Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Audio/Bluetooth/PDIM FAQ (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50996)

UCF w00t 11-06-2009 06:01 PM

Audio/Bluetooth/PDIM FAQ
 
This doesn’t cover everything but I tried to get the basics in. If I haven’t answered your question please search and it may have already been answered in another thread. If you feel I’ve missed a common question or have an error or clarification above, let me know!


What audio devices does my car support?
All models come with the Auxiliary input. This allows you to plug in any music playing device that can connect to a pair of normal headphones. You’ll likely just need a male-male 1/8th inch stereo cable. If you have a 1LT with the C&C package, 2LT, or 2SS you have the PDIM module (explained next). And of course there is that slot you can stick a CD into.

Is there a CD changer available?
Not in the US. Export vehicles (middle east, etc) apparently do come with CD changers. You can, however, create an MP3 CD. Basically you burn your MP3 files onto a CD as data instead of as audio. Through the magic of compression, this will allow you to fit about 15 albums (depending on track length, etc) on a single CD. Editor note: this isn't 1997... who needs a CD changer? :bellyroll:

What is this ‘PDIM’ module?
The PDIM (Preferred Device Interface Module) allows you to directly connect many USB-compatible devices to your car to play music. It also allows you to wirelessly play music from a supported device via Bluetooth.

What devices are compatible with the USB port?
Most USB flash drives, 5th Generation iPods and newer, Micrsosoft Zunes, and many “PlaysForSure” devices made by other companies such as Sandisk Sansa players. For more details on which MP3 players are compatible, see this PDF. Note: many older iPods will work however they will function as USB flash drives and not as an iPod. Camaro5 member RandyB put together a nice rundown of some of the various options.

Is there a difference between the various USB devices?
In one word, yes. For the most part, the newer iPods work just fine. However other devices have some issues that are not fixed by any currently available software update. This is because the indexing is handled by the iPod but the Camaro maintains the index of songs for other devices.

What issues are there for non-iPod devices?
Each time the car starts, the PDIM re-indexes the device. Depending on the number of songs and layout of files, this may take anywhere from a few seconds to a couple minutes and you cannot change tracks or browse the device while it is indexing. Also, the Camaro does not remember the previous playlist or “random” setting. When the car starts, it will continue playing the previous song however after that it will continue in alphabetical order. Finally, there is a limit of 2500 songs on a single device. Again, newer iPods do not have these issues.

What file formats are supported on USB flash drives?
MP3 and WMA (non-DRM).

Are playlists supported?
This seems to be rather hit or miss. I have personally been able to get one working but it seems a bit tricky. Your mileage may vary. I believe playlists work just fine on iPods.

Is DRM music supported?
Like playlists, YMMV. It is dependent upon the device you are using to play it. Some PlaysForSure devices are supposed to support this. This should work fine on the supported iPods. Reportedly, Zune Pass music with the ZuneHD does not work.

Can I buy the PDIM module for my 1LS/1LT/1SS?
Yes! Some dealers may not be very good at getting it installed but yes you can. The actual install is relatively trivial however the head unit must be updated by a dealership in order to recognize the PDIM. This is the same hardware that’s included in the other cars but does not add the steering wheel controls.

So what’s the deal with Bluetooth?
There are two separate Bluetooth modules. One is in the OnStar unit. This is what allows you to make and receive hands-free phone calls. It is included in the same cars that include the PDIM module. It acts just like a regular Bluetooth headset. The second one is part of the PDIM module. This allows supported devices (Smartphones for the most part) to stream music over Bluetooth to the car’s speakers. This is very similar to plugging your device into the auxiliary port in that the music is controlled from the device and not the head unit. However, some devices may support track forward/reverse from the head unit.

If I buy the PDIM module will that let me make phone calls via bluetooth?
No, it will not. As stated above, there are two separate modules. You will, however be able to play music via Bluetooth over your car speakers. BUT, you can swap out the OnStar module for the one that includes Bluetooth and add it that way. (thread explaining this)

My PDIM doesn’t seem to be working!
Make sure the device you’re plugging in functions. If it does, even if there’s no music on it the car should display “Unsupported device”. If you continue to have problems, take it in to your dealer as there may be a loose connection or the PDIM could need to be replaced.

I have one of the early Camaros, is there a software update available?
Yes, the first cars had software version CC. There was a version CD available to dealers briefly. The current version CE began shipping from the factory sometime in July 2009. This fixes some issues mainly with iPods and some stability issues here and there. You can obtain this by visiting your dealership and asking them to install it (it is covered under warranty). They may have trouble finding the update so as with many other things, YMMV. It is available and several people have been able to get theirs updated.

How can I tell what software version I have?
While on the screen for a USB device, press and hold the menu button for a few seconds. A screen should pop up with the HW and SW versions.

Where are the 9 speakers in the Boston Acoustics system?
The math is a bit fuzzy but…
1 in each door
1 tweeter on each door
1 center speaker
2 rear speakers which include a main speaker and a tweeter (totaling 4 speakers)

Can I replace the head unit?
Metra has a double-din head unit replacement kit available. https://metradealer.com/api/vfg/view...ct/id/99-3010S

slick rick 11-06-2009 06:49 PM

:thumbsup::w00t:

codeman71 11-07-2009 07:37 AM

Wow, thank you! I've been wanting to post something like this, but you did a fantastic job. The only update I have is that the PDIM actually stands for Preferred Device Interface Module. Not a big deal, but just thought I'd give you the official name :).

UCF w00t 11-07-2009 08:41 AM

"Preferred Device Interface Module"?!?!? What's that supposed to mean? I like my version way better lol. Thanks :)

codeman71 11-08-2009 08:56 AM

Yeah I know...when you leave it up to engineers, that's what you get :)

garcmol 11-13-2009 03:00 PM

Well that explains a lot!!! I have a 3rd gen iPod Shuffle and wondered why I didn't see an iPod on the screen like codeman71's avatar. All I see is USB. I also was wondering why I had to convert all my songs from iTunes to MP3 for it to work. Guess I need an up to date iPod. Thank goodness Christmas is coming!!! Thank you so much for this breakdown. Kinda got a blank stare at the dealer.

ravensjeff 11-14-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garcmol (Post 1169343)
Well that explains a lot!!! I have a 3rd gen iPod Shuffle and wondered why I didn't see an iPod on the screen like codeman71's avatar. All I see is USB. I also was wondering why I had to convert all my songs from iTunes to MP3 for it to work. Guess I need an up to date iPod. Thank goodness Christmas is coming!!! Thank you so much for this breakdown. Kinda got a blank stare at the dealer.

I was wondering why you said you had to convert your files to mp3's ON YOUR IPOD- because the older ipods act like flashdrives. Interesting. Luckily I have a 5th gen 80GB Classic, and the files were already mp3's because I initially used a flash drive. Ipod is much cooler.

garcmol 11-15-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravensjeff (Post 1171752)
I was wondering why you said you had to convert your files to mp3's ON YOUR IPOD- because the older ipods act like flashdrives. Interesting. Luckily I have a 5th gen 80GB Classic, and the files were already mp3's because I initially used a flash drive. Ipod is much cooler.

Well that makes two of us!! I wondered why I had to convert too. Now I have to go shopping.

okfiltch 11-20-2009 01:48 PM

OK, so here is a question: I have a 32g iPhone 3Gs, and want to know if I hook it up via the USB port, and have the phone set to the Bluetooth in the car, while I am listening to my music files, will the bluetooth overide the music when I get an incoming call, or if I want to make an outgoing call?

My VR 2SS RS is currently being built and should be here in a few weeks...just something I was wondering.

I have another iPod that I use in my '06 Wrangler with an Alpine iPod control radio...so I would prefer to use my iPhone with the Camaro. Also, my Alpine does not let me shuffle the song library, does the system in the Camaro do a "all song" shuffle like can be done directly on the iPhone/iPod?

UCF w00t 11-20-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okfiltch (Post 1196545)
OK, so here is a question: I have a 32g iPhone 3Gs, and want to know if I hook it up via the USB port, and have the phone set to the Bluetooth in the car, while I am listening to my music files, will the bluetooth overide the music when I get an incoming call, or if I want to make an outgoing call?

My VR 2SS RS is currently being built and should be here in a few weeks...just something I was wondering.

I have another iPod that I use in my '06 Wrangler with an Alpine iPod control radio...so I would prefer to use my iPhone with the Camaro. Also, my Alpine does not let me shuffle the song library, does the system in the Camaro do a "all song" shuffle like can be done directly on the iPhone/iPod?

Not certain but I believe the iPhone will pause the music and let you pick up the call. This is more of a device thing than a Camaro thing though.

Yes, you can shuffle your library.

okfiltch 11-20-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 1196562)
Not certain but I believe the iPhone will pause the music and let you pick up the call. This is more of a device thing than a Camaro thing though.

Yes, you can shuffle your library.


Hey, thanks!!!:thumbup:

ravensjeff 12-14-2009 09:46 PM

I have a question similar to Okfiltch's:

Currently I use a 5th gen 80 GB ipod classic for music via USB- works great (SW=CE).

I also use a paired LG Chocolate phne for hands free calling- also works great.

I am getting a new LG env3 phone- which I know pairs successfully with Camaro(for hands-free calling)-I tried friends with success. In reading the owners manual, it looks like the phone should be paired twice- one for hands free calling via "ONSTAR" Bluetooth module, and one for streaming music wireless via "PDIM" Bluetooth module.

After these pairing processes, does the PDIM Bluetooth module remember the phone upon car re-entry and play songs from it if that is what I played music from the last time?

Also, does this bluetooth phone system act like the ipods? Or more like a flash drive when controlling music/indexing?

How many phones can be paired to stream music?

I love my current system since it works well all the time, but if I can improve that by using the phones capabilities (And not really need the ipod), then why not?

UCF w00t 12-14-2009 11:08 PM

It might depend on your phone but I have to go into the car menu and tell mine to connect before it completes the A2DP connection. I know it does that at least if you switch to another input and leave the car but I think it does it even if you leave it on aux/bluetooth.

It basically behaves like it's plugged into the headphone jack. You select the music on the phone and it does not display track names, etc on the screen. You typically can, however, go forward and back using the steering wheel controls or deck.

To be honest, I don't much see the benefit of A2DP in this application. The audio quality is slightly less than USB, you can't pick your songs from the car interface, but the biggest downside is that it drains the battery on your phone, likely fairly rapidly. The USB does the opposite.

CamaroShayne 01-02-2010 03:33 PM

Ok here is my question... I seem to be stuck in 1997! I have a 1SS without the Boston Acoustics system. If I have the PDIM installed, what will I be able to do, that I cant do now? And remember, I am a moron when it comes to the audio side of things!

UCF w00t 01-02-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroShayne (Post 1341424)
Ok here is my question... I seem to be stuck in 1997! I have a 1SS without the Boston Acoustics system. If I have the PDIM installed, what will I be able to do, that I cant do now? And remember, I am a moron when it comes to the audio side of things!

Basically connect devices digitally (bluetooth or USB) to play music over the car speakers. If using USB, it will also charge your device.

CamaroShayne 01-07-2010 06:22 PM

Will I be able to control them through the head unit, or just on my IPod?

Iwantone2 01-07-2010 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i believe you'll only be able to control "them" through the head unit. which is better in my opinion because i have to fumble with the dumb pod with two hands (yeah, i know i suck).

seriously shayne,

"Just Do It"

ZombieEatsYou 01-08-2010 10:19 AM

Here's something I learned about this item: "When the car starts, it will continue playing the previous song however after that it will continue in alphabetical order. "

I you listen to the radio or cd and let your device finish indexing before the current song is over, then it will proceed to the next song in order. If not, then when your current song is over it will then start at or near the beginning of the alphabet again. I think it will pick up at whatever song the indexing happens to be at. For me, after a typical 3 minute song, the next one will start with a "C." Usually "Chains" by Juda Priest.

So, tips for you- Never turn off the car between songs or let a song end before indexing is finished; it will start with an "A" song or wherever the index happens to be when the song ended. In my case "Chains." Let your device finish indexing before listening to it, it will start at the beginning of your previous song and continue in alpha order after that. I've got about 700 songs and podcasts on my zune and indexing takes from 9-11 minutes.

jmiele 01-10-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

What audio devices does my car support?
All models come with the Auxiliary input. This allows you to plug in any music playing device that can connect to a pair of normal headphones. You’ll likely just need a male-male 1/8th inch stereo cable. If you have a 1LT with the C&C package, 2LT, or 2SS you have the PDIM module (explained next). And of course there is that slot you can stick a CD into.
Based on this I understand that you do not need the C&C package to use an iTouch with any model Camaro. Going this route (using a stereo cable), is song selection controlled by the iPod, the head unit (which I'm assuming is the car radio control), or both?

Would there be any reason to add the C&C package if I only plan to use it to connect an iPod if I don't care about steering wheel mounted controls or Bluetooth connectivity?

slick rick 01-10-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmiele (Post 1367775)
Based on this I understand that you do not need the C&C package to use an iTouch with any model Camaro. Going this route (using a stereo cable), is song selection controlled by the iPod, the head unit (which I'm assuming is the car radio control), or both?

Would there be any reason to add the C&C package if I only plan to use it to connect an iPod if I don't care about steering wheel mounted controls or Bluetooth connectivity?

Using the Auxiliary input requires that you select the song from the iPod. You will not be able to control the iPod from the head unit.

james2SS 02-19-2010 08:34 PM

I'm using a usb stick and I'm having a hard time figuring out how the label/name the tunes such that they'll play in the order I designate. When viewing the files in windows, I have them in the order I'd like when I sort by name, but it translates into something different when I play the stick in the car.

How does one control the ordering of the playlist in the Camaro's implementation?

~Jim

james2SS 02-20-2010 02:14 PM

Finally figured it out, but it's not pretty. I tried a bunch of different ways to get a playlist on a USB stick (windows media player, itunes, mediamonkey, iExplorer) and no matter what I did it always played in alphabetical order. I attempted to add a prefix (e.g., 1a, 1b, 1c) to the file name, but it made no difference. I discovered that you can do this, but it has to be under properties for the file and is needed to be done on the title, not the filename.

Too much work when you're talking thousands of songs. :-(

~Jim

TonyNo 02-20-2010 03:13 PM

Song title?

Seems like this needs to be an option in the menus. Who listens to stuff alphabetically?

james2SS 02-20-2010 03:19 PM

Exactly, that's why I've been screwing around with this for way too long!

~Jim

UCF w00t 02-20-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james2SS (Post 1501021)
I'm using a usb stick and I'm having a hard time figuring out how the label/name the tunes such that they'll play in the order I designate. When viewing the files in windows, I have them in the order I'd like when I sort by name, but it translates into something different when I play the stick in the car.

How does one control the ordering of the playlist in the Camaro's implementation?

~Jim

Try creating a playlist. Something like Winamp can do it. Standard M3U playlists work. Just put it in the root of your flash drive. Then go in the menu and select it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.