Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   I swear I've driven a manual car before. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46247)

Dans2SS 10-07-2009 11:38 AM

I swear I've driven a manual car before.

Ok so for anyone w/ a M6. What does your car idle at? This is more of a sanity check. I can't really be the only one right?

Mine will idle at 500RPM which to me seems low. Couple this with the narrow window of engagement on the clutch and damn if I don't stall this car like a 16yr old learning how to drive. Before anyone says it I've driven manuals since day 1. 6 in all and this is my 4th with a hydraulic clutch. I traded a 2006 GTO M6 in for it. And that car was a snap.

Anyway on the GTO and my truck they both idled at 750 and you could fell the clutch as it engaged and they were easy to drive. The Camaro idles so low as soon as I feel the clutch start to come in it is almost fully engaged and the car is trying to stall. I'm sure i'll get a better feel of the pedal as it comes in. hills have been pissing me off though. On one, when I need to give extra gas I keep slipping the clutch too much and smelling up the place.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm thinking about getting the predator and tuning up the idle some.

Michael_Js 10-07-2009 12:12 PM

I haven't paid attention to idle RPMs...but I have no issue with starts from 1st. Sounds like you need to raise her up a bit :)

Dans2SS 10-07-2009 12:16 PM

I might have painted the picture a little too gloomy. I've had a couple issues coming off hills. One was ridiculously steep. Other times I'd like to come off from a stop a little smoother. I can launch her hard with no issue. :D Maybe I should just to that all the time.

BTW I noticed the RPM because I was sitting at a light and it stumbled like it was going to quit. When I looked down it was at 500 and I thought something was wrong. then I watched and it stayed there. Every now and then it drops just below that and gives a rough spot.

FredSS 10-07-2009 12:29 PM

Mines about 750 until it warms up then its about like you said around 500.

POWERFREAK 10-07-2009 12:30 PM

mine's @ 500rpm.

clutch just takes some getting used to...especially on hills.

Crowley 10-07-2009 01:13 PM

Mine idles around 500 rpm.

Crowley

2010 2-Tone 10-07-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley (Post 1016086)
Mine idles around 500 rpm.

Crowley

Hey Crowley,
I bet yours don't stay at 500 long with the work you have done!!!!:D

Oldrocker 10-07-2009 01:40 PM

You should start accelerating while releasing the clutch so idle RPM would be irrelevant.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 10-07-2009 02:06 PM

Same for me it is 500 or so and it dos take some time to learn.

Dans2SS 10-07-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldrocker (Post 1016201)
You should start accelerating while releasing the clutch so idle RPM would be irrelevant.

I don't see the need to rev it up though (though I'm starting to see it now). I like to let out of the clutch and feel it start to grab then feather in the throttle. What I'm finding it the clutch catch in such a narrow range on the clutch that it starts to bog a little quicker than my other cars. But when you idle at 500 any bog puts you in stall range. Try to give it throttle too early especially on the hillls and that is when I get he whispy smell of clutch. :thumbdown: I guess I'll figure it out. Just a pain in the butt.

I'm finding myself to drive it like all the Mustang guys I made fun of for all these years. Blipping the throttle to wake her up and then rolling into it.

PAUL SS 10-07-2009 05:29 PM

Mine seems to be around 600. At first I was a little timid when engaging the clutch, but now I just push one pedal down and bring the other one up. You drive the car, it doesn't control you.

2010 CAMARO SS RS 10-07-2009 08:11 PM

my audi a8l idles at about 700 rpm!?!?!?!?! the camaro my cousin has idles at about 600

hamidar05 10-07-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dans2SS (Post 1017085)
I don't see the need to rev it up though (though I'm starting to see it now). I like to let out of the clutch and feel it start to grab then feather in the throttle. What I'm finding it the clutch catch in such a narrow range on the clutch that it starts to bog a little quicker than my other cars. But when you idle at 500 any bog puts you in stall range. Try to give it throttle too early especially on the hillls and that is when I get he whispy smell of clutch. :thumbdown: I guess I'll figure it out. Just a pain in the butt.

I'm finding myself to drive it like all the Mustang guys I made fun of for all these years. Blipping the throttle to wake her up and then rolling into it.

I told JD Power this clutch sucks... I had a 70 Mach 1 manual, and it was consistent... non-hydraulic... this thing is like rolling the dice at different RPMs.. and you shouldn't have to heel toe it.....

cheaplabor 10-09-2009 06:58 PM

my wife bugs me cause i stalled ours a couple of times also, i have size 12.5 feet which dont fit well in the foot wells. cowboy boots don't help either!
my fourth gen was so easy it just about drove itself, my heel could stay in one place and i could push the clutch in with my toes, i drove my cousins
cts-v and it is also very easy, this car is kinda wierd to get used to. embarassing, lighting up 20's is expensive....and cool:D

Dans2SS 10-10-2009 09:38 AM

For now if I blip the trottle a little before coming up w. the clutch it is fine. I dont' like doing it but it lets me catch it withthe RPM closer to 750.

MEDISIN 10-10-2009 10:09 AM

Mine idles at 500 as well and on occasion gets a little shake to it but not real noticable. I have almost 1000 miles on it and stalled for the first time last night. Uphill traffic light with a 370Z next to me. He shot off and I stalled :facepalm:
But I took him on the two previous lights and easily pulled away in 2nd :thumbup:

Road_Warrior85 10-10-2009 02:06 PM

yeah the clutch is a pain in my ass too.

I have pretty much figured out how to put it in the friction spot and let it start to pull away... I just hate how quiet it is. I gotta get my exhaust fixed, that way i hear the motor start to bog when i let the clutch out too much before taking off.

I just wish I could get better at doing it quicker. Like if i stop at a stop sign, and try to hurry up and go, I will come out of the clutch too fast and miss the friction spot (since that range is so small anyway) and that makes me stall out. I have to stop, then slowly ease it out and let it start to pull, then go. Otherwise I miss it and stall.

Im tired of that and waiting to get the hang of it better

Jay_LHD3 10-10-2009 05:43 PM

Day 3 and no problems with 1st here (feathering the gas a little), but finding the sweet spot to shift to 2nd & 3rd is taking some getting use to.

I fell like I'm nose diving every time I hit second and third.

I know how to drive a manual (last five cars were manuals) so I'm telling everyone in the car that its all the horsepower that I'm not use to!!! :laugh: :laugh:

SSOOCH 10-10-2009 06:11 PM

I had not driven a car with a manual transmission in ten years. I have yet to stall my new Camaro. I think it's easier to drive than a little econo box with manual.

topgun1 10-10-2009 06:23 PM

no stalling here, although the clutch disengagement is loud sometimes at a crawling speed when putting it into neutral coming to a stop, parking, or rolling. I just hate the 1-4 skip shift!

Road_Warrior85 10-11-2009 09:50 AM

yeah I never use 2nd gear.... I almost always go straight from 1st to 3rd

Coldpants 10-11-2009 11:11 AM

Great I have not driven a stick for 14 years and then it was only for a few months. Well if I stall too much I will just wear a Bra and clown nose. Nothing distracts people from noticing poor driving like a fat guy in a bra.

busaboy 10-11-2009 05:57 PM

when i first got mine the clutch was on or off. very little room for slippage. i really had to pay attention to prevent stalling. i now have 2200 miles on it and the clutch is much more friendly. even my wife is happy with it now. she was afraid to drive it when new.

avro206 01-03-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheaplabor (Post 1026513)
my wife bugs me cause i stalled ours a couple of times also, i have size 12.5 feet which dont fit well in the foot wells. cowboy boots don't help either!
my fourth gen was so easy it just about drove itself, my heel could stay in one place and i could push the clutch in with my toes, i drove my cousins
cts-v and it is also very easy, this car is kinda wierd to get used to. embarassing, lighting up 20's is expensive....and cool:D

hey I was laughing too! First time I have ever seen you stall anything!

With your "trouble" in mind...I did not stall it :)

omegaman 01-03-2010 09:22 PM

750 rpm idle. But here in Phoenix the air is always dry and warm.