Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   got my spare ECM flashed (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46936)

jimpfromwv 10-11-2009 10:56 PM

got my spare ECM flashed

I have a friend the works at the local dealership and he flashed my spare ECM with the stock tune and I can't believe how much better my car runs. No more rough idle, much better throttle response, no more HERKY JERKYS, and this thing runs a hell of a lot better than it ever did with the factory ECU. There has to be an updated flash that no one is talking about.

EAkrish 10-12-2009 03:59 PM

Is this a LS3?

UCF w00t 10-12-2009 04:15 PM

Some interesting updates from tis2web...

12635479 00004935 New calibration to ensure proper operation of generic scan tools.
12634071 00008B67 New calibration to ensure proper vehicle speed is read by Onstar.
12635293 00007BC3 New calibration with enhanced misfire detection.
12635028 000071D8 New calibration with diagnostic enhancements for DTC P0461.

jimpfromwv 10-12-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAkrish (Post 1035287)
Is this a LS3?

Yep.

wrek 10-12-2009 05:17 PM

So can we just go to the dealer and ask for them to update the software? It seems like there are updates that I should have...

ssmike 10-12-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpfromwv (Post 1033055)
I have a friend the works at the local dealership and he flashed my spare ECM with the stock tune and I can't believe how much better my car runs. No more rough idle, much better throttle response, no more HERKY JERKYS, and this thing runs a hell of a lot better than it ever did with the factory ECU. There has to be an updated flash that no one is talking about.

How did you get a spare ECM and how much did it cost? Can GM detect that you change the ECM?

jimpfromwv 10-12-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmike (Post 1036916)
How did you get a spare ECM and how much did it cost? Can GM detect that you change the ECM?

I used to work at the dealership so I just gave them my VIN# and ordered the ECM and I gave around 200.00 dollars for it. I got the spare so I could tune it and keep the original one stock for warranty.

TJ91 10-13-2009 12:00 AM

that is too smart

Sack Rat 2SS 10-22-2009 07:05 PM

Not for sure, but early LS3's were dynoing 355 to 360 rwhp. This would roughly apply to the first ten thousand cars. However, now after forty thousand and more cars the dyno results are consistently 370 plus. Same improvements for the L99's. It would seem to me that GM has tweeked the ECM tune over the past short history of our Camaros. It might help to have a recent reflash as pointed out in the earlier post. My 2 cents. :chevy:

bdg 10-22-2009 08:23 PM

This is very interesting info. Anyone in the know?

BoostedX2 10-23-2009 09:04 AM

How hard is it to swap out the ECM?

2010 2-Tone 10-23-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmike (Post 1036916)

They will be able to tell! The mileage won't match!

Milk 1027 10-23-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone (Post 1079646)
They will be able to tell! The mileage won't match!

not just the milage.

GM keeps a file with the ECM serial number that is on a specific VIN.

So if you take it to a dealer and the car's VIN and ECM s/n don't match, the dealer will know something is up

Merc 10-23-2009 03:27 PM

I would assume that if you took it back to dealer it would have original vin# correct ecm and the spare would have the tune.

toehead93 10-23-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS (Post 1077913)
Not for sure, but early LS3's were dynoing 355 to 360 rwhp. This would roughly apply to the first ten thousand cars. However, now after forty thousand and more cars the dyno results are consistently 370 plus. Same improvements for the L99's. It would seem to me that GM has tweeked the ECM tune over the past short history of our Camaros. It might help to have a recent reflash as pointed out in the earlier post. My 2 cents. :chevy:

Were those corrected dyno numbers? The first group of cars were dyno'd in the middle of the hot summer, we've seen that the stock tunes are really affected by high temps. The latest group of cars are now neing dyno'd in 20-degree cooler weather. I think that has more to do with it.

m1tankr 10-25-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 1080942)
not just the milage.

So if you take it to a dealer and the car's VIN and ECM s/n don't match, the dealer will know something is up

The new ECM is flashed w/the VIN & I think the mileage is stored elsewhere (BCM if I remember correctly from other threads). Vector & others sell a tuned ECM as an option so you can just plug & play if you want. It's also been confirmed by some of the techs (in other threads) that the GM scanner can not tell if the ECM has been swapped or how many times it's been flashed (that's why they have stealth tunes now). Others have posted that the dealer will reflash for free. Sometimes this has been done automatically while the car was in for non-related work.

Jeanius 10-26-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrek (Post 1035667)
So can we just go to the dealer and ask for them to update the software? It seems like there are updates that I should have...

:word:?

BlackinBlack 10-26-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 1080942)
not just the milage.

If that was the case... then keep the factory ECM stock and Mod the spare one. Not Rocket science. :D

GaryTucker 10-26-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackinBlack (Post 1091122)
If that was the case... then keep the factory ECM stock and Mod the spare one. Not Rocket science. :D

What everyone fails to think about is what happens with a catastrophic failure? Sure you can slap that old ECM in...but if it isn't reading anything near what could have caused your major failure...then do you think the dealer will buy it? Some items have to have a run cycle to reset...so that ECM that's been on the shelf for 6 months still shows something out of kilter for the situation your car is in.

Even the "swap the ECM" trick isn't 100% foolproof and only seems logical if you are only running a CAI, Catback, and Tune. Anything more and your car is going to run like crap when you "untune it" to take to the dealer.

BlackinBlack 10-26-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryTucker (Post 1091340)
What everyone fails to think about is what happens with a catastrophic failure? Sure you can slap that old ECM in...but if it isn't reading anything near what could have caused your major failure...then do you think the dealer will buy it? Some items have to have a run cycle to reset...so that ECM that's been on the shelf for 6 months still shows something out of kilter for the situation your car is in.

Even the "swap the ECM" trick isn't 100% foolproof and only seems logical if you are only running a CAI, Catback, and Tune. Anything more and your car is going to run like crap when you "untune it" to take to the dealer.

Good point. I think this is only viable when you have a mildly modded car. I.E. long tubes, CAI, full exhaust. The car will run fine without a tune but will have a check engine light or will not have all the performance it could get from the mods.

In addition it would not be very useful for the reasons you stated if you have a major engine failure. Were it could be useful would be for a broken CV joint or a failed output shaft on a trans. Things that GM should not take a tune into consideration for warranty but they are...

franknbeans 10-26-2009 04:02 PM

no one answered about getting the ECM updated... can we just call the dealership and ask for this?

Oldrocker 10-26-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryTucker (Post 1091340)

The factory parameters are lost and the monitors are reset to "not ready" when the ECM looses power for any reason. So if you install an unplugged ECM it will definitely not show any believable data. So the thing to do in this instance is to run the car battery down with the flashers and have the car towed in with the battery down and the flashers on, the dealer will be none the wiser.

SS-screamer 10-26-2009 04:40 PM

If I get a tune and the only thing I have changed is the AFM shut off, it can void my warranty? If so that would really suck and not seem entirely fair.

BlackinBlack 10-27-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-screamer (Post 1091602)
If I get a tune and the only thing I have changed is the AFM shut off, it can void my warranty? If so that would really suck and not seem entirely fair.

From what GM is stating "any" non-stock tune on the ECM voids to power train warranty. You could tune the motor to have a more conservative tune and it would still void the warranty. Right now I don't even look my ECM in the eye... don't want to make GM angry. ;)

GaryTucker 10-30-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-screamer (Post 1091602)

Why isn't it fair? Why should GM warranty your modified item or anything it is affecting? GM has every right to refuse to warranty modified items as they have no control over the quality of the modification or the additional stress it may cause.