Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SS Camaro LS3 or L99? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439394)

shortstop4 02-07-2016 12:44 PM

SS Camaro LS3 or L99?

I am in the market for a weekend toy and will be purchasing an SS within the next 60 days. I am debating heavily on whether to go with the LS3 manual or L99 automatic. I had a 2011 Synergy Green L99 SS several years ago and I loved it, but I was thinking about changing to the LS3 manual since I will only be driving the SS on weekends (my daily driver is an automatic sedan).

I love the look of the Summit White 1LE's which push me towards the manual tranny, but I could always get the automatic and wrap the hood and change the wheels.

I have never owned a stick shift, but I have driven one a long time ago. I just think it might be more fun. What say the folks who have driven both the LS3 and L99?

scott's45 02-07-2016 12:48 PM

For me, there was never a question. I had to have the LS3, nothing like a v-8 and manual transmission. Mine is also a weekend toy, not a daily driver.

justjoshin 02-07-2016 12:50 PM

Drove a lot of manuals when I was younger and they can be fun to drive. I like my L99 and have no desire to have to shift thru the gears anymore. I'm only home 2 weeks each month and only take it out on nice days but I still like the auto trans.

Lndryguru 02-07-2016 12:52 PM

I like L99 no shifting if you want to play you have the paddle shifters, I installed cold airtake-shorty headers-diablo tuner-deleted the rear mufflers-installed strut tower brace the car runs strong and handles well i am satisfied with it.

mustang50lx 02-07-2016 01:15 PM

Manual trans. is my vote, and with that you get a few more horsepower too.

The Dutchman 02-07-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortstop4 (Post 8888202)
I am in the market for a weekend toy and will be purchasing an SS within the next 60 days. I am debating heavily on whether to go with the LS3 manual or L99 automatic. I had a 2011 Synergy Green L99 SS several years ago and I loved it, but I was thinking about changing to the LS3 manual since I will only be driving the SS on weekends (my daily driver is an automatic sedan).

I love the look of the Summit White 1LE's which push me towards the manual tranny, but I could always get the automatic and wrap the hood and change the wheels.

I have never owned a stick shift, but I have driven one a long time ago. I just think it might be more fun. What say the folks who have driven both the LS3 and L99?

Without a doubt. And way cooler.

NC_SS 02-07-2016 01:22 PM

The first SS I drove was an L99, and honestly stock for stock the LS3 feels like a different kind of monster

I was immediately head over heels for how much the LS3 could sit you back in your seat. I DD my LS3 so that should give you an idea at how easy it is to use this car on a daily basis.

WeflyhereSS 02-07-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lndryguru (Post 8888215)
I like L99 no shifting if you want to play you have the paddle shifters, I installed cold airtake-shorty headers-diablo tuner-deleted the rear mufflers-installed strut tower brace the car runs strong and handles well i am satisfied with it.

what he said !

justjoshin 02-07-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_SS (Post 8888266)
The first SS I drove was an L99, and honestly stock for stock the LS3 feels like a different kind of monster

I was immediately head over heels for how much the LS3 could sit you back in your seat. I DD my LS3 so that should give you an idea at how easy it is to use this car on a daily basis.

Very true, but a good tune on the L99 makes a world of difference. Either way you go, it's a win cause it is a Camaro :headbang:

ron123 02-07-2016 01:50 PM

Another angle ... if there is a louder exhaust on the car it sounds much better with a manual trans in my opinion. I've got the Dual-Mode NPP factory option and sounds real nice shifting up and down through the gears with the manual.
Although in most situations I accelerate faster in an automatic compared to when I do the shifting.

If you get the manual it is a good idea to install separate clutch master reservoir for about $40 and keep the fluid fresh if you plan on having the car for a long while.
Ron

Spec 02-07-2016 02:01 PM

Stick, these cars are so much fun. There was never any question in my mind. I've owned auto V8's... I've owned manual V8's. I decided never to go auto V8 again. Glad I did.

I don't race my car often. I bought the car partly because I wanted a fun ride. Stick vs. Auto - no question...

And don't let those auto guys tell you that you'll suffer through traffic and/or any bs like that. Complete nonsense - take it from a Socal native... you can actually make those commutes lots of fun as well, lol.

Time for it all to come back to you - get a manual V8 Camaro. :thumb:

rontammy0 02-07-2016 02:08 PM

Once the l99 has a good trans tune its a beast....ive driven everything over the years....manual...auto. Dont listen top those that have no idea about the l99 with a trans tune. This aint your grandads automatic anymore junior. 2 different opinions are going to generate some good posts.

krisprz2010camaross 02-07-2016 02:11 PM

If I could go back I probably would have gotten a manual tbh. When I first got my L99 I wasn't interested in stick, but after modding my car I feel like I wish I had more control sometimes. Even though paddle shifting is fun. Still got a ton of mods to do on my car. My dad just got a 2015 z/28 so I can at drive that sometimes lol

Yellow 1 02-07-2016 02:11 PM

LS3; +26 more horses and you actually feel a part of the car when changing up and down the gears, for heel and toe and a blip on the throttle when changing down for a tight bend it just feels 'right' - though if I did a lot of city driving I could see the attraction of an auto box.... Decisions, decisions......