Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Al Oppenheiser on Z/28..... (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44781)

ShnOmac 09-28-2009 01:05 PM

Al Oppenheiser on Z/28.....

From Super Chevy magazine October '09.
I cant find the article on their website so I dont have a link.

Now I really have no Idea what to expect...... :facepalm:

SC:Now that the Camaro is in the showrooms and on the street, whatabout extending the model lieup with a cobertible, and possibly a Z/28 version? What would a Z/28 be like?

AO: The convertible has been announced, but it has been delayed until 2011. As far as a Z/28, or a performance version, we've had this debate internally many, many times. What would you call the performance version? A Z/28? A COPO? A Yenko? Would you bring back a nostalgic name, or not? Create a new one? The SS was always the big dog Camaro, not the Z/28. The first Z/28 was built just to get us into the racing circuit against the Mustang and all the other cars that were in that class. If you were going to take a Z/28 approach, you'd try to stay true to the RPO, build a car that you could drive daily on the street, take to the drag strip and do well, or take to the track and do well, which the original Z/28 did. Take some things out of it, get the mass down, use and existing small-block, maybe an ls7, an ls9. Make it a great performing car for the purist.

ljustin293 09-28-2009 01:07 PM

:popcorn:

ShnOmac 09-28-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljustin293 (Post 978406)
:popcorn:

Im with ya... I think thats all we can do!
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Number 3 09-28-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnomac77 (Post 978415)
Im with ya... I think thats all we can do!
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Isn't this fun, Shnomac?

ShnOmac 09-28-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 978420)
Isn't this fun, Shnomac?

No ..yall are seriously going to kill me... oh well at least I have popcorn :popcorn:
You guys enjoy torturing us dont ya?

:D

ShnOmac 09-28-2009 01:20 PM

I think my passion for the 5th Gen and its upcoming models and packages has turned into a very unhealthy obsession....... :facepalm:

1320junkie 09-28-2009 01:25 PM

lol

S8ER01Z 09-28-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnomac77 (Post 978403)

SC:Now that the Camaro is in the showrooms and on the street, whatabout extending the model lieup with a cobertible, and possibly a Z/28 version? What would a Z/28 be like?

AO: The convertible has been announced, but it has been delayed until 2011. As far as a Z/28, or a performance version, we've had this debate internally many, many times. What would you call the performance version? A Z/28? A COPO? A Yenko? Would you bring back a nostalgic name, or not? Create a new one? The SS was always the big dog Camaro, not the Z/28. The first Z/28 was built just to get us into the racing circuit against the Mustang and all the other cars that were in that class. If you were going to take a Z/28 approach, you'd try to stay true to the RPO, build a car that you could drive daily on the street, take to the drag strip and do well, or take to the track and do well, which the original Z/28 did. Take some things out of it, get the mass down, use and existing small-block, maybe an ls7, an ls9. Make it a great performing car for the purist.

:bow: Trim the fat and bring down the price so the people who don't want all the expensive features can get a no-nonsense car.

ShnOmac 09-28-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320junkie (Post 978465)
lol

Im glad the beginning of my demise makes you Lol..... :laugh:

99-LS1-SS 09-28-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnomac77 (Post 978446)
I think my passion for the 5th Gen and its upcoming models and packages has turned into a very unhealthy obsession....... :facepalm:

I am, officially, right there with you. :mad0259:

1320junkie 09-28-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnomac77 (Post 978478)
Im glad the beginning of my demise makes you Lol..... :laugh:

you are welcome..lol..if its not supercharged i will be a fan of it

Tactical Z 09-28-2009 01:48 PM

I have every right to post....

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnomac77 (Post 978446)

http://thecandyreport.files.wordpres...ssed_cover.jpg

:sm0:

ShnOmac 09-28-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactical Z (Post 978563)

:sm0:

I wold take a new Z/28 over her any day.......

UCI CamaroFan 09-28-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

:word:

This is why I don't think they should make the Z/28, but instead name it something else and not make too many.

99-LS1-SS 09-28-2009 02:08 PM

To me, it's irrelevant what they name it. It's the performance I'm after. They can call it the "Turtle Edition" and I'd still buy it.

S8ER01Z 09-28-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS (Post 978643)
To me, it's irrelevant what they name it. It's the performance I'm after. They can call it the "Turtle Edition" and I'd still buy it.

ZL1 would be perfect. :headbang:

Mr. Brownstone 09-28-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z (Post 978650)
ZL1 would be perfect. :headbang:

:word: X2

Chemical 09-28-2009 02:48 PM

Call it whatever you want. I want the LSA powered Camaro at a reasonable price $45K + or - 5K.

With mods, this thing would sky rocket in power.

99-LS1-SS 09-28-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemical (Post 978770)
Call it whatever you want. I want the LSA powered Camaro at a reasonable price $45K + or - 5K.

With mods, this thing would sky rocket in power.

EXACTLY! This is how I feel! :headbang:

ShnOmac 09-28-2009 02:58 PM

Im thinking there are two different Beasts coming our way......

DRK 09-28-2009 03:00 PM

Whether it's a stripped-down weekend warrior or an optioned-out high-powered cruiser (like the CTS-V), I'm buying one either way :D

But personally, I'd prefer it to be optioned out.

camaro5 09-28-2009 03:04 PM

Mmm...Popcorn! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I think the key phrase is here:

Quote:

you'd try to stay true to the RPO

Try or not - we know they were previously running an LSA in the same Camaro we all know and love.

It will be a 4100lb behemoth. Fast though...

The only way it is cost-effective, is to minimize changes to the current model.

Suspension, fascias, hood, and engine.

And of course, Z28 badges!

ShnOmac 09-28-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro5 (Post 978823)
Mmm...Popcorn! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I think the key phrase is here:
Try or not - we know they were previously running an LSA in the same Camaro we all know and love.

And of course, Z28 badges!

Hmmm but what if what they were running a LSA in was not the Z/28........

DGthe3 09-28-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

I would absolutely love to see that
Quote:

Originally Posted by shnomac77 (Post 978830)
Hmmm but what if what they were running a LSA in was not the Z/28........

Then that opens up a whole new can of worms

BoostedSS 09-28-2009 03:43 PM

If the Z28 does end up having a factory supercharger setup when it hits the lots I sure hope to god GM does the right thing and uses a forged shortblock. Factory blower with cast junk is a waste of money for what it costs to go forged in the first place. Personally if i was going to be in the market for one of these id rather pay an additional $1000 knowing that the bottom end can take anything I could throw at it.