Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Storing for Winter questions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44488)

joepitt 09-26-2009 12:21 PM

Storing for Winter questions

I'll be garaging my Camaro for the winter, November-March. I've never done that before. Is there anything special I should do. I'm planning on cover for use in the garage.

SSOOCH 09-26-2009 01:27 PM

If you're going to use a car cover and it's going to be inside the garage don't waste your money on a "weather proof" cover. The ones for inside use are much cheaper.

I'd disconnect the battery, put it on jack stands. There are also some big bags of Silica gel that you can put in side to keep the moisture down to a minimum.

I'd top it off with gas and also change the oil before you park her.

DEW 09-26-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepitt (Post 971419)
I'll be garaging my Camaro for the winter, November-March. I've never done that before. Is there anything special I should do. I'm planning on cover for use in the garage.

I will be doing the same thing. Ordered the Trigard cover from coverking http://www.southerncarparts.com/cove...ers-c-112.html Im just going to park it with a full tank and start it once a month,

RedJewelrsss32 09-26-2009 01:40 PM

I would use a fuel stabilizer. I plan on starting mine once a month as the battery will get drained on while setting.

67 Convertible 09-26-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedJewelrsss32 (Post 971575)
I would use a fuel stabilizer. I plan on starting mine once a month as the battery will get drained on while setting.

You'd be better off using a battery tender than starting it once a month. Starting it will do more harm than good, unless you get it up to operating temperature and actually drive it around for a while. There is no reason to start it until you're ready to drive it in the spring.

DEW 09-26-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Convertible (Post 971635)
You'd be better off using a battery tender than starting it once a month. Starting it will do more harm than good, unless you get it up to operating temperature and actually drive it around for a while. There is no reason to start it until you're ready to drive it in the spring.

Yes, your probably right. I do have a battery tender.

Merc 09-26-2009 02:43 PM

I assume your topping up tank to pervent rust on the inside of tank. However even if you put gas stabilizer in, your tank full of high test will be toast after a few months. Besides it looks like the Maro tank is plated .

oachalon 09-26-2009 03:59 PM

the camaro gas tank is plastic, so its not going to rust.

Merc 09-26-2009 04:15 PM

K That must have been a belly pan or something. Was to busy trying to fit 18" drag radials on for Street Legals. Yeah storing for several months with a full tank is not necessary in my opinion. Mine will be heading for storage in November as well.

ZED SLED 09-29-2009 01:40 PM

The '06 GTO I traded for the Camaro I stored in the garage every winter from Nov.-Apr. Washed, filled the tank, added fuel stabilizer, put on battery tender (Battery Sentinel Plus), covered with cheap indoor car cover. Cranked up every spring. Never had a an issue. Plan to do the Camaro the same way, except I might change the oil (only 730 miles so far in 2 months since delivery). One word of advice. Lower the rear seats in case of battery death, you can crawl through to pop the trunk.

SSOOCH 09-29-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclark10 (Post 982846)
Lower the rear seats in case of battery death, you can crawl through to pop the trunk.

Great tip!!