Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Recommend new Clutch, LS-9? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524246)

GMteSSted 03-25-2018 09:43 AM

Recommend new Clutch, LS-9?

I need to replace the clutch in my Z/28, the original made it 11k miles and 15+ track days.

I'm looking for a replacement with a lighter flywheel and no chatter.
Thinking about going with the OEM LS-9, any comments or suggestions?

Anyone have experience with a different replacement that meets the two criteria? I'm not really wanting to break the bank on a high dollar racing clutch.

Any slave cylinder recommendations are appreciated too.

Thanks!

Dutchman427 03-25-2018 10:43 AM

Give Steve @ Monster Clutch a call.

ronchev 03-26-2018 07:24 AM

From what I have found the LS9 is heavier but stronger.
I wanted lighter too but not small race type clutch so after much looking around and reading I just installed a stage 2 Diamond clutch kit with there billet steel flywheel, its 15 pounds lighter than the LS7 clutch combo and higher load rating than stock. I have not tried it yet as Ive not finished engine mods Im working on.

xc_SS/RS 03-26-2018 08:09 AM

you could go back to stock but with a fidanza lightweight flywheel. not sure which flywheel you would need though. Monster is also a good choice. if you have the coin you could look at RPS carbon clutches.

if you do a search on ls1tech for lightweight clutch options you will get much better search results

frenchsquared 03-26-2018 08:37 AM

11k miles and 15 track days? Seems GM should be replacing that clutch. Im at 8k miles and over 20 track days. I notice it slipping more and more when pulling in and out of the garage, but never thought it might be getting bad. This clutch has slipped going in and out of the garage since they day the car was built. Wonder if GM will replace mine.

Nick S 03-26-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchman427 (Post 10121338)
Give Steve @ Monster Clutch a call.

+1

ronchev 03-26-2018 03:16 PM

I tried to get mine covered under bumper to bumper last year for a noise when you push the peddle down witch I believed was something in the pressure plate auto adjustment mechanism that the stock cover has with no luck, and I'm an ex Chevrolet tech that still knows people in the field. Dumb luck I'm not sure but I spent a lot of time trying to figure if I wanted to get the stock LS7 clutch (great price) or upgrade and try to cut a few pounds off the heavy Stock set up.

As a side not I know this is not the place but I do have a new Fidanza aluminum LS7 flywheel that I did not use that never been out of the box. I will post it in correct place for sale at some point.

Schlok 03-27-2018 07:49 AM

LS9 clutch is twin disc and should "bolt right up." Probably a reasonable cost/performance option...

2SSRS@Gen5diy 03-27-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlok (Post 10123623)
LS9 clutch is twin disc and should "bolt right up." Probably a reasonable cost/performance option...

Hi, no it's not a drop in, the fly wheels are not the same, you need a new one that made for our 6 bolt cranks, and mates to the ls9 clutch, then you need a spacer for the trow out bearing. They sale a kit for this upgrade.

JusticePete 03-27-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMteSSted (Post 10121285)
I need to replace the clutch in my Z/28, the original made it 11k miles and 15+ track days.

I'm looking for a replacement with a lighter flywheel and no chatter.
Thinking about going with the OEM LS-9, any comments or suggestions?

Anyone have experience with a different replacement that meets the two criteria? I'm not really wanting to break the bank on a high dollar racing clutch.

Any slave cylinder recommendations are appreciated too.

Thanks!

Stock power?

Road course use?

pat_t 03-27-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronchev (Post 10122817)
I tried to get mine covered under bumper to bumper last year for a noise when you push the peddle down witch I believed was something in the pressure plate auto adjustment mechanism that the stock cover has...

I had a problem at just 1000 miles with the adjustment mechanism being set wrong. A new cover and friction plate sorted it.

I have the original cover/pressure plate in my garage - at some point I want to see if the adjustment mechanism can be correctly reset.

If I went aftermarket I would go multiplate - maybe the Quartermaster setup Russ has on the Fusion of Ideas car or Tilton full carbon. Good mass and intertia savings to be had that way. Makes the engine more revvy and responsive.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1414117684

GMteSSted 03-27-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 10123716)
Stock power?

Road course use?

Stock power, yes for now, may up the cam later.

Road Course mostly, some street.

Pete , you may remember driving my Z/28 on the autocross at Camarofest this past year.

GMteSSted 03-27-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS (Post 10122206)
you could go back to stock but with a fidanza lightweight flywheel. not sure which flywheel you would need though. Monster is also a good choice. if you have the coin you could look at RPS carbon clutches.

if you do a search on ls1tech for lightweight clutch options you will get much better search results

I've talked with Steve at Monster, nice guy. I'm concerned about some of the monsters users who have complained about squealing and chatter.
Not familiar with fidanza, will check them out.

GMteSSted 03-27-2018 03:39 PM

Been looking at the Mantic clutch kit too, anyone have experience with this brand?