Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   silly question on Abs Throttle Position... (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44575)

scrming 09-26-2009 09:39 PM

silly question on Abs Throttle Position...

Ok... was goofing around today with my MSD Dashhawk... I noticed today when I go WOT the pedal position reads 100%, Commanded Throttle Position reads 100% BUT Absolute Throttle Position only read 82%...

Is that the ECU limiting how much power the LLT can make? I know no one has a tune out for the LLT... but would theoretically if we could get the throttle to open up more would the car make more power?

Sorry for the newbie question...

CatiaJockey 09-27-2009 09:28 AM

I can only speculate, but it might be that a WOT request is resolved by the computer analyzing the air density and flow rate and can only provide an 82% capacity in fuel to keep the fuel to air ratio in its optimum range. Not sure what a tune could do to change this, I'd really love to see the data tables this ECU works from.

E85LSX 09-27-2009 09:38 AM

That is a weird quirk in the cars computer, that 82% its showing is actually 100% like you want. Its pretty common on these GM computers, unfortunately there is not 18% more power hiding if you could just open the throttle more lol, I wish there was my SS would really be flying!

JohnForeman 09-27-2009 09:42 AM

we had this same issue on our 6.1 Hemi's. Come to find out the throttle butterfly was opening 100%. I can't remember what the details were regarding why the Dash Hawk was only showing ~80%

scrming 09-27-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E85LSX (Post 974364)
That is a weird quirk in the cars computer, that 82% its showing is actually 100% like you want. Its pretty common on these GM computers, unfortunately there is not 18% more power hiding if you could just open the throttle more lol, I wish there was my SS would really be flying!

Since the car uses a "Torque Based Management System"... does that mean the ECU has a set amount of torque the motor can make? I know there was talk about how this car would "de-tune" itself a bit as you added performance mods... wonder if I'm starting to see that? So does the ECU say you are making the maximum power at 82% Abs Throttle, sorry you can't have any more... ??? Wish I had data logged this when the car was stock! LOL

scrming 09-27-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnForeman (Post 974369)
we had this same issue on our 6.1 Hemi's. Come to find out the throttle butterfly was opening 100%. I can't remember what the details were regarding why the Dash Hawk was only showing ~80%

Ahhh... i'll have to check that out!

E85LSX 09-27-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 974384)
Since the car uses a "Torque Based Management System"... does that mean the ECU has a set amount of torque the motor can make? I know there was talk about how this car would "de-tune" itself a bit as you added performance mods... wonder if I'm starting to see that? So does the ECU say you are making the maximum power at 82% Abs Throttle, sorry you can't have any more... ??? Wish I had data logged this when the car was stock! LOL

Yes, usually under torque management there are limits set as to how much torque the car can make in each gear and the ECU can close the throttle too if these values are exceeded it can also pull spark cut fuel ect. ect. But like I said earlier that 82% its showing is really 100% its just how these computers work. If you search the Hp Tuners board there are threads about this with a good explanation that I can not remember lol

On my SS the max position it shows is 84% even though the TPS is at 100%. . . I have an idea though push the gas pedal through the floor to 118% TPS and see if the abs throttle goes up to 100%. Let me know the results of this experiment if you try it ;) if it works I'll just have to hit the GYM more lol