Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Short Throw shifter + Install (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45134)

danrc28 09-30-2009 05:34 PM

Short Throw shifter + Install
 
as my first mod to my camaro I was thinking of throwing in a new Short throw shifter, I was comparing the only 4 i saw out there for the V6 (ripshift, mti, MGW and hurst) and wanted to get your opinions on which would be best and which company has the better rep (from my research i saw that people really liked the mti and the MGW looks promising).

Also I was wondering if it mattered to get the shifter installed at the dealership or if we could go to any car shop without voiding the warranty.

Thanks!!

subzero05 10-01-2009 12:31 AM

none will void the warranty. the hurst unit has alot of shifters out there now and many on this forum have been installing it and the feedback is excellent. not sure about the others? plus, hurst is a shifter company and thats all they do and have been around forever

blazzin1 10-01-2009 07:29 AM

I don't know much about the MTI, Ripshift, or MGW, other than what has been posted on this forum. But I did purchase and self-install the hurst unit in my car. I am very, very pleased with it. It has more throw reduction than the other shifters, and is easy to install. I am pretty sure you have to drop the tranny out to install all three of the other shifters, with the Hurst, you don't. It was a pretty easy install only took me about 2 hours in my garage (and I was taking it very slow). Besides, who can refuse that classic white ball and chromed "Hurst" stick, it looks great!!!! Like the previous post said, installing a shifter will NOT void your warranty, regardless of where it is installed. Get the Hurst, you will be very happy with it, and you can save some money and do the installation yourself. Hope this helps.

Later....

2SSRS@Gen5diy 10-01-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 990917)
I don't know much about the MTI, Ripshift, or MGW, other than what has been posted on this forum. But I did purchase and self-install the hurst unit in my car. I am very, very pleased with it. It has more throw reduction than the other shifters, and is easy to install. I am pretty sure you have to drop the tranny out to install all three of the other shifters, with the Hurst, you don't. It was a pretty easy install only took me about 2 hours in my garage (and I was taking it very slow). Besides, who can refuse that classic white ball and chromed "Hurst" stick, it looks great!!!! Like the previous post said, installing a shifter will NOT void your warranty, regardless of where it is installed. Get the Hurst, you will be very happy with it, and you can save some money and do the installation yourself. Hope this helps.

Later....

+1

MGW 10-01-2009 11:04 AM

you do not have to drop the tranny out to install the MGW unit but as stated not sure about the others. you only have to lower it slightly which takes all of literally 2 minutes to do. 4 bolts and you are done.


some key advantages of the MGW unit are...


its a COMPLETE replacement shifter not just the center shaft so it addresses several of the oem units shortcomings not just the short throw aspect.

mainly the "flex" that the stock unit has with the rubber mounting bracket in the back. the MGW unit replaces this bracket with a cnc machined bracket with hi temp poly bushings in them.

also the spring return to neutral in the stock unit is not strong enough. as you know or may not know, the STOCK unit does NOT have any internal springs it only relies on the spring back internal to the tranny. the MGW unit offers additional internal springs to make the 2-3 shift a no miss!!!

if you have a lift the install can easily be done yourself and even if you dont but have jack stands it can be done at home in your driveway or garage.

this saturday i have a gentleman coming from atlanta to do an install and we are going to video document the install step by step so it will really help you see whats involved. i think this install will be useful whether you buy the MGW Hurst or MTI unit.

regards
george

blazzin1 10-01-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGW (Post 991805)
you do not have to drop the tranny out to install the MGW unit but as stated not sure about the others. you only have to lower it slightly which takes all of literally 2 minutes to do. 4 bolts and you are done.


some key advantages of the MGW unit are...


its a COMPLETE replacement shifter not just the center shaft so it addresses several of the oem units shortcomings not just the short throw aspect.

mainly the "flex" that the stock unit has with the rubber mounting bracket in the back. the MGW unit replaces this bracket with a cnc machined bracket with hi temp poly bushings in them.

also the spring return to neutral in the stock unit is not strong enough. as you know or may not know, the STOCK unit does NOT have any internal springs it only relies on the spring back internal to the tranny. the MGW unit offers additional internal springs to make the 2-3 shift a no miss!!!

if you have a lift the install can easily be done yourself and even if you dont but have jack stands it can be done at home in your driveway or garage.

this saturday i have a gentleman coming from atlanta to do an install and we are going to video document the install step by step so it will really help you see whats involved. i think this install will be useful whether you buy the MGW Hurst or MTI unit.

regards
george

Good Info George,
I guess you don't have to drop out the tranny for the MGW shifter, sounds like the same process needed for the Hurst install. I'm sure that will influence many towards purchasing the MGW with its additional upgrades over the Hurst. As for me, I'm happy with my Hurst and don't really think it needs any additional "spring-back" to neutral. But then again, I'm not a hard-core racer either, so maybe there is a need out there, but I don't need it.
BTW, how much is the MGW???? (just curious)

MGW 10-01-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 992822)
Good Info George,
I guess you don't have to drop out the tranny for the MGW shifter, sounds like the same process needed for the Hurst install. I'm sure that will influence many towards purchasing the MGW with its additional upgrades over the Hurst. As for me, I'm happy with my Hurst and don't really think it needs any additional "spring-back" to neutral. But then again, I'm not a hard-core racer either, so maybe there is a need out there, but I don't need it.
BTW, how much is the MGW???? (just curious)

looks like it is going to be in the 375 range


george

danrc28 10-04-2009 03:22 PM

Nothing for the V6 yet tho?

2SSRS@Gen5diy 10-04-2009 03:25 PM

The hurst is for the V6 as will as the V8

RMGee 10-04-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzero05 (Post 990512)
none will void the warranty. the hurst unit has alot of shifters out there now and many on this forum have been installing it and the feedback is excellent. not sure about the others? plus, hurst is a shifter company and thats all they do and have been around forever

They do a lot more than shifters these days

Carlos Garza 10-04-2009 05:10 PM

I would love for the Hurst short shifter to be my first of many mods... Where can I buy it...?

lcmc 10-04-2009 05:24 PM

My mechanic installed my Hurst in 20 minutes with me bugging him and no directions. He didn't even have to loosen the crossmember like directions state.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 10-04-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos Garza (Post 1003654)
I would love for the Hurst short shifter to be my first of many mods... Where can I buy it...?

There are a lot of vendors on the site find one you like here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Carlos Garza 10-05-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 1004316)
There are a lot of vendors on the site find one you like here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Thanks, I'll check them out. :thumbup:

IPS Brandon 10-07-2009 03:12 PM

MTIs short throw shifter, is NIGHT an day, and installs in 1-2 hours! We have run through a lot of these units already, EVERY client loves it.

Here is more information on the unit http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/produc...oducts_id=3681

These are also in-stock and shipping daily, no waiting, which is always nice.
Regards

The HACK 10-07-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMGee (Post 1003596)
They do a lot more than shifters these days

That's true. They also build complete cars like these:

http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/upl...le-588x441.jpg

http://www.tuninggarage.com/images/h...ge-viper-2.jpg

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content...mages_main.jpg

And of course, the new Hurst Camaro will be hot too.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/m...00228517_m.jpg

Shifters are what made the Hurst brand famous, but at one time or another, they made Hurst wheels, and a little fact you may not know, Hurst is also the makers of the Jaws of Life equipment that emergency workers use to cut people out of wrecked cars. Although "Hurst Shifters" and "Hurst Performance Vehicles" are no longer associated with the Hurst that makes the Jaws of Life.

H & E 10-07-2009 07:12 PM

I just installed my Hurst today in the driveway. It took about an hour, taking my time. May I say, it's fantastic. I'm very happy with my selection and would recommend it to anyone. :thumbup:

subzero05 10-07-2009 07:35 PM

I hadn't even heard of the MTI unit until just recently. Seems everyone really likes the Hurst unit.

Mark-HD 10-07-2009 08:43 PM

I dropped by MTI to get a tour on Tuesday. I was sold so I scheduled to have their shifter and sway bars installed in the morning. Their shifter is superb. They had a car there so I could check it out. Seriously thinking about lowering the car as well... TVS2300 is next on the list.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.