Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   L99 discussion (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5181)

The_Blur 07-18-2008 07:07 PM

L99 discussion
 
Apparently, the L99 that made the 1994 Caprice will make the Camaro with significant changes. The L99 is a modified LT1, bringing the classic motor back to the Camaro. In the Caprice, it made 18 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. Information is according to Edmunds.

How did GM make a 200-horsepower motor push 395 horses? What impact on fuel efficiency can we expect from the boost in horsepower coupled with the addition of AFM to this motor. Since it is only going to be used in the automatic, according to the leaked RS thread, what impact will the automatic transmission have on this?

If you have any other useful information about the L99 post it as well. We have been discussing the L76 and the LS3 so much that we had not even discussed the L99 in these forums.

Chocolate Apocalypse 07-18-2008 07:19 PM

I cant see a Gen II motor in the 5th gen, no matter what they have done with it. I'm guessing its just a detuned ls3 w/AFM.

The_Blur 07-18-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse (Post 92340)
I cant see a Gen II motor in the 5th gen, no matter what they have done with it. I'm guessing its just a detuned ls3 w/AFM.

It has been leaked with the photos and posted everywhere. Until Monday, I'm just focused on learning as much as possible about the L99.

Moreover, GM has not yet made AFM available on the LS3.

Chocolate Apocalypse 07-18-2008 07:26 PM

Its been leaked that the name of the motor is L99, not that its a GenII motor. Who in their right mind would buy that? lol

The_Blur 07-18-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse (Post 92350)
Its been leaked that the name of the motor is L99, not that its a GenII motor. Who in their right mind would buy that? lol

The L99 is also the name of the motor in the Chevrolet Caprice in 1994.

Hyperknight 07-18-2008 07:40 PM

I think they just used the engine number again lol. I think it's just the ls3 fitted with the cylinder deactivation and the auto tranny

carsismeZ06 07-18-2008 08:08 PM

I think that this motor will be put in the RS model.

boxmonkeyracing 07-18-2008 08:17 PM

We will see come monday what they are refering to, hopefully. but if the RS is not the base V-8 (I doubt it) then it's nothing more then an apperance package that can be bought with any level. IMO.

Shadowsong 07-18-2008 08:33 PM

I'm pretty sure they just reused the name... Road and track has said that there were two 6.2l v8's, one being the ls3 paired with the manual trans. and the other being the l99, basically the ls3 with cylinder deactivation and to be paired with the auto tranny.

So basically, no, we don't have to worry about a Gen II being in the camaro...

Were you really worried about that in the first place, I mean come on... it's GM ;)

GTAHVIT 07-18-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowsong (Post 92417)
I'm pretty sure they just reused the name... Road and track has said that there were two 6.2l v8's, one being the ls3 paired with the manual trans. and the other being the l99, basically the ls3 with cylinder deactivation and to be paired with the auto tranny.

So basically, no, we don't have to worry about a Gen II being in the camaro...

Were you really worried about that in the first place, I mean come on... it's GM ;)

Exactly.

But, as others have said, none of this is official until monday.

4thGen 07-18-2008 08:45 PM

A Gen II engine isn't going to be used.

Mythic 07-18-2008 08:57 PM

I havent seen anything confirmed. Those "confirmed" photos of the RS look like "Confirmed" photoshop work.

Until Scott or other reputable GM source says so I don't think speculation should be rubber stamped as gospel.

jmliptak 07-18-2008 09:08 PM

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6950

The RS is the V6. LS and LT are option packages, go build a Cobalt on the Chevy website and I think you will understand.

Per Road and Track, the L99 is the version of the LS3 that will come with the auto and has AFM, etc. That is consistent with what we heard before, that the auto and the manual would have different HP numbers. And current AFM does not work with a manual, so it fits.

"Those who choose the Tremec 6060 manual will get the LS3 from the Corvette, while buyers opting for the 6-speed automatic will get the L99 V-8 with active fuel management, which cycles back and forth between four and eight cylinders to boost fuel economy. The LS3 is expected to make about 420 bhp and 408 lb.-ft. of torque, while the L99 is estimated at 395 bhp and 395 lb.-ft. of torque. The V-6 will run on regular unleaded gasoline, while both V-8s are specified to take premium."

This was noted above Shadowsong above, this is the details they posted.

The_Blur 07-18-2008 09:22 PM

I have a new theory about the RS that allows for the RS to be a V8 package.

• 500-hp Camaro Z28 (LSA or something else badass)—everyone's favorite car to speculate
• 416-hp Camaro SS (LS3)
• 395-hp Camaro RS (L99)
• 295-hp Camaro LT (LLT plus option and appearance package)
• 295-hp Camaro LS (LLT without LT package)
• 260-hp Camaro (LNF)—not confirmed but debated

This would allow for 2 V8s and a performance RS trim.

This is only a theory.

boxmonkeyracing 07-18-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 92453)
I have a new theory about the RS that allows for the RS to be a V8 package.

• 500-hp Camaro Z28 (LSA or something else badass)—everyone's favorite car to speculate
• 416-hp Camaro SS (LS3)
• 395-hp Camaro RS (L99)
• 295-hp Camaro LT (LLT plus option and appearance package)
• 295-hp Camaro LS (LLT without LT package)
• 260-hp Camaro (LNF)—not confirmed but debated

This would allow for 2 V8s and a performance RS trim.

This is only a theory.


good theory can't wait till monday.

btw I believe FBodfather confirmed the Z28 on camaroz28.com. posted it in the confirmend and unconfirmed thread you started.

pinkcamaro10 07-18-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 92453)
I have a new theory about the RS that allows for the RS to be a V8 package.

• 500-hp Camaro Z28 (LSA or something else badass)—everyone's favorite car to speculate
• 416-hp Camaro SS (LS3)
• 395-hp Camaro RS (L99)
• 295-hp Camaro LT (LLT plus option and appearance package)
• 295-hp Camaro LS (LLT without LT package)
• 260-hp Camaro (LNF)—not confirmed but debated

This would allow for 2 V8s and a performance RS trim.

This is only a theory.

That makes sence to me, i hope you are right.

except all of the pics of the RS have manual trans.

Dan 07-18-2008 11:41 PM

Sorry but I am unconvinced that an L99 even exists. I find some of the leaked info hard to believe and relying on Car and Driver or Motor Trend for any kind of accurate info is just inviting disappointment.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.