Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Camaro SS Launch Control (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5518)

jdpickering 07-25-2008 02:12 PM

Camaro SS Launch Control
 
It is said that the SS Camaro with the Manual Transmission will have Launch Control. How will this work? Everything I've seen on launch control is targeted toward Automatics wth pattle Shifters. You put the car in launch mode rev the motor and let off the break. It turns town Traction Control put the computer to allow the car to max out RPM's before shifting and just optimizes the shift points. Well it can't do all this on a Manual because you control the shift points and you control the clutch so what do they mean the SS Manual will have launch control?

av8r 07-25-2008 02:21 PM

Ill bet you it will have some cool features. I think the Cobalt SS TC has both launch control and no lift shift.

1973z-man 07-25-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by av8r (Post 100220)
Ill bet you it will have some cool features. I think the Cobalt SS TC has both launch control and no lift shift.

Launch control and no lift shift....sounds like what we used on the drag strip 30+ years ago except it was holding the brake down while mashing the gas peddle with an auto, and speed shifting with a manual.

When speed shifting a manual you do not lift, you nail the clutch fast and yank it hard through the gears. You better be good and you better be fast or you'll be taking your crankshaft home in the trunk. But, if you were good and fast you were just about unbeatable.

Launch control and no lift shift....I like it!!

jmliptak 07-25-2008 06:40 PM

Same idea but now done for you with computers, must take some of the fun out doing it well...

Mindz 07-25-2008 07:00 PM

Powershifting is dangerous, and sounds like a lot of fun while it's under warranty. =P

"Tach it up! Tach it up! Buddy, gonna shut you dooooooooown!"

fastball 07-25-2008 07:11 PM

If I remember the way it works on the Cobalt SS, you can hold the gas to the floor in every gear without letting up to shift. When you stomp the clutch, it holds the revs right where they are when you stomp the clutch for a second or two while you shift.

Without it, you'd either bounce the rev limiter, or as 1973z-man said, carry your crankshaft as you walk home.

Craig 07-25-2008 07:51 PM

I don't care what it's got so long as it's defeatable.

CamaroSpike23 07-25-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 100460)
I don't care what it's got so long as it's defeatable.

but what if its beneficial to those who dont know how to double clutch?

gunslinger 07-25-2008 09:01 PM

I too would will want to be able to defeat it.

I want to drive my car, not have some computer do it for me.

If everyone used this "launch control" how could we ever be expected to learn to to actually launch a high HP car.

Granted it will be great for those impromptu light-to-light races on the street, but for someone trying to "learn" their car, computer nanny's will only hurt them...unless it is defeatable.

Supermans 07-25-2008 11:39 PM

Will it be holding the gas and break down at the same time for the auto???

CamaroSpike23 07-26-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunslinger (Post 100515)
I too would will want to be able to defeat it.

I want to drive my car, not have some computer do it for me.

If everyone used this "launch control" how could we ever be expected to learn to to actually launch a high HP car.

Granted it will be great for those impromptu light-to-light races on the street, but for someone trying to "learn" their car, computer nanny's will only hurt them...unless it is defeatable.

cus you dont have to launch at redline if you know what you are doing. too many people just redline the **** out of their cars and dump the clutch. really good way to jack up your drive train. if we can get a full dyno sheet on these cars and see where the tq curve lies, then find the right rpm to dump it at.

o2camaross 07-26-2008 08:00 AM

well with any production/stock gen III/IV motor the peak torque should be between 4,000-4,600. I KNOW there is no way with stock tires you can launch it at that rpm and expect anything more than just boiloing the tires. Not to mention hurting the drivetrain. i will start launnching it at 2,000 rpm and be moving up in 200 rpm incriments. im really curious as to how this launch control is supposed to work

stovt001 07-26-2008 03:32 PM

Usually MT, C&D, Edmunds, etc will publish what they found to be the ideal launch revs. With launch control the computer is programmed to hold revs at what GM's engineers found to be ideal launch revs. The feature was pretty well regarded in all reviews I've read of the new Cobalt SS.

The_Blur 07-26-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o2camaross (Post 100717)
well with any production/stock gen III/IV motor the peak torque should be between 4,000-4,600. I KNOW there is no way with stock tires you can launch it at that rpm and expect anything more than just boiloing the tires. Not to mention hurting the drivetrain. i will start launnching it at 2,000 rpm and be moving up in 200 rpm incriments. im really curious as to how this launch control is supposed to work

That's a really great way to test it. Try it at a track to get some time comparisons. :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.