Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Turbo Kit for V6!!! Turbochargers.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49493)

Teamturbo 10-28-2009 02:46 PM

Turbo Kit for V6!!! Turbochargers.com
 
We at Turbochargers.com have decided to develop a Turbo Kit for the V6 2010 Camaros to satisfy the speed and power urges for those of you who opted out of the SS. We project a power increase of at least 100whp which would be enough for an SS to see nothing but your tail lights. :) This will be a complete kit including tune and fuel system upgrades. We are unsure of whether it will be a single or twin kit until we get a donor car and inspect it closely. So, we need a donor vehicle!! We will need the car for 2 weeks max and it will be returned to you back to complete stock untouched with a $300 gift certificate to our shop or if you decide to purchase the kit, you'll receive a generous discount over what it will be sold for. The kit will include name brand parts and will be designed and fabricated by our our talented R&D team here at Turbochargers.com.

If you are interested, please contact us at the shop at:
713-681-1111 ask for Jack.

We are located in Houston, TX but if you are willing to ship your car to us we would certainly accept.


http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...oboostlogo.jpg

C4 10-28-2009 02:48 PM

whats the total cost

ssump29 10-28-2009 02:51 PM

I think you will need more then 100rwhp to make an SS see the back of your taillights. Given the stock V6 puts out around 233 to the wheels. Gonna need a little more. Other then that good job on stepping up.

MontyCarlo 10-28-2009 03:16 PM

Man, more of these places looking for donor vehicles for discounted kits need to be in the upper midwest.

rolnslo 10-28-2009 03:30 PM

How are you tuning the V6 for the turbo?

Last I heard, no one could do it yet.

I'd let you use my Camaro but I don't think I'm willing to give up my warranty just yet.

ZNOLMT 10-28-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolnslo (Post 1102109)
How are you tuning the V6 for the turbo?

Last I heard, no one could do it yet.

I'd let you use my Camaro but I don't think I'm willing to give up my warranty just yet.

I heard SLP can, but other than that, no one else for now.

Teamturbo 10-28-2009 03:36 PM

We are expecting more than the 100whp increase which is reason for the "> SS" talk however we don't want to get too ahead of ourselves. With the lighter weight of the V6 we think it may make up for a little less power.

We have exclusive information on a full tuning solution by a well known supplier will be available when we are ready for that step of the development. :)

ZNOLMT 10-28-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamturbo (Post 1102142)
We are expecting more than the 100whp increase which is reason for the "> SS" talk however we don't want to get too ahead of ourselves. With the lighter weight of the V6 we think it may make up for a little less power.

We have exclusive information on a full tuning solution by a well known supplier will be available when we are ready for that step of the development. :)

:w00t: Sounds good! Any estimate on the price yet?

Teamturbo 10-28-2009 03:45 PM

We are looking to retail between $6000-7500.

A gentleman just called to see the discount for the donor car and it's very difficult to project ahead of time because we are unaware of the EXACT amount. That is why we have the option to not keep the kit if it's out of your price range once it's determined.

brAnd7onX 10-28-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamturbo (Post 1102175)
We are looking to retail between $7500-9500.

A gentleman just called to see the discount for the donor car and it's very difficult to project ahead of time because we are unaware of the EXACT amount. That is why we have the option to not keep the kit if it's out of your price range once it's determined.

Not to be rude or anything and I do love turbos... isn't it cheaper just to upgrade to the SS stock than to buy a turbo for the V6 and ruin the warranty and gas mileage?

P.S. I am getting the V6 camaro so you know im not ripping the V6...

rolnslo 10-28-2009 03:59 PM

I'm sure you'll be able to sell the turbo kits to someone that loves to mod V6 engines but you do realize that MSRP difference between a 2LT/RS and a 2SS/RS is $6620, right?

That gap gets smaller as depreciation kicks in. To price your kit above that range is just asking for fewer and fewer sales. If your target with your turbo kit is at or just slightly above the V8 RWHP, then you need to make sure it's priced right otherwise people are just going to go buy an SS instead. I know I would if I had an extra $7k that I could drop on a turbo for my V6 or just upgrade to a V8.

Teamturbo 10-28-2009 04:04 PM

Not rude, it's a fair comment/ question. :)

The cost is estimated high, however, if we are able to build it for the cost we expect then that estimate will be closer to the $6k mark. And for the gas mileage, depending on how heavy your foot is, can be very minimally effected if at all. You'll still be able to maintain the 29mph hwy because you will be out of boost during cruising. In some cases, turbos have even been known to increase gas mileage slightly due to their ability to increase the efficiency of the engine.

scrming 10-28-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brAnd7onX (Post 1102196)
Not to be rude or anything and I do love turbos... isn't it cheaper just to upgrade to the SS stock than to buy a turbo for the V6 and ruin the warranty and gas mileage?

P.S. I am getting the V6 camaro so you know im not ripping the V6...

I agree with your assessment... as much of a V6 enthusiast as I am and a turbo fan... I think $7500 to $9500 would be a very hard pill to swallow...

Teamturbo 10-28-2009 04:13 PM

Again, the estimate was set high but it's unfortunately spooked many of you. Realistically we are expecting to be able to sell them somewhere between $6k-7500

scrming 10-28-2009 04:17 PM

Not sure how the LLT is going to play out with FI... but one thing that also has me wondering besides the tuning is the fuel system... When you are talking about 100+ RWHP gains you usually have to upgrade the fuel system, in some form or another... wondering what the stock fuel system can handle..

brAnd7onX 10-28-2009 04:21 PM

I would say if it's any higher than $5k then your not going to sell many. Most people who buy the V6 like myself are buying it because we can't afford the V8 so how could we afford the turbo?

Teamturbo 10-28-2009 04:27 PM

I saw a thread regarding the STS kits and they are projecting a much higher cost and seem to have maintained quite a bit of interest. The price will directly depend on how much it costs us to build. We aren't a greedy company, we just want to provide a quality product to our customers for a fair price.

We will be upgrading the fuel system without a doubt.

scrming 10-28-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamturbo (Post 1102420)
I saw a thread regarding the STS kits and they are projecting a much higher cost and seem to have maintained quite a bit of interest. The price will directly depend on how much it costs us to build. We aren't a greedy company, we just want to provide a quality product to our customers for a fair price.

We will be upgrading the fuel system without a doubt.

Haven't seen the STS V6 thread.... i go take a peek... LOL!

Curious on the "how" of the fuel upgrade... was watching the Fuel pressure today... 600 PSI at idle... 1250 PSI cruising... 1800 PSI under some what aggressive acceleration... LOL

lawdogg149 10-28-2009 04:44 PM

Well folks I have a V-8 turbo camaro and have to say I love it. If you have never driven a turbo car you are missing out. Great thing about turbos are they are only there when you need it. Press the pedal wham its there. Drive normal no difference except I went from 23 mpg to 27 mpg driven on the same stretch of road 650 miles. As far as upgrading fuel system. I went from 425 hp to 728 hp and 610 rwhp with only injectors and tune change with my turbo. Oh yea we added a KB boost pump too. Once you go Turbo you never go back.

Good job guys there are alot of V-6 guys looking for this you will do well.

Teamturbo 10-28-2009 04:54 PM

Thank you for the support!!

The V6 Camaros are direct injection (which I'm sure many of you know). A direct injection fuel system is based on pressure and is very "tunable" with the right tool(s) and know how.

mrray13 10-28-2009 05:18 PM

a friend talked to me about a turbo and tune, mentioning that with the VVT, direct injection and a proper tune, this little v6 will be smoking, ala Grand National back in the day.

i'm a motor guy, but lack knowledge when it comes to turbos, so forgive me if my next question is, well, stupid, for lack of a better word.

my friend stated that one might be able to hold the exhaust valve open a millisecond or so during the intake stroke. this would allow a minute portion of gas to exit the cylinder and enter the turbo where the heat would cause combustion. he goes on to say this would allow for the turbo to spool up faster and make it even moree efficient and productive. is that true?

also, and maybe i'm out of place here, but i think if someone is giving you a car to basicly thrash on, the donor car should recieve a turbo package at no charge. it's not like you're not going to be beating on that car's motor with dyno pulls, tuning and just daily driving tests. just a discounted price for being without a fairly rare and brand new car just doesn't cut it IMHO.

scrming 10-28-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrray13 (Post 1102673)
a friend talked to me about a turbo and tune, mentioning that with the VVT, direct injection and a proper tune, this little v6 will be smoking, ala Grand National back in the day.

i'm a motor guy, but lack knowledge when it comes to turbos, so forgive me if my next question is, well, stupid, for lack of a better word.

my friend stated that one might be able to hold the exhaust valve open a millisecond or so during the intake stroke. this would allow a minute portion of gas to exit the cylinder and enter the turbo where the heat would cause combustion. he goes on to say this would allow for the turbo to spool up faster and make it even moree efficient and productive. is that true?

also, and maybe i'm out of place here, but i think if someone is giving you a car to basicly thrash on, the donor car should recieve a turbo package at no charge. it's not like you're not going to be beating on that car's motor with dyno pulls, tuning and just daily driving tests. just a discounted price for being without a fairly rare and brand new car just doesn't cut it IMHO.

actually... keeping the exhaust valve open a bit is what the big turbo dragsters do! That's why the have a very high, rough idle... Not sure you want to do that with a normal car though!

As for the donor car... yeah... I would tend to agree with you.. everyone that I know that's been a test mule for this kind of mod basically simply keeps the kit...

v6sonoma 10-28-2009 05:30 PM

I think it would sell well. A turbo V6 is different and different is cool. When you line up side by side at the track with a stock mustang and say "I have a v6." then smoke him it's gotta be fun. I have a V8 so I'm not the target market here, but there's def people who will go for this.

Teamturbo 10-28-2009 05:38 PM

What you are referring to is "Anti-Lag." And yes, it basically causes combustion inside the turbo making it spool up instantaneously at the cost of shorter lifespan of the turbo in most cases due to the INSANE amount of heat created. Rally racers have been using it for years and drag racers have started using it over the past years to current as well.

As for the donor car, we won't be "thrashing" on it as you say. We will be dyno tuning it which is a heavily monitored and scientific process that will properly take the engine to the capable power goals in a progressive manner. Expecting a turbo kit for free is a little steep. The car will be very well taken care of.

scrming 10-28-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamturbo (Post 1102759)
What you are referring to is "Anti-Lag." And yes, it basically causes combustion inside the turbo making it spool up instantaneously at the cost of shorter lifespan of the turbo in most cases due to the INSANE amount of heat created. Rally racers have been using it for years and drag racers have started using it over the past years to current as well.

As for the donor car, we won't be "thrashing" on it as you say. We will be dyno tuning it which is a heavily monitored and scientific process that will properly take the engine to the capable power goals in a progressive manner. Expecting a turbo kit for free is a little steep. The car will be very well taken care of.

But in fact "stuff happens"... I wouldn't be surprised if people who are trying to develop power adders for the LLT pop a few motors along the way... in fact Lingefelter kind of implied this with the "got to break a few eggs to make an omelet" comment...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.