Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weird situation/ question for you guys (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442037)

CamaroC-17 02-26-2016 07:16 PM

Weird situation/ question for you guys

Deleted this post guys for obvious reasons. She's in good shape.

13BRM2SSRS 02-26-2016 08:25 PM

Wow, your right about it being weird. Not sure how the buyer registered/insured the car without proof of ownership? How long ago did you sell it? Since its still in your name then it sounds like you would have the right to get it back. I would think you should be able to get a new title for it from the state. You may also want to see what condition the car is in now but it should be worth quite a bit more than the $1700 due. Not sure why someone spend that much and no it follow through, but since its not being claimed and would be deemed abandoned and auctioned, I would definitely reclaim it if possible. Be good to see it back with someone who will take care of it, good luck!

Homeless Man 02-26-2016 08:29 PM

Can you post more pics? I wanna do the ground effects with ZL1 bumper

CamaroC-17 02-26-2016 08:37 PM

Deleted

two_wheel_mayhem 02-26-2016 08:45 PM

It's you car, but a bill is owed, in my state I could order a duplicate title online in this situation and the new title would void all previous versions.

Basically he never registered the car in his name, people do it all the time. Then dropped it somewhere for repair and never picked it up. It could need work. The shop is putting a mechanics lien in it, part of that process is sending notices and attempting to contact the legal owner, giving interested parties a last chance to pay what is owed before they take ownership.

If you want to pay the bill you can claim the car. If you could care less, just ignore them you aren't liable for anything. A large portion of the bill will be storage charges.

DanielW 02-26-2016 08:52 PM

Do exactly what you said, contact a lawyer. Then let us know if you just "bought" your car back for $1700. Which if it ends up being legal, would be pretty killer.

two_wheel_mayhem 02-26-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielW (Post 8931100)
Do exactly what you said, contact a lawyer. Then let us know if you just "bought" your car back for $1700. Which if it ends up being legal, would be pretty killer.

It's legal, the only repercussions he could face would be the guy he sold it to finding him and will be really pissed off. He could be in jail or something, then you would be doing him a favor, he could buy his car back when he gets out.

EWade 02-26-2016 09:07 PM

A lawyer would probably tell you not to do it. You sold it to the guy two years ago and he didn't send in the title to register it in his state and have plates. No matter what happened to this guy you'd be better off steering clear of taking back your old car.

ghosted 02-26-2016 09:10 PM

Regardless of whether or not the buyer registered the car, the car still belong to him since he purchased it from you. The only way this would work was if the auto shop applied for an abandoned title, and then sold it to you afterwards. However, if they did that, they'd be able to sell the car for KBB value, and not just the repair bill, since if would be their car.

Rainbow1616 02-26-2016 09:14 PM

You were paid for this car, walk away its not yours.

CamaroC-17 02-26-2016 09:22 PM

Deleted

EWade 02-26-2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroC-17 (Post 8931152)
I feel the same way. I was paid for the car. However, if the car is just going to be abandoned by the guy and auctioned off...and if I'm legally able to take the car back after paying the 1700...I feel like it's a deaI can't pass up.

You'll open yourself up to legal trouble, ask a lawyer. You did sell the car to the guy and he took it to a shop, and for some reason he can't be reached by this shop. Now here's the rub, that shop has the right to go after the guy for the bill, if they auction it off they will have to have the car a certain number of days before they can legally file for ownership if the guy doesn't come in to pay the bill and take the car. If you wait till they go through this, then you'd be able to bid on the car at auction, and might get it back but probably not for 1700. If you tried to pay the bill and take the car, you'd be looking at a possibility of the guy who bought it coming after you for theft. Best to let that shop do things and see it go to auction than have possible legal troubles.

Rusty35 02-26-2016 09:39 PM

I would be pissed!
The car is in your name and there is an out standing debt against it, your credit takes a hit.
If someone is driving the car and has an accident you are the one they contact.
You are still responsible for this car while it is in your name.:mad0260:

CamaroC-17 02-26-2016 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty35 (Post 8931175)
I would be pissed!
The car is in your name and there is an out standing debt against it, your credit takes a hit.
If someone is driving the car and has an accident you are the one they contact.
You are still responsible for this car while it is in your name.:mad0260:

Lol I like this guys angle! In all honesty I never wanted to sell the car. Baby number two came (now a 3rd otw) and the wife was pushing me to sell so we could get...gasp!... A van.. So when this popped up...my heart started hoping and wishing I could get it back. I can't afford to pay that actual value of the car.