kelly Blue Book, your local tax office or places of that nature.

Muscle car and pony car are more or less nicknames given to these types of cars.

I could be wrong but this is my understanding of it all.

surfaholic 09-16-2009 09:36 PM

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ICANMUSCLE.jpg

Consider it american muscle!!! :headbang:


http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,474524,00.html

MontyCarlo 09-16-2009 09:47 PM

If a car's main purpose is to go "Vroom," I call it a sports car. No need to be picky.

Rocky918 09-16-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyCarlo (Post 933237)
If a car's main purpose is to go "Vroom," I call it a sports car. No need to be picky.

what about trucks like f150 ... they are built to go vroom through rougher terrain... sports truck then?

OUR72GTO 09-16-2009 09:53 PM

The creator calls it the " 21st century SPORTS CAR. "

GM calls it a sports car so that is what it is.:facepalm:

DDustiNN 09-16-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinergy (Post 933149)
I consider it a hybrid of both.

It's a sporty muscle car. Or a muscular sports car. But just plain awesome either way, so who cares about a label? It's a CAMARO :D

ffrcobra_65 09-16-2009 10:18 PM

I think, to be considered a muscle car, it has to have a bloodline from the 60's and early 70's AND has to be American! I certainly consider the camaro an American Muscle Car. I consider the 911, M3, 240z-370z, Ferrari, Lambo, etal, sportscars.

Mr. Wyndham 09-16-2009 10:47 PM

I totally consider it to be a sports car through and through. Though I would also call it "neo-muscle". :thumbsup:

SoFlaZ 09-16-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 933073)
You're putting too many definitions into what makes a sports car. For instance, you're saying that a sports car needs to be light. How do you define light? Is it less than 2000 lbs, because that measure is hard to match for most cars. Consider the 2006 Lamborghini Murcielago, a car that weighs 3,637 lbs. Not many people would argue that this car is an exotic sports car, but when you indicate that it has to be light, you're suggesting that it has to be lighter than the Camaro, which you don't call a sports car. That being said, the Mustang GT would fit into whatever weight category with the Murcielago, but the Camaro is a mere 200 lbs above that category. Despite this, the Camaro and Mustang are direct competitors, making them more likely foes that the Mustang and a Murcielago.

You also assume that a sports car has 2 doors, but the M5 is a recognized sports sedan, and you can't argue that the CTS-V is anything less than dominating in sports brackets with that LSA under the hood.

In summary, all that matters in a sports car is that sporty performance and appearance are important. There are different kinds of sports cars, but to deny a competitive car a place among sports cars would be nothing less than sacrilege to a great machine.

I may have said all that but I just believe there are too many different categories cars can be in. I didnt mean to make my definition of a sports car so specific, but some people hardly consider it a sports car because they think its really a muscle car, a pony car or, insert new name here and only a corvette or a lambo is a sports car because it can pull 1g on the skidpad or whatever other reason.

Basically I believe all cars regardless of # of doors, size, etc. that are able to accelerate fast, are fun to drive, and well just flat out PERFORM can be considered a sports car and that includes the Camaro:chevy: since its just plain badass.

Revo1 09-17-2009 12:14 AM

It's a musclecar, plain and simple. This generation- of all those preceding it, most obviously has it's roots growing in plain sight. Even if you don't consider new cars to be "muscle" just have a look at a side-by-side with a first gen, and you'll see. Unmistakably a musclecar. Hell, I even consider my 4th gen a musclecar. Structure, heritage and attitude all make Camaro what it is, and those things haven't wavered a bit from 67 to 2002, and now in 2010 the muscle continues to flex! :headbang:

:chevy: :chevy: :chevy: :chevy: :chevy: :chevy: :chevy: :chevy: :chevy: :chevy: :chevy:

gtwss 09-17-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 933746)
I totally consider it to be a sports car through and through. Though I would also call it "neo-muscle". :thumbsup:

When I hear sports car, I think road racing. When I hear muscle car, I think drag racing. When I hear pony, just Mustang. When I hear "neo-muscle" maybe. The Camaro has always been "one of a kind" (in my book) and really needs a term of it's own. Any other ideas :iono: Like someone else said before, it's a CAMARO!!!!!! :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.