Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Pirelli Trofeo R Discontinued? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501083)

Dixon Racing 07-10-2017 12:28 PM

Pirelli Trofeo R Discontinued?

Just tried ordering a set of Trofeo's from my dealer, they got back to me saying GM cant sell them anymore since Pirelli has stopped making them. Claimed it was the fast wear that was the issue.
Has anyone else heard of this?

Looks like it's time to order some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S...

Ftrusty 07-10-2017 01:48 PM

Tire Rack has them.

prd72 07-10-2017 09:56 PM

Tried ordering them up in the Great White North last month and was told they have been discontinued. Went to the dealer and 2 tire shops.

X77-69z28 07-11-2017 12:54 AM

I am trying to get mine warrantied, and was given the number of three places that Pirelli stores their racing tires. I called one place in Chicago and was told they had plenty of them

Z/28Dan 07-11-2017 05:46 AM

If no other car uses these tires, it was just a matter of time before this happened.

Dixon Racing 07-11-2017 02:50 PM

I realize that there is inventory still out there, I was just pointing out that Pirelli is discontinuing them.

Has anyone looked at the Toyo R888R? I think this is my next choice instead of the Michelins.

Gbland60 07-11-2017 03:56 PM

Hey neighbor all I can tell you is I heard the888r hook real well and the 4s which I have, have weak side walls

POINTBY 07-11-2017 04:47 PM

I ordered a set from Discount Tire in Smyrna, GA today from the manager Scott. He didn't say they weren't available. Unless you hear back from me on this thread, he can get them for you.

markstoys 07-11-2017 05:50 PM

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I have been looking at these at Tire Rack for a while now and this is what I saw: It seems that Pirelli changed the 305-30-19 to a Porsche spec. For a while they had the tire in both configurations, but now only in the Porsche spec. I have been unable to determine what difference (if any) there is between the two. Searching other forums it seems that there may or may not be a difference in the sidewall and/or shoulder area of the tire--but I could not find a definite answer anywhere.

And I don't know if this tire comes standard on any car any more, but my research on other forums shows that there are TONS of guys who track high end cars (Porsche, McLaren, Audi, Ferrari, etc.) who LOVE this tire. Hopefully there is enough demand for Pirelli to keep making it.

MRBZ28 07-12-2017 12:43 PM

I'm very happy that I have a brand new set of Trofeo on my rack waiting for my existing ones to wear out.

Shoupaloop 07-12-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRBZ28 (Post 9814557)
I'm very happy that I have a brand new set of Trofeo on my rack waiting for my existing ones to wear out.

Take them down and move them around/flex the sidewalls every once in a while. Tires go bad after sitting stationary for too long. Flexing the sidewalls will help keep them roadworthy and help prevent cracking.

Gtiwv 07-13-2017 07:47 AM

Pirelli has stopped making the GM part number Trofeo R. They still make the Porsche part number Trofeo R, and will for a long time. I'm pretty sure they use them in some Porsche Cup races.

I spoke with a guy at tirerack about that when I bought my Z/28 a month ago, because I got a brand new set of Trofeo R's on the car when I bought it

pat_t 07-13-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtiwv (Post 9815708)
Pirelli has stopped making the GM part number Trofeo R. They still make the Porsche part number Trofeo R, and will for a long time. I'm pretty sure they use them in some Porsche Cup races.

I spoke with a guy at tirerack about that when I bought my Z/28 a month ago, because I got a brand new set of Trofeo R's on the car when I bought it

So what are the differences? Anyone know?

You're right about the Trofeo R, it's the spec tyre for a few race series here in Europe so they're not about to pull the entire range...

I only have ex-Porsche tyres so sounds like I'll never get to try the exact GM spec ones on my Z though :(

POINTBY 07-13-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat_t (Post 9815965)

I only have ex-Porsche tyres so sounds like I'll never get to try the exact GM spec ones on my Z though :(

It's the same load rating. "NO" is Porsche compatible. It doesn't mean it's any more/less of the original tire. I'm sure Pirelli just stamped it with the "NO" so that the P-car guys could run it as well.

I wouldn't worry.